Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

It would surprise me if there are 11 million of any other engine out there emitting 40 times the pollution level than they are legally obligated to.

The scale of what they did, is a bit staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

fyodor posted:

40x is that confirmed? The reporting I read didn't give me much confidence we have the true severity of the crime. I think I read "10 to 40" times which, while being egregious either way, is quite a big difference.

In the tests, conducted over five pre-defined routes categorized based on their predominant driving conditions (highway, urban/suburban, and rural-up/downhill driving), real-world nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from the Jetta exceeded the US-EPA Tier2-Bin5 (at full useful life) standard by 15 to 35 times. For the Passat, real-world NOx emissions were 5 to 20 times the standard. The BMW vehicle was generally at or below the standard, and only exceeded it during rural uphill operating conditions. 

The pollution level is not static; it depends on engine load. The "10 to 40 times" range comes from CARB's test which the EPA quoted in their notice of violation to VW

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

The lamb god is an unforgiving god.

Bah'men.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I like my matrix xrs. Warm hatch is a pretty fair description.

6 speed is entertaining, and it's surprisingly roomy. Toyota reliability and parts are no problem.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

^^^ and additionally, only the 03-06 matrix xrs/vibe gt. The second generation xrs was a trim level, no 2zz or 6 speed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

I saw one for $13.5K just before the end of summer. I expect they'll be sub $10K in another year and that will be the time to pick one up.
Same

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Herr Tog posted:

Hi Thread,

over joyed that you exist. How do you feel about buying used hot hatches? I know I may, like any car, have put a bit into it once I buy it but are the habits of first owners to well known(harsh) that I should avoid such options?

What models are you looking at?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

This mean you want 4wd/awd? If so that limits your options, especially with your budget (I think).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I dunno how leases work, but would VW or whoever actually owns the car need to know about this? Could they hold it over your head somehow when you turn the car in at the end of lease period?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I've noticed that fellow Americans have a lot of poor manual trans habits, like holding the car on a hill with the clutch, and leaving the car in gear with clutch depressed when stopped at a light (for example).

So it's not surprising to me, that parking brake hill starts aren't common here. Of course, the US has generally gotten rather torquey options for engines, compared to Europe and elsewhere that may have options with less power even in heavier sedans, where it's not as easy to avoid rolling backwards.

I know in my XRS with no low end torque and a very grabby clutch, using the parking brake is a necessary skill if I don't want to slip the hell out of the clutch on a steep hill. Edit: I have DD'ed a manual for almost 20 years and drive a commercial truck. I had a bmw with hill assist and I loved it. Kind of mind boggling to me that someone would dislike that feature.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 2, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Huge_Midget posted:

If you can't stop on a decent incline in a manual car using only your brakes and the clutch, and then take off again without rolling back less than six inches you really shouldn't be driving one. You get some leeway if you've been driving a manual for less than six months. After six months you should be plenty proficient to take off without using a hill holder or a parking brake.

Rolling back *any* is a driving test fail in most of Europe (or so I've heard). It's a skill you should have even if you have manual that is not difficult to modulate.

But I also think you should know how to shift up and down without the clutch (in case of clutch hydraulics failure), but I'm probably not very proficient with a manual in your esteemed opinion.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

That doesn't hurt the clutch disc, it wears out the throwout bearing.

Do whatever you like, it's your car.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Oil change is cheap insurance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

fknlo posted:

I do the oil on my s2000 once a year right before I put it away for winter.

I'm good with once per year, but seems like it would make more sense to do it right before you start driving it? It's just sitting collecting condensation all winter.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

fknlo posted:

This is one of those things with two distinct camps that both have valid points. I went with the one where you change the oil before storing it so you don't have old contaminated oil just hanging out all winter long. I don't think it really makes any kind of difference though. It's just "easier" for me to do it then.

I mean that's cool if that's easier for whatever reason. It probably doesn't make much difference like you say, especially since engines regularly outlast vehicle bodies at this point. I just never thought of 'normal' oil contamination being harmful unless the engine is running, and didn't realize this was an argument with its own camps.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

veedubfreak posted:

Unless you're missing an arm or leg or both, everyone should know how to drive a manual.

Having a manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents around.

My neighbor only has 1 arm and DD's a regular manual Ford ranger.

No excuses!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

All the spark knocking cleans off any residual carbon.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

It's not that a 1 series hatch wouldn't sell here. ...It wouldn't sell at the price point they want.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

Here's a silly question

What would be the bottom of the barrel budget used hot hatch. Something that could be bought for chump change but still have some fun and life in it. Some friends and I have decided to pool our funds and buy a junker this summer and do a stupid Mighty Car Mods style build on it. My first suggestion was an NA Miata but that was shot down so we're thinking a hatchback.

