Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The diesel hot hatch / "sporty car" makes more sense if you think of it from the point of view of somebody cross shopping diesel cars, as opposed to people cross shopping petrol hot hatches.

Also in the UK some companies have a diesel only rule for company cars. From a TCO / fleet management point of view it makes sense, on the other hand it's also a bit stupid, but that's another discussion altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Badmana posted:

(is there a down side?).

I'm a diesel fanboy but,
Power delivery - Good but not "sporty", there will inevitably be a quicker petrol model available
Noise - Agricultural
Reliability - A few possible big ticket items like injectors, around the 100k miles and onwards.
Cost - Unless you do a lot of miles the equivalent petrol may be cheaper overall (resale night be better though)
Fuel availability in the US maybe?

vvv That too.

stump fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 9, 2013

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Found this old photo of my Peugeot 306 GTi6. That was a fun car, and superior to the contemporary Golf Gti in every way. I miss it.

The Pug 306 / Citroen ZX was a great chassis. My ZX Volcane TD...

One of the early Diesel "hot" hatches... which were at the time a hot hatch chassis with a good enough, but hardly hot Diesel engines from less sporting models. A whole 90hp, and 0-60 in just over 10 seconds. Mine had 215,000 on the clock, and had cooking model suspension on the back from the other TD behind, whose engine died. All ZX's and 306's had fancy rear suspension with passive rear steering, but as they get older the rear wheels start cambering in and rub on the insides, hence the swap.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Yeah that was the problem with the Volcane, swapping in a whole rear axle unit wasn't too bad, done it by myself in a few evenings on the drive using four old scissor jacks to ease it into place. Bleeding the brakes was the biggest pain. I loving hate bleeding brakes.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

If you are looking at spending $300 would it be worth going the whole hog for the Mountune Kit? It's meant to but very good and covered by the factory warranty... it's £599 in the UK so I'm not sure how that will translate across the Atlantic (I couldn't find any costs with a quick phone google).

stump
Jan 19, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I often feel that 5th gear is pointless in both my current TDI and my old 1.8t. It's like all they did was push everything closer together and make 5th into 6th. If I'm passing I'm going from 6th to 3rd and when cruising I pretty much always just go 4-6.

I've always found the same with 6 speeds, but I have found on some winding roads 5th is just perfect, and if I'm in 6th I'll need to keep going back to 4th, but staying in 4th isn't practical.

One of the worst offenders I've found are 4x4s, the new 6 speed landrovers are still revving their tits off at motorway speeds. By that I mean 85mph, banging off the speed limiter. Admittedly they would still be noisy as hell with a Prius drivetrain.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Mistayke posted:

Renault WAS sold in the U.S. for a time way back in the 70's I believe. The "Le Car". It was a total piece of poo poo. The Yugo would have been an upgrade to it.

I guess lack of sales made them pull out of North America and they never came back.

The US got the Renault 9 and 11 too.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Alliance

stump
Jan 19, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

Basically T/C doesn't help you in any decent accumulation of snow. This is because it only lets your wheels spin very slowly but snow tires are designed to work with wheel spin. The worst was an unplowed hill that took me 45min to get up that should have taken two.
This has always confused me because my BMW ('04 e46 diesel, with winter tyres) always performed considerably better in the snow with traction control on. You could basically drive like a complete idiot (to an extent) and it would unfuck itself.

I guess perhaps BMW's is more lenient than some others? Or is it just when you are genuinely stuck that that allowing the wheels to spin helps?

The only other TC's I've experienced has been in FWD hire cars (vauxhall and fords) in the wet, and they did seem much more violent and intrusive.

Still, gently caress traction control systems without an off button.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The MK6 Fiesta was launched all the way back in 2002 too, although that is a facelift one. I always thought they aged very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tow with one, assuming the ST doesn't gave any funny exhaust placement over the normal one.

FWIW I towed a 12 foot boat with a 1.4 diesel ford fusion that was packed to the roof itself (the rest of world one based on the last gen fiesta platform) and it was fine. Hilly single track roads, cruising at 70 mph, overtaking lorries on A roads, no problem. Ok, the last one was kinda sketchy considering that car as a 15 second 0-60 empty.