Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can I play with my 2.0 Golf TDI? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why can't we have nice things in the US?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People already bitch about the GTI being underpowered and over priced and it would cost quite a bit more than the GTI. There isn't a market that makes sense, unfortunately.

Yeah, I get it. The A3 sells like a turd due to the price. The Golf R sells pretty well though, strangely enough.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that a wrap, plastidip or paint?

Pretty sure I remember the original post and it was a wrap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

All this Focus ST chat made me check some prices near me.

Dealer has a 2013 ST3 with the tangerine scream paint for $23k before TTL. Price seems really low, wonder if I'm missing something.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Laranzu posted:

Used? ST3 Tangerine Screams were MSRPing around 30k. The ST2s are MSRPing around 26k or so. There aren't any good incentives either. It has to be a mislabeled ST1.

Says 0 miles. Has the Recaros and what looks like the HIDs on the front end pics. The "Window Sticker" you can view has the 202A package on it, MSRP $29,525. Internet price $22,999.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

mazdas oscillating air vents

I miss these. So awesome.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Counterpoint

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does anyone know how the ST suspension compares to the Titanium w/ the handling package option? Ride height and such are similar I would imagine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You'd think Ford would have learned from other hot hatches. The first gen Speed3 had the same issue.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The rate gas is going down and diesel isn't I've been tempted to try to find a GolfR lately.

I'm actually in almost the same boat. 2011 Golf TDI, 2 door but in the best color (Shark Blue). My commute is going to go to next to nothing here (18k-20k to around 5k) so I can get something really stupid. The S2000's siren song is difficult to resist here in Texas but I can see how Colorado would make it exceedingly impractical. I love the R32 but the price to power ratio seems odd. The ST models from Ford are also a great value but I think I need a switch from FWD.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Love the performance blue. The lady has it on the Focus, looks almost purple in the sunlight.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Has to be neon green

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Alternate each spoke in a rainbow effect

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think the Mk6 Golf R still looks slightly better, but I won't complain because the nicer interior and power make up for it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1791apparel posted:

Is there a US Focus ST package breakdown anywhere?

All local dealers don't differentiate between the packages, couple that with shoddy photos and its hard to tell what is what. Does anyone have a no BS breakdown?

I really like the Recaro seats, but from what I gather that's ST2 and up.

Thanks!

PS: any performance or suspension differences among the twins?

For the ST - you'll want to scroll down and click 201A (ST2) and 202A (ST3)
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/st5door/

The twins meaning the Subaru/Scion? No performance difference, apparently some slight suspension tweaks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love VW but buying a generation not known for reliability from a newer car seems a bad choice.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I wish Mazda was doing anything at all with the Mazdaspeed brand. There doesn't appear to be a single thing on the horizon.

Supposedly the Speed3 will be back as a 2018 model. Bit of a lag there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Every terrible Mazda forum has some dude with insider info who has a different story. Turbo Skyactive/Turbo Diesl/AWD/RWD etc etc.

This was actually in C&D but not much more reputable. I'd love to see a new MS3 but not holding out a lot of hope.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VWoA sold the A3 hatch in America for years and it was completely unsuccessful. What do you think they should do differently? Continue to push cars that people don't buy?

but I swear I'll buy it if you make it RWD and a manual honest

buys a beater mk4 GTI from a buy here pay here on an 18% APR

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tremek posted:

Out of nostalgia today I dredged up my '08 Mazdaspeed 3's VIN and went Googling to see what had become of it.

Welp. :(

Sad to think what becomes of cars you used to own.

Decal on the back window gives it away. When I sold my Speed3 the guy was overseas originally so I was skeptical when he emailed me to buy it, so I did a bunch of research on him to see if he was legit. I turned up his twitter which happened to use the same name he posted on the Mazdaspeed forums. The horrors that poor car experienced, I was sad to have sold it to him.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That's a TDI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get the DW. Solid tire.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nobody bought the A3 in a hatch anyways, an S3 hatch would be an absolute turd of a seller. The US is not a big fan of premium hatches and having the Golf R + an S3 would be really dumb.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depends on the area. Lot of people got deals on close out 2013s.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

More competition never hurt either. Especially when the WRX hatch is out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A really ugly car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tijag posted:

This is what I'm worrying about. Too much buzz about this car. They are going to be selling it at or above MSRP. I want no part of a GTI that's north of $30k. The options I want put a GTI at about $31.

