Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I love it, but it hates me and breaks regularly: 1988 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9

under 2000 pounds and rebuilt from paltry Aus-spec to 130hp cool guy eurospec, with an Mi16 gearbox and active weight reduction (pieces tend to fall off it). Unreliability has me looking to replace it with a Fiesta ST but I guess I'll have to save that chat for the hot supermini discussion thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Phone posted:

And has a torsion beam rear suspension which completely ruins the handling. If only it had the multi-link rear that's in the Focus and NC Miata. :qq:

I've been reading every review on this thing I can, could you link something that mentions the torsion beam? It's the first I've ever heard of it being an issue

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 27, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Fiesta ST finally got a release schedule in Australia (September). After being hyped up by the latest Top Gear episode, it can't come soon enough

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

stump posted:

The diesel hot hatch / "sporty car" makes more sense if you think of it from the point of view of somebody cross shopping diesel cars, as opposed to people cross shopping petrol hot hatches.

This is it. Dumbing things down to 0-60 performance, the Golf 6 GTD (8.1) sits exactly between the GTI (6.9) and 103TDI (9.3). For the Golf 7, these times seem to have shifted down by ~0.5 seconds across the board. I'm glad it exists but it's compromised compared to the GTI. I'd say I see about 5-10 GTI for each GTD in Tasmania.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 8, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

But Clarkson thinks it's the best car he's driven in years. :qq:

edit

I'm definitely getting a Focus, or Fiesta, ST at some point after I graduate next year. I need a car that is less than twenty feet long.

Consensus across every single review I can find is that the Fiesta ST is the best in the sector right now. In the EVO group test of the 208 GTI, Clio RS, Fiesta ST, Nismo Juke and (the far more expensive) JCW Mini, the Fiesta took the crown. Despite being slowest in a straight line, it lapped their test course fastest of all; while being described as the most fun/playful chassis of the group. I don't think the handling is an issue.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 31, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I think I'm the only Australian here looking to buy the Fiesta ST and thus the only one that cares; but Ford Australia are currently investigating the potential of bring the Mountune packages to the Focus and Fiesta ST :black101:

And now that Opel have pulled the plug, the dealers are pretty desperate to shake off their stock. The local dealer contacted me the first working day after the announcement to say that they'd dropped 20% off the driveaway on the Astra and Corsa OPC. Can't wait to see how desperate they get :munch:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Looks like Mountune are opening up shop in the US, and dealerships will be offering their Focus and Fiesta ST packages under warranty:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/06/fords-official-euro-aftermarket-partner-mountune-coming-to-us/

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
That was my thought after a few brisk test drives of DSG cars. They didn't give me the level of involvement I wanted when I was thrashing on the car; and it seemed confused by my inputs and sluggish to respond in slow moving traffic. I guess those extra cogs might cover torque or power deficiencies in non-hot hatchbacks though

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 13, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you're used to a manual trans and you're driving it in anger, put it in manual. It's maybe less "engaging" vs stirring it yourself but holy poo poo is it fast.

This is what I did outside of city traffic. It was much faster point-to-point than it would have been if I was shifting myself, that's for sure. But at this end of the market (I was driving a Polo GTI and Skoda Fabia RS) I'd take outright experience over outright speed.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I drove the Fiesta ST yesterday and I'm sold on it. It's a giant departure from my 205 GTI, but it's easily the best of the current compact hot hatches I've driven. It feels just as good as the reviews lead me to believe.

It made me realise it's the compromises that had to be made that gives the old car character. To make the power it does, the 205 always feels uncomfortable at low revs. It's handling comes at the expense of a ride that is stiff enough to have shaken the interior to pieces over the last 25 years. It's ultimately more engaging, but less liveable. If I was able to cross shop a brand new 205 GTI and a Fiesta ST I'd take the Peugeot in an instant; but as it is I'll be happy swapping the constant unreliability and parts difficulties I've had with the GTI for enjoying a Fiesta ST every day of the year.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

echobucket posted:

I think so. I know you can hear the engine pretty good inside the cabin. I have to admin I like it. And it's not like BMW that plays fake sound in the cabin or anything.

