Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I put a $1000 deposit down on the Focus RS at MSRP. Incredibly easy stuff took around 40 minutes. Now for my impatient rear end to wait until this car is built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I test drove the R and the creature comforts were nice but I'm at the point in my life where I know in a few years I will have kids and I want the balls to the wall insanity of the RS while I can enjoy it. Also the dealer was asking for a 1.5k markup and wouldn't budge so gently caress that.

skipdogg posted:

Nice! Congrats!
Thanks, I plan to love and enjoy it resposibly.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 14, 2015

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The soundaktor is weird as gently caress. Completely threw me off in the R I test-drove. I didn't even know it had it but I asked the salesguy what was up and he was like yeah I'd just unplug that.

39 otd sounds like you got it at MSRP or a little less.

The Pell sounds like that dealer is full of poo poo. Good luck on your search for MSRP :/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Acky posted:

Starting to get cold here, and found a great deal on some comedy option winter wheels for my Fost

Those are awesome as gently caress. Good buy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

1st to 2nd is still a tough shift for me.

What makes this shift difficult?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

We got our first real snowstorm last night. Coming in to work this morning was a blast. AWD in the R with proper winter tires I was able to launch from a stand still on snow to 60mph with no trouble. This car is hilariously fun in the snow. The only issues it had was changing lanes and having to go through the giant slush piles between lanes. I actually made my commute in to work faster than normal because I didn't have to get on the road until 8:30 :)

This sounds awesome and I'm excited for next winter since the RS won't be here in time for this one.

The Ferret King posted:

I can't blame rev hang entirely. But I'll try more driving in sport/off modes to see if I notice smoother 1st to 2nd shifts.

Rev hang seems so silly to me. Who is it helping?

Me the guys that's never daily driven a manual and is buying a Focus RS.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

But only for, like, the first month, then you'll be shifting faster than a granny and it's a nuisance.

Yeah this is definitely true, but then I switch it to sport for daily driving if my rear end can handle it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My RS has been selected for scheduling! Earliest estimated arrival is Feb 22nd. This finally feels real.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: where the hell do you put a front plate on the RS

Oh gently caress, New Jersey requires a visible front plate :negative:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So from talk on other forums(oh god why do I subject myself to this?) the Focus RS build has been delayed to starting on the week of 2/29. I wish I could get some info from Ford trickled down to my dealer rather than having to go by hearsay on other forums. I hope the car is worth the wait.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Electric Pigeon posted:

Focus RS reviews are out today, for those so interested.
It's a jizz machine.

autocar
evo
autoexpress
car & driver
automobile

I'm going to enjoy the gently caress out of this car.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Because the RS time is 0-62.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I ordered the RS in black because the blue would just get me pulled over a bunch. I also don't like it as much as the blue they used to announce the car which Ford keeps under wraps only for concepts. I was kind of annoyed at being limited to 4 colors for the car but whatever.

Edit: Got the build date for my RS its Feb 4th and I am hype as gently caress!!!!!!!

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 28, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well the Focus RS has been delayed. I'm considering going to look at a Golf R again.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Link? I googled and all I found were old articles.

http://s860.photobucket.com/user/njedpx3/media/RS%20Delay.png.html

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's hoping for the best. I should probably just save up a bigger down payment but my car is on its last legs and I rather not spend money to keep it running.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

Judging by the GT350R there will probably be markups for quite a while too.

I managed to get a dealer charging MSRP so that a big factor keeping me on the hook. Dealers around me were looking for markup on the Golf R as well which is what initially made me decide to wait. I guess I should just be patient and expect a June delivery and maintain my current vehicle accordingly.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My Focus RS finally got built! Is it too soon to start planning track days?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

Congrats! Hope you get it soon.

I'm starting to look into building an ST for myself. It'll be my first new car and first manual, upgrading from an '06 Jetta TDI. I apologize in advance to every driver stuck behind me as I stall 84 times at every stoplight.

This is going to be my first manual daily too. We can be cool stall bros. The ST would have been what I bought if they hadn't announced the RS.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

101 pages in, I finally get to vote in the poll.

I don't have enough words for how excited I am to have this thing.

Sweet color. Enjoy!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

They're doing the octane academy for the RS. I don't think I can justify flying from the east cost though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mariana Horchata posted:

I figured they would eventually have a different event entirely, just not anytime soon. Is it the same as the ST event or do they actually let you do a lot more?

