Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Glad I found this thread, I purchased a '14 Fiesta ST last weekend and I love it. Good gas mileage, snappy acceleration and the interior seems to be near the same size as the 07 Impreza I had before.
I have a rather juvenile question, but is there a way I can get an idea of how loud an aftermaket cone intake would be? I've heard the BPV is rather pronounced when not using the factory air box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

That's a drat good deal for a loaded ST. I love mine but I wish I had found one with Recaro's, unfortunately just finding a Fiesta ST locally was difficult (plenty of Focus ST's for some reason though).

Just get ready for almost everyone to compliment it with "what a cute little car". To which the only response is :getin:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Have either of you played around with the ESC much? It's been a winter wonderland here, so I haven't been able to really get into the turns yet. So far I gather that you press it once for limited ESC, and hold it down to turn it off completely?

And back to these tires, when Ford says that the tires on it aren't meant for temperatures under 40 degrees, they aren't joking.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

joe944 posted:

I find it odd that this thread about the Focus and Fiesta ST has a poll with the WRX/STI as the clear winner.

So, here's the 14' WRX I bought about 3 weeks ago now.

That looks amazing.

My last car was an 07 Impreza base , and I loved it to death. When I started looking for cars I originally wanted a '12 or '13 WRX, but locally even those were more expensive than the Fiesta ST. I would surely have one if I had the money though.

For the other Fiesta ST'ers, some people on another car board are recommending that you check the clamps for the turbo piping. I guess quite a few have found that the clamps are loose and need tightening. I'm not sure if this is something that just happens with turbo cars, they were actually not tightened, or it's just something people are doing and thinking they are improving the performance.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Anyone have experience with a Cobb AccessPort on the Fiesta ST? I'm trying to wait around until more mods are available, but I've been hearing some good things about the Cobb, and I just received my tax refund money a couple days ago :heysexy:

For reference, I am just looking to upgrade to something like the Cobb and maybe an intake. I don't want anything that is going to void the warranty or hurt the daily availability of the car

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm sure you probably already know, but if you hold down the on that button that brings up the avg mpg, it will reset it, giving you closer to a real time MPG.

I keep looking at an accessport. I'm not sure if I should just go for it, or wait 6 months when more aftermarket is available. Then again, if the Focus is any indication, Accessport is going to be the best for the money anyway

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm mainly interested in the torque gains the 91 octane map gives. I can't lie though, all those gauges bouncing around will be pretty cool.

What eco leaf thing? Is that on the same panel, or something on the MFT?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Bajaha posted:

OTD price ended up around $31k (The pricing you US guys get just south of the border is unfair :cry:)

:stare: For that much, you could get a new, well-equipped WRX here in Ohio.. May I ask how much such a car would in your area, for reference?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Wow. I feel much better about your purchase at least. At first I thought the dealer had swindled you, but now I see it was probably actually a decent deal

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I saw this on another forum, thought I would pass it on.

Edge Autosports posted:

Tax Return Sale at EdgeAutosport!
THIS SALE IS STARTING ON FEBRUARY 1, 2014 AND WILL END ON MARCH 31, 2014!

Tax season has come around again and its that time of the year when we do our Tax Return sale. Similar to last year, the deal is simple. The more you spend the more you save.

$500 or more - GET 5% OFF
$1000 or more - GET 6% OFF
$2000 or more - GET 7% OFF
$3000 or more - GET 8% OFF

COUPON CODES for INSTANT DISCOUNTS
$500 or more - Tax1
$1000 or more - Tax2
$2000 or more - Tax3
$3000 or more - Tax4

It's that simple. Here are the rules.

*DOES NOT combine with other offers that we normally do.
*Based ONLY on WEBSITE PRICES
*Some parts and manufacturers not included

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Is there a 'best' Fiesta ST board? I am use to cars having a single definitive message board

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I saw that advertised as a benefit of buying an ST. Too bad I'm in Ohio! You would have thought they would have secured a couple tracks throughout the US to really take advantage of this

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Atmus posted:

Utah is JUST barely close enough for me to go to for something like that, but I didn't get an invitation :(

You don't need an invite, I believe if you bought a '14 ST you are entitled to it.

http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/

e; Yep

ST academy FAQ posted:

Who is eligible to attend?
Anyone who purchased and took delivery of a 2013 or 2014 model year Ford Focus ST or Ford Fiesta ST prior to April 1, 2014 will have one year from the date of the first available class in 2014 to register and attend an ST Octane Academy program. Anyone purchasing and taking delivery of a 2013 or 2014 model year Ford Focus St or Ford Fiesta ST after April 1, 2014 will have one calendar year from your delivery date to register and attend an ST Octane Academy program

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

1791apparel posted:

I just got back from the shop with my Focus ST.

I had the stock resonator and muffler removed and replaced with a Flowmaster DBX and Flowmaster 4" tips. I've also got a COBB air filter, and a Boomba Racing BOV.

The video makes it sound a bit higher in tone then it really is. It doesn't drone, and is nice and quiet until 3K rpm+. For $300 all-in (all parts) it was a great purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQuWx9pFRA

PS: Bajaha, I hope things work out!