I'll be holding on to my 04' SI for at least one more year it looks like.

Thats usually the case for the first 6 months or so, then it'll drop. Unless it was something very low production like a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, the price will go down.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

I'm generally not a VW fan, but being in Hong Kong the past couple days and seeing the new Scirocco in the flesh, I have no idea why they aren't bringing it to the US. It gorgeous, intimidating, sleek, and I want one. That thing would sell like hotcakes.

Cannibalize GTI sales.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Atmus posted:

Does the hill assist in FoST's also work facing downhill?

I finally got signed up for the ST Octane academy, so hopefully I will become a better skilled horrible jerk driver!

It does in my Golf. I let off the brake and it takes a couple to roll forward in neutral.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I guess it will be too much to ask for a 2 door if we do get it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Oh trust me, they still do. The 2dr Golf is more expensive than the 4dr Golf even with it being a TDI. I pay an extra 10 bucks a month because I'm missing 2 doors.

I really doubt it's due to the doors, no big insurance company uses "# of doors" as a rating factor. A 2 door may have a higher statistical payout in an accident, or be involved in more accidents, but the cost isn't higher just due to more doors.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Article loses all credibility when they mention the return of the rotary.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mazda 6 coupe & diesel hybrid, MS3, RX-9 are all mentioned in there. I'm not holding my breath.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The day it's officially announced, I mean actual confirmation, awd, turbos etc, I will stop buying stupid poo poo and start saving. I want to be the first AIer to own one.

You'll have to beat me first :clint:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'll beat you with a brick!

For serious, we can be car bros. I've wanted a Focus RS since this

And it's about time we got a chance at them.

Miatas, RSs, yessss

I hope they offer some really obnoxious colors. I want a lime green one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I've made my decision on my next car. In march I'm trading the FR-S for a FiST and getting myself an old early 90s miata as a project car. I test drove the Fiesta ST a week ago and it was so much fun to drive. It was just as fun as the FR-S and much more comfortable. The shifter feels great. Whatever they do with torque vectoring really takes away the boring parts of front wheel drive and makes this car a joy to just whip around. It's going to be a difficult 3 months.

Why would you do all the mods just to get rid of the car in a few months?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I put my winter tires on the FiST this morning was surprised and annoyed that there are no good front or rear jacking points so I can jack up one end of the car at once to put it on stands. I ended up having to jack it up in the corners and squeeze a stand in next to the jack. I searched around various forms and couldn't find anything definitive about front or rear jacking points other than the corners. Annoying.

The jacking points should be listed in the manual?

http://fiestast.net/attachments/jacking-jpg.899/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Well blocking the symposer didn't make the sound go away but I can reproduce them reliably only on certain sections of roads so I'm thinking it's the snow tires. I'm unblocking the symposer later today because now the cool noises are gone so all I'm left with is some really quiet gear wine and tire/wind noise.

Its certainly possible. They repaved a section near my house and it makes a weird whistling noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

You wouldn't imagine how many people have given me poo poo for having a fiesta since I got it, thinking it's a base model. Nobody knows what these cars are. Even when I say it's the ST they respond "yeah, but it's still a Fiesta." The color and the plate on my car will likely get me pulled over someday, but the fact that it's a Fiesta ST won't, and the same is probably true about the RS.

The Golf R is fast but a lot of the practicality of these little cars is removed when there's only 2 doors, and it was also rather sedate for what it was. The gear shift felt slightly better than my wife's base model Jetta, and while the acceleration was quick, the car was really quiet and overall kind of boring.

I'm 36, and the only other guy's I know with an ST (either Focus or Fiesta) have been near 40 so your experience is similar to mine.

Well, they're both only 4 doors.