Someone put a file on sound cloud with the new fiesta sound.

https://soundcloud.com/roadandtrack/2014-ford-fiesta-st-engine

I thought it was a nice touch, it definitely sounds great. My only problem is with the name; it's impossible to say 'sound symposer' without sounding (and feeling) like a wanker. I put my deposit down yesterday, but it's looking like I'll have to wait till December to take delivery :australia:

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 4, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

If you need a special pipe to make everything sound 'nicer', I just don't know what to tell ya.

Sappo569 posted:

slap on an aftermarket intake and

:downs:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Even after reading the analysis in this piece, I can't make sense of this at all. Is there something I'm missing as a non-american?

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Peugeot goes and moves the goal posts. This might explain why the 208 gti lacks the feel of the better cars in the class.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57659/hot-peugeot-208-r-confirmed-report

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 12, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Jefinabox posted:

Picked up this yesterday (the car, not the dog)

Fun, so far. Once you get to 5000rpm it just opens up. And it corners like nothing I've driven.

I've got a 205 GTi 1.9, and a Fiesta ST on order; but this is the car I can't help feel I should have instead of both.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
The number of big manufacturers perusing the technology shows that it has merit. It doesn't sound like it'll completely replace the manufacturers proprietary OS's, just add iOS/app integration on top of the cars own climate/radio/etc functions

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 20, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Voltage posted:

Holy crap I ordered my Fiesta ST well over a month ago and I still have no info! I'm dying over here, I want my turbo hatch !

I'm in Australia, but I know that feeling :( I put my order down on the 2nd of September, for a December 16th delivery. Right now, my car is still on the dock in Germany and they can't even tell me when it'll be on a ship. I've since sold all my fun cars to boot. It's souring that new car excitement pretty quickly

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 18, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/revised-volkswagen-polo-gti-get-manual-gearbox-option

In important USDM news; VW just fixed the biggest issue with a car not available within the USDM. A manual is available in the Polo GTI refresh

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

We all love to talk like we'd buy one, but when it's put up or shut up time, they don't sell. You can't tell me you would drop 45K on one of those. High dollar niche cars like that just don't sell well enough for them to bother with bringing them here. I vaguely remember the 2004 R32 not selling very well when it was released. I could be wrong on that though.

It'll be a bit more compelling if the rumor mill has it right and the drivetrain finds it's way into the Polo as well. Audi interior quality is great and all but it's redundant in a potential WRX competitor.

Edit: and the Audi is almost 50% more expensive than a Fiesta ST in the UK

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
It took 5 months to get here, but my Fiesta finally arrived, with the correct number of doors no less

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 25, 2014

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not just fitting people back there. If you want to use your rear seat to carry pretty much anything, and you're not dropping the seats and loading through the hatch, rear doors make it worlds easier, and some stuff just won't fit at all between a folded front seat and the single door.

There certainly are trade-offs in taking 2 doors over 4; but ultimately I'd rather the functional concession of the 2dr over the aesthetic one of the 4. I've got a forester for when I need to move more than one passenger and some groceries.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Trambopaline posted:

I am quietly dreaming of getting an Renault Megane 265 in a few years with a bit of saving. I know it's not available in the states, but what does AI think of them? I'm curious what the goon opinion of them are.

Australia has a fairly good selection of hot hatches available, and most reviews rate the Megane the best dynamically. Every review also mentions, if not outright complains, about the ride firmness but every Renault worth driving has the same issue. They look just as amazing in real life as they do in picture.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Put 800 more kilometers on the clock, via a few of the road sections they use for Targa Tasmania.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

There are A3 sedans? I have only seen hatch versions

It recently became available in Australia, too: http://www.caradvice.com.au/267588/audi-a3-sedan-pricing-and-specifications/

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

How did you go about doing your wing mirrors? did you mask the area and do them in place, or pop them off?