Won't switching from a BPV to BOV throw all kinds of things off? What is the benefit of switching (besides sound, I guess)?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Welp, down the rabbit hole I go. I ordered a Cobb AP & a drop in air filter (package deal) shipped for $490. Hopefully it gets here next week.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Anyone know what size 'star' bit I need to change the air filter on a Fiesta ST?

e;Found it. For reference, It is a T20 bit

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 20, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I got the Accessport today and just finished installing it. I have to say that was kind of tense. There was one point were MFT went completely black and then a window came up saying "Key not detected" and nothing happened for what felt like forever, but was probably 5 or 10 seconds.

I have only took it for one short drive so far, and it feels 'uncapped', but it's not delivering smooth power when I accelerate in 3rd gear or above. Its like it 'hiccups' randomly. I'm attributing this to being a brand new install and the car just re-learning. If it keeps up I will reinstall the map.

I have read some reports that 1st gear is unusable with the 91 oct install, but it seemed to me that as long as you don't mash it that it isn't unbearable.

I'm off to drive some more, and look for that bit I need to replace the air filter with this cobb one.

1791apparel- I think the FoST does use 8mm bolts to access the air filter. On the FoST, it looks like a screw-head with 'torx' bit.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Finally got the Cobb drop in filter installed, and after a morning of driving around I no longer have any hesitations about having bought the AP. The low/mid range torque gains are fantastic, and it really feels like the car has just improved in all ranges without really effecting mpg. In combination with the air filter it also gave the car more noticeable turbo sound.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Box is back on. The Cobb air filter is about half as tall as stock, so maybe it was muffling things some? It's nothing like a BOV, but driving with the windows down on a rural road, the sound is quite a bit more noticeable than before.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

That is drat nice and I'm jealous as hell.

I'm also interested in a price reference on a ST/GTI. This thread has reinforced how relatively cheap things seem to be where I live.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

No Mazdaspeed 2.. I was hoping for one myself. Try to test drive the Abarath and ST both. Myself (and a few others here) only made it as far as testing the ST. :D

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

Okay I took the Fiesta up highway 9 here in the bay area yesterday, and i've never had that much fun in a car ever. I'm hooked.

Welcome to the club. 4 months later and I'm still having a blast with my ST (I've also already bought a few goodies for it :getin:)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I wish I was as well informed as I am now when I had purchased. I'm sure I could have easily more off. I think I am the kind of customer they love, once I decided I want a car I just want to get it and go.

Matter of fact, one reason I didn't buy from the original dealer I went to (Ricart in Columbus) because they were dead set on making it an all-day endurance marathon. They didn't even have any FiST's. Instead they tried to sell me a new FoST, and then when I said no they tried to talk me into a base Fiesta. Yeah, not a good experience.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

What Mazda needs is to put the rotary engineers back to work. (....And a new MS3)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

Oh ya I'm fine, other than my pride!

$8500 repair estimate and a 2 week wait, that's the kicker

Wowza. What did it run into?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Bajaha posted:

There's another clip out there of that one tearing through a park with kids around before this happens, I think the story was a 14 year old took his grampa's car for a joyride and that's how it ended, don't think he managed to kill/hurt anyone thankfully. Another reason to go for the manual option :colbert:

Wouldn't it be possible for a good lawyer to turn around at least part of this and have the truck driver faulted for the actual accident? I don't see a stop sign facing the direction that the white car came from... and the truck was on the wrong side of the road.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just curious to how this will be dealt with

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Anyone have tips for cleaning Fiesta ST rados? At least twice, with two different very soft clothes, I have gotten a bit of dust trapped and scratched the clear coat of the rim.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Coolnezzz posted:

Can anyone who has purchased the AP give their recommendation to push me over the edge? I just received my year-end bonus at work and it's highly tempting right now...

I bought a 'package' (Cobb AP+ Filter) at EdgeAutoSports when they were having a 10% off sale, so I got both for $500. I also opened up the bottom of the air box. The car really does feel 'uncapped' now, although the air filter/box mod made the BPV so loud that some may not like it. But even if you just keep a stock airbox, I recommend picking up the Cobb air filter, or similar.

Buying a AP is the best performance per dollar mod you will probably ever be able to buy for a FiST, I fully recommend it. And if it turns out you don't like it for some reason, resell value is always sky-high.

The aftermarket is really starting to take off, with numerous vendors selling aftermarket IC's, RMMs and ATP just announcing that they will be shipping bolt-on turbo kits on the 15th. While all of that is tempting, my car is a family truckster first and foremost, so while I might eventually pick up a RMM, IC and DP , I am going to stop short of any mod that might sacrifice reliability or low-end torque for top end performance.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 3, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

This is the first time I have taken a good look at an overseas FiST. What strikes me the most (besides being 2 door) is how cheap they made the interior look and how 'short' the dash is in comparison. Do any of them come with the Sony system or MFT? Is a 6-speed at least an option?

They both look sharp but if we were going on looks alone, I think I like the Swift a little better.

