Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What tires would you guys recommend for daily driver and autocross? Would I be better off getting a second set of rims and just keep a nice set in the house? Looking for 18/40-225. I live somewhere they doesn't get below 40 degrees and rains regularly if that helps. 201 Veloster R-Spec

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
My 2016 veloster r-spec was $19,800 with spare tire included if you need something a little bigger. I couldn't sit comfortably in the fist at 6'3".

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I saw Fist's around $20-21k when I looked for stick with basic seats. I didn't check my x-plan through work but that would have put at $20k even I bet. Yeah velosters are not as hardcore and 2013's had issues but a handful have 250-260whp with intercooler, intake, and tune on the forums too so ok. They are more like the FoST but without the power and rear suspension needs help to not suck from aftermarket.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

GutBomb posted:

My FiST was $20100 at 1.75% (credit union) and it came with a full size spare. Wasn't sure if the spare tire comment above was about the Fiesta not coming with one but they all come with a full size spare.

Nope, but hyundai dealer wanted $500

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It probably isn't an issue but make them do it before taking delivery possibly? Also, look up the focus st turning radius before committing.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you don't mind tuning, look at the veloster still. They're going under $20k and a basic tune is adding 40hp/40ftlbs. It isn't that hard with a tune, downpipe, intercooler placement to be in the 250hp at the wheel range. Stock tune is on 87. This would give you a more forceful feel like your mazda 3. The stock handling and tires are pretty garbage but pierce motorsports has some relatively easy upgrades to make it feel ok.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A surgy motor in a light platform? The Veloster comes with such poo poo tires that just changing them in one review went from .8g to .9g instantly.

Link to tune and what is required: http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/Hyundai+Veloster+Turbo+Stage+1.5+Tune

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you have only driven the turbo model the R-spec and Rally improved the shifting, steering ratios, and stiffened up the suspension. it really isn't fair to only drive the VT and say it is a elantra without trying the others first. Tuned up and what not it probably will not be 100% as fast as a mazda speed 3 but the surgery turbo will make it feel fast versus the smoothness of the ST. I had the same issues with the fiesta (too small) and focus (expensive and same turn ratio as my long bed chevy). It is worth a look at least.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Dude's talking up the idea of throwing thousands of dollars away "tuning" a loving Veloster, he's a literal retard.

It is like $2000-2500 for a tune and required parts on a car that is had under $20k. I'm just saying it is an option worth looking at if he was considering the fiesta st since the problems with the fiesta st interior size and comfort wise are resolved in the veloster. Having a 40ft turn radius sucks in cities?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'm say it is an option he should check out if he was looking at the fiesta st and the sizing was a problem. The veloster turbo unless it gets a irs and the 2.0L from the sonota isn't going to compete with a focus st or gti in power or handling without upgrades. But for an everyday vehicle compared to the fiesta st with pretty much the same price why not go look at it?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got that feeling in the fiesta st i sat in too but the worst was the new colorado. Like leg numbing long oblong toilet time where you stand up and fall over bad.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

On one of the forums I surf when bored, some guy was already asking about buying a 4000$ big brake kit for his 16 R. He couldn't come up with a reason for why he needed them when everyone asked. :shrug:

The stock brakes on my R will put you through the windshield on dry pavement.

They catch fire in race situations with stock material, rotors, and fluid?

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-brakes/25022-brakes-catching-fire.html

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah you either are doing something stupid or doing continuous laps before a big brake kit is needed typically.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
They look like good tires just noisy from what I could tell. Tire crazy had the kumho le's 280utg for $320 shipped for cyber monday so i got those.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Get some better tires and look at suspension upgrades. They will of course void the factory warranty on those parts but doesn't really matter since you'll have the originals and those parts typically don't fail easily. Ford racing does have factory tune options that lower your warranty to 36,000 miles for quite a big power increase.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Threads seem to suggest faulty evap purge valve.

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-discussions/437-weird-issue-after-every-fill-up-11.html

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-discussions/437-weird-issue-after-every-fill-up-5.html#post7319

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

It only affects the Fiesta and not the Focus?

Focus St had similar threads I saw too

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What about that golf r420 coming out?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
$189 a tire plus shipping, tax, mount, and balance added on is expensive. I got kumho le's for $320 shipped to my house and $40 for install. 225/40-18

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Is this really an issue after spending 40k on a car?