The yellow wheel look is great on your car

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

howling_mad posted:

I don't understand why people purchase 3 door hatchbacks. Hatches are practical, the least practical thing to do is get one with 3 doors. It seems counter intuitive.

This argument comes up on every frigging page of this thread. For every friend-having dog owning grocery buyer who wants a five door; there's a friendless moron who must attack all three corners in his morning commute, who knows that only the lightest, rigid-est girls car will do.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2014

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Pulling Teeth posted:

Are there any other French hot hatch enthusiasts here? That is, people who like to go fast around corners on the way to their mechanic? This one is mine:

Renaultsport Megane 225 Cup

I read somewhere that Renault doesn't sell in the US, is that the case?

I had a 205 GTI 1.9 before my Fiesta ST, it was a great drive but a total basket case unfortunately

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

GutBomb posted:

You wouldn't imagine how many people have given me poo poo for having a fiesta since I got it, thinking it's a base model. Nobody knows what these cars are. Even when I say it's the ST they respond "yeah, but it's still a Fiesta." The color and the plate on my car will likely get me pulled over someday, but the fact that it's a Fiesta ST won't, and the same is probably true about the RS.

I'm 36, and the only other guy's I know with an ST (either Focus or Fiesta) have been near 40 so your experience is similar to mine.

When I first got my FiST I figured I'd be waving to all my new ST bros like has happened with every other enthusiast car I've owned, but every other FxST I've seen down my way has been driven by a middle aged woman. Somehow that's more biting than anything my mates have said to me

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I've never understood dimming mirrors. I never flip my mirror to dark. Glare is annoying, but with it dimmed you lose all depth perception since you can't see anything but random lights behind you. I suppose if you simple want a binary traffic-behind/no-traffic-behind you thing...

I'm not sure if you're making the same assumption I did; but the auto dimming in modern cars is different to the manual dimming I'd experienced in older (pre-2000s) cars. It's like a progressive tint based on the amount of light the HID totting morons behind you are pouring into your car and is actually really handy in my superior AUDM FiST :smuggo:

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 28, 2015

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

spleen merchant posted:

My 16 yr old, high mileage Peugeot GTi has been a little too unreliable for something I'm now using for work, so I've been after something newer.

I test drove a Fiesta ST which was an awesome car, the only thing I could fault was it felt the accelerator was too far recessed to heel-toe properly.
I decided I wasn't quite done with high-revving French silliness so now I'm waiting on delivery of this little guy:

Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee
I've had my eye on these for a while and I'm having to go off reputation as the one I was going to test drive sold while I was on my way to check it out (this ones coming from the opposite side of the country). This is the previous generation, and probably last of the old school naturally aspirated hot hatches - the new ones have gone to a 4-door, turbo, dual-clutch-auto setup to take on VW's market.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on this. I was trying to cross shop the showroom run out stock of these with the Fiesta, but the local Renault dealership told me I'd have to fly to Melbourne if I actually wanted to drive one. Time wasn't on my side for that one, but I can't shake the feeling that the RenaultSport may have been a better time overall.

Coincidentally the thing that had me shopping for a new car was a unreliable Peugeot too :smith: :hf: :smith: My 205 GTi worked to it's own schedule, not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

I gave a thumbs up to someone in a FoST the other day. I try to whenever I see one. :colbert:

I'd do the same if every FiST/FoST i saw wasn't driven by a middleaged woman :(

Optimus Subprime posted:

Congrats! I read that all of the rs's are being built out of a ford plant in Germany since they are being shipped out globally there. I am interested in hearing if the qc of that plant is better than their usdm and other na facilities.

the AUDM FiST/FoST all come from Germany, and looking at some of the disastrous panel-fit issues on the USDM cars in this thread I'd say you're in for an upgrade.