Thanks for posting them

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

You are right, I somehow missed the part about it being an 06. I it wasn't more than a few years old and didn't even realize that they had been making turbo Fiesta's anywhere that long ago. I also didn't know the the 'ST' badge was used before '12, I thought 'SVT' was Ford's performance badge at that time.

For 06 that looks about right then.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I was very fortunate and the second dealership I went to was fantastic. I test drove what is now my FiST (without the salesperson insisting on riding along), and when I walked back in he asked me "what did you think?" , followed up by "Well, if you like it, we can do up the paperwork now. If you would like to think about it I work Monday-Friday, come back in and we'll see what we can do for you". After basically being held hostage at the car lot I previously visited, my jaw about dropped at him saying that. I purchased that night and recommended him to all my friends and family.

gently caress that game playing, I want to test out the car, hear the best number you can do and be done with it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Let's not forget Bajaha's Turbo Veloster fiasco (starts back on page 24). Hopefully the 15's are less 'lemon-ish' than the 14s seemed to be

TrinityOfDeath posted:

The worst one so far has to be the dealer who claimed they had one, but was actually still in transit. They told me on the phone it was on lot, when I got there they said they never claimed that. Great way to make a sale, lying about the car!

Ricart Ford in Columbus that gave me the major runaround. Their website said they had a few FiST, but of course they "hadn't arrived yet". When I told them what I wanted, they insisted I tried the only FoST they had, a 2013. I took it for a spin and made the mistake of saying I like it, but I really wanted to try out a FiST before making any decisions. They ignored that last part and jumped right into the 'monthly payment' game, which basically amounted to they saying I would be paying the same per month (only for you know, something like 12 extra months). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they wanted considerably more for a '13 FoST than what my 14 FiST ended up costing.
Eventually, there argument melted down to 'It costs to drive a sporty car, if you don't want to pay that you might as well go with a base model Fiesta' (which of course they had). That was the last straw and I left. I also must have made them pretty mad, as they didn't even give me the daily phone call follow-ups like most dealerships do. It's a shame, as I would have liked to tell them about the bitchin' deal I got on a '14 FiST across town :getin:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

B-b-but... They're dealin'!

Where did you end up getting the FiST? I test drove a '12 STi hatch at Germain Ford and they treated me pretty good. Kept me for a few minutes to work up an offer sheet for my s2000 and show me some potential monthly payments but didn't go for the hard sell at all.

Kreiger Ford

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Looks good! And probably a wise color choice if you have brake dust as severe as the FiST does.

There was a guy on a ST facebook group that I'm a member of platidip his rado's arctic white. They looked great for pictures, but after a week they were the color that yours are now.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Motor Trend posted:

Also, the automaker will bring back the next generation of its rotary engine that will find a home in the successor to the RX-7 and RX-8 sports cars.

:dance:

Now there's something to be excited about.. Although history tells me I probably shouldn't buy the first year models. 4

(well ok, probably not any year model at all)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Voltage posted:

drat dude, how lightly do you drive it? I have the fiesta and barely crack 22-24mpg, and only hit 30 once on a long highway trip slugging along in sixth the whole time!

How heavy do you drive it? I also have a fiesta and usually don't see less than 28 mpg average. Highway driving is low to mid 30's. I also have an accessport, which seems to have improved fuel economy some what (when driving normally).

Go pick that thing up, Cthulhuite. You won't regret it. Make sure to account for buying snow tires if you live somewhere that gets ANY snow. Those summer tires are suicide in any type of winter weather.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I think your choices are limited if you want to stay with 17's and not rub. Most people run a 16" or even 15". You could always buy stock 16" rims from a 10+ Focus for cheap and then run whatever tires you wanted.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

With a FiST, the most bang for your buck that you will ever get is the Cobb AP and air filter drop-in. It really makes quite a difference, and can easily be removed. EdgeAutoSPorts has 10% off sale almost every holiday and you can get both for $450 shipped, so you might watch for that if you do decide.

An intercooler is the next 'power' upgrade from that, but the Price:gain ratio is no where near as good. The stock IC and exhaust are both adequate on the FiST and I would keep them unless you want to run a more aggressive map, or are upgrading the turbo.

And I'm thirding the winter tires.

e; If you are buying the car in Germany be aware that they are MAF-tuned, where as the US-spec FiST's are not, so a Cobb AP (and many other US-spec parts) will not work it. But the good news is that they have had the car several years longer than us, so the aftermarket is bigger.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 7, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Focus RS is coming to the US !

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mega-hot-ford-focus-rs-hatchback-confirmed-for-america/

I wonder what will become of the ST, and what it means (if anything) for the FiST. Also, what kind of price tag it will have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

skipdogg posted:

The ST's will be fine. I would predict the RS isn't going to sell a ton of units, the price tag will probably be lower mid 30's to start with upper 30's for the top trim. There's not a huge market for a super hot AWD hatch.

For sure. At that price I would have a hard time not picking up a WRX instead. Hopefully we wil get some hard numbers after the Detroit motor show.