You obviously don't buy cars based on tire and insurance cost like me. #whitetrashthings

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The veloster forum is hung up on catch cans, usually put two on. When they show watch they catch though it is likst 90% fuel then a mixture of condensation and oil. I would like an opinion on this. It seems it doesn't help with carbon build but they just ramble about lspi too...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
VW and Audi had them on models to help with carbon build up but didn't so stopped on next models

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Does a catback even do anything for most modern cars any more other than giving you a bit more sound? Isn't most of the restriction at the downpipe/cat?

Also, why are aftermarket exhausts so drat expensive these days. Is stainless steel becoming a rare commodity?

On the veloster turbo in 2016 there is a post cat so if you tune at all it will cut power due to the restriction. But yeah you might gain a few hp for a ton of money.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

One thing to remember is that ECU flashes ARE detectable by Ford, and while they cant "void your warranty" legally, they sure as gently caress can point at the ECU reflash that is making 5 more psi of boost as the reason your turbo failed or whatever and deny your claim.

Can you not get a second ecu and flash the tune on it and swap it out if you have an issue?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

My understanding is that cars do not work that way anymore. You can't just swap ECUs without the manufacturer getting involved.

What? You can bench flash spare veloster computers if you have a working existing one to a spare.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

The mileage of the car is stored in the ECU, for one. It's also tied to your VIN. If you can figure out how to manipulate both of those things then you may have a chance.

On which cars? Most store it on the gauge cluster. If you bench flash you take your current vin and bench flash it into the new computer and manipulate the afr and boost there.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Probably has a clutch delay valve you could remove.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone added a lsd to their fwd hatch? How much did you hate life doing it? Worth it?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Did the tire rack starting line course this last saturday at NOLA raceway. Highly recommend it if you get the chance. Came home, instantly ordered front sway bar and camber plates. Holy crap is my veloster bad in that aspect. Learned a lot and found some respect for my brakes and how hard you need to hit them.

Also, got out some really bad hot pipe tubing that was made out of flexy radiator hoses with Xeonon element forum made aluminum replacement with heatsink. I can actually hear I have a turbo, solid power application instead of weird shakey power, and get cool wooshy sounds. Hopefully by mid summer I'll have my VT turbo solidly competing with focus st's and brz's in my area.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone suspension setup tips for fwd veloster? I have camber plates now. I also debating on settings of sway bar, seems MacPherson are OK with heavier sway. Maybe 1.5-1.75 negative front and 1 negative rear

Rear has 1/8" toe in from factory, 0 up front. Thinking about doing 1/16 toe out front, 0 in rear.

Got some kumho v720s on spare wheels to try this weekend at auto cross too. Should be major improvement over daily kumho Les.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
For autocross or daily driving? I'd imagine for autocross would be good ID imagine.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What does bottoming out have to do with alignment...but ok?

In a hurry after work I got my camber plates on and just maxed them out (negative 3 camber for autocross) and kumho v720 tires/wheels on. Holy poo poo is this thing a blast and darty now. You can do a u turn like a gokart. I'll hopefully have good weather and can mark a -1.0-1.5 daily and -3.0 match for autocross.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
GTI is nice but cost a lot more and has the VW quirks. The suspension, engine, transmission, etc are all much nicer on the GTI but again cost. Test drive a veloster r-spec if you can. They're going under $20k and you get some of the niceness inside of the gti and size but performance of a fiesta st but cheaper parts and ease of upkeep.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Wheeee posted:

lol yea um,

I wouldn't listen to this guy about cars.

Has any information leaked about the next WRX/STi coming after the Impreza gets its new platform in 2017?

If it makes you feel better have it measured at -1.5 camber today and -3/8" toe now that my tools came in. I'll be working on that tomorrow weather permitting. I was trying to settle the springs the other day until my camber and toe could be checked.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Here's my Veloster Turbo R-spec 2016 results at latest autocross. I have strut brace, lowering springs, camber plates, and tires.

http://www.delta-scca.org/2016/03/14/march_results/

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Thanks! I have a cold air intake to put on and learn to drive still. The veloster r spec in 2016 gained 15hp vs the regular VT so don't poo poo on it too much!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That Saturn sl2 is four door, ecu tuned, and lowered. Guy can drive.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Veloster is 33 mpg at 70-75 mph driving and rural city stuff. I think I got 20 at the last autocross

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Latest veloster turbo at Tork motorsports is getting crazy.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Bajaha posted:

THIS.

But those are some pretty sweet numbers from the little 1.6 in there. Burnout city I bet, even at stock levels it sucks at putting power down. Reliability can't be that good either at those levels.

2013's had weak rods but the 2014+ are ok about 250whp. This is apparently a rebuilt motor he posted later.