No one knows yet as the only reason people know about it is Ford sent out a die-cast model of the RS and a letter of invitation to a few people that ordered. I imagine it will be the same thing with maybe some special skid pad drift mode time. Still waiting for ANY information from Ford about what my order status is. All I know is my car is built and sitting in Germany. The wait is hell. I have to say I lucked out though because there are horror stories about dealers taking deposits and putting in orders without allocations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

What's the deal with RS availability? Can anyone test drive one soon or will it be preorder only nonsense forever.

Car's are being produced in Germany but have not begun to ship over yet. You won't be able to test drive one for quite a long while I imagine.

For chip talk, can I wrap my car and put opticoat on it? I want it to live in a bubble. For sure doing an autoflex wrap the day I take delivery just want to know what else I can do.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

So now you guys have me aimless cruising youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olYfUTfV2g

:negative: ugh

That sounds so loving awesome. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a Fiesta ST and saved a bit more scratch for my wedding.

Edit: I doubt I will feel this way once my car gets here though.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 25, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

The idea of which wheels being driven changing at the limit when balance is already precarious sounds terrible. And it is terrible. And lazy. I'm sure the Golf R is awesome, but I am boring and like predictability.

So what do you think about the Fpcus RS' twinster system? It can direct 80% of power to the rear and then 100% of that power to the outside wheel during a turn.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Very solid winter wheel choice.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Sad trombone. Time to buy a red one.

Glad you're safe. Enjoy new car smell!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

There are Focus RS' on American soil in owner's hands now. gently caress if I know when my order will get here but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

did you find a dealership that didn't add an extra fee on top of the price?

Yeah I have an agreement to buy at MSRP. OTD prices is set at 39,800.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

I've basically just decided that my next car has to be a Focus. I got a base model Focus as a rental, and that thing was a loving blast to beat the poo poo out of. The automatic transmission is terrible at hunting and being completely neurotic, but all the sporty trims are manual so that's not a problem. My only question now is whether the RS is worth the premium over the ST. I travel for work 99% of the time, so it will really just be a weekend fun car.

Do the RS and be my bro. I'll post a review that will probably just echo everything else you can find on the net. It's coming into Newark on Monday, but loving lol if that means anything there's cars that arrived in early May still sitting in Newark. Yet people in California have their cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zY3jCGTiQ

I've enjoyed this guys videos as a real world review.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My RS is finally at the dealer! Picking it up tomorrow is going to be so good.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Pell posted:

When did you order?

Mine was ordered in January and still hasn't been built.

I ordered back in October when the order banks first opened. This car is nuts. I don't have many points of reference the only other truly fast car I've driven recently was a Lamborghini at one of those parking lot hot lap groupon things which my gf got me as a gift and that was a few years ago. All I can say is this thing is fast, and then you put it in sport mode and it gets faster, evil, and mean. It's a joy to drive. It's my first manual so I was stalling a bunch getting home from the dealer, but I went for a drive with a friend who came to see it, and he got me to calm down and gave me tips. It's going to be fun learning with this car. I'm going to book a track day in a month or two and enjoy.

Edit: the first time it did the back-fire thing I felt like a kid playing Gran Turismo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ehud posted:

Your first manual was a Focus RS? :psyberger:

Mine was a 1996 Honda Civic haha

Yeah I jumped into the deep end. I rode a motorcycle as my only vehicle for 4 years and I've driven manual cars before but just for a lap around a park or something. My Fiance's father also took me out one day back in October when I first ordered the car, but I didn't keep practicing because I thought I had it. I was wrong, you totally need to practice and there's a level of performance anxiety to it as well. It's fun as gently caress though and so much more satisfying than auto but god drat are people behind you jerks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I am, but I am getting a wrap and xpel and also will only be parking in two car spots. Looking for a garage if I can though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sigma X posted:

I hope this means "I have two spots reserved and I am parking across both of them" and not "I'm just parking across two spots because my car is more important than everyone else's".

No I mean I've been making mental notes of the spots around my apartment and I'm confident I can get one of the spots in a two car one every day. So hopefully no one will be parallel parking near the car. Definitely still sharing the spots.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Getting honks and thumbs up on the way home from work was something else. Best Focus ever.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is booking a track day in September too soon for a novice fast car and manual transmission driver? Because I really want to drive this thing fast.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

These all seem like very reasonable and thought out suggestions. Going to try to find some auto-x near me and then doing something at this track by the end of the season I hope.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh I didn't mean fast as in fast laps. Just want to actually get on the throttle responsibly And in more than a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Don't pay above MSRP for the RS. MSRP is fine let the dealership get some scratch for actually getting you the car.