Well there's the matrix xrs/Pontiac vibe gt, it's got a 6 speed manual and the 2zz that revs to over 8k. There's some stuff available for the 2zz, but definitely a car that would benefit dramatically from weight reduction.

SVT focus is a good one, though if you're planning on a junkyard turbo build maybe a regular focus with the lower compression motor would last longer?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The ZX3 Focuses are a really good cost:fast ratio for autocross. They are exceptionally dominant in STF in the local scene, usually for under $400/yr on total race budget.

And if you can't find a zx3, there is the zts focus that had the same 2.3 duratec (qualified as a pzev, and as a side effect of the higher efficiency hey guess what more power).

I remember c&d talking about what a bargain it was, and wasn't being marketed as a sporty version.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I was with geico for years, switched to travelers (via a broker), now I'm on state farm.

Frankly I'm surprised that some of you are able to stay so long at one insurer without them jacking your rates for no reason. So far state farm hasn't, but I've accepted as fact that every few years I'll check around and switch everything over.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I think I'm going with avoiding accidents as a reflex, and not thinking about it much past that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

It's probably fine to pull it.

Just don't plan on pulling it up a boat ramp with much slope.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Ya I use the hell out of a sunroof

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

Being under 6 feet tall I have never had an issue with a sunroof.

Being under 6 feet but over 5'10", I haven't either.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

The Fiesta is just fine for no kids though. And even if, my fiance's Scion had great back seats.

Oh?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Toyota did that for awhile in the mid-00's

It was sensitive enough on my Matrix that the mismatched (compound, not size) tires that the OP had on it would trip the alarm occasionally.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Or when you're in a tunnel and want to be a child.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Warbird posted:

I meant to ask, is there any weirdness with FWD vehicles I should know about? I’ve only ever had RWD before now.

I think you've discovered most of it already.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Larrymer posted:

Which kit did you use? Bolts are terrible.

.... Do you say that as an engineer or as a GTI owner who swaps winter and summer tires?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Larrymer posted:

Both, really (more so the latter, but I'm still an engineer ). Bolts do the job fine, but it's way more of a pain in the rear end vs. studs when it comes to hanging a wheel.

I gotcha, I just wondered if there was an engineering reason when you said that.

That being said, hanging heavy wheels that are hub-centric is easier with bolts if you can lock the hub down.... Like a stick on the brake pedal. ...Or a friend for people who still have friends in their 30's.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 4, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I met a couple in their mid-60's today who owned a pair of FiSTs as their DDs. One black and one white. Both modified.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will loving fight you, i'm from Vermont

all the cars I've driven with an EPB are automatic but i can only think of one intersection where I consistently use the handbrake in a manual car

I used to think this before the XRS. A low-torque motor with a light flywheel and unforgiving clutch material will make you use the handbrake.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I hope it isn't related to this:

doogle posted:

My wife has a ‘17 Civic EX-T (the 1.5t engine) with ~30k miles and I was driving it yesterday. I noticed that when you go full throttle there is a squeak/squeal that definitely isn’t normal. I checked forums for other reports of the noise, but found that there is a problem with the new 1.5t engines and oil dilution from fuel seeping past the rings. I checked the oil and it is about an inch over the full dot. I took a sample of the oil to send to black stone, but is there anything else I should do? The dealer visit is tomorrow. She drives about 100 miles a day and we picked this car because we figured it would last 6 years/200k miles. It definitely won’t with fuel for oil.

Haunted hatch for real.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Go hose off your car and live your life. If you hosed up, it will throw emissions codes. It's probably fine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Beats all you ever saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was Björn

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

You tell Rubert he can come see his kids ANYTIME HE WANTS

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Thread title is on point.

I was under the impression that both the FiST/FoST are pretty reliable unless you crank up the boost, which isn't surprising. Is that not right? I'm probably in the market for a ~$10k used hot hatch soon and one of those are at the top of my list.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I've been keeping an eye out for a used fiesta st locally.... Just a desert here for hatches. Local Ford dealer has a new '19 listed for $24k, but it's black and it's too drat hot here for that even if I was willing to eat the depreciation.

Carvana has a white ’16 for $17.7k with less than 17k miles on it. Kinda tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

PaintVagrant posted:

If you havent already, get on facebook and search, I see insane deals all the time on FiSTs. Join the various groups and use marketplace, and be willing to travel. Both of the ones you listed are way too expensive.

I used someone else's FB to look cause I don't have one, and probably the biggest thing is "willing to travel" which is already the issue I have. I'm not averse to some distance, but adding in a private seller with a lien and getting out of state temp tags can be trialsome, and my vacation time is limited. Didn't see any deals I would call insane, either.

I'll just keep trolling CL, I guess.

«2 »