Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As Carl Sagan pointed out, we have a civilization that is increasingly dependent on science and technology, and a majority of people know jackshit about central STEM concepts.

Then you get capitalism involved and there is the effect of decades of propaganda defending certain approaches:

Here's a great movie about DDT from 1992, where you see many memes that have returned in the GMO debate. Sadly our current issues are more intractable and the causal relationships aren't quite as easy to communicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERLtyaugzw4

Until something goes horribly wrong with GMOs the political/industrial complex that controls agriculture will keep moving in whatever direction it is going now. Even if something goes wrong I'm sure lots and lots of media chaff will be deployed to undermine serious reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

There was no "no damage" option.

There was a 'low damage' option of using a small nuke (kilotonish) to seal the well - but that would involve a federal government that is proactive about deep sea drilling.

The current culture is to trust the march of progress led by the free market.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
GMOs also have a very different political dimension in India than in Western Nations.

There's the Bhopal disaster, for one. People in India haven't forgotten.

GMOs can be seen as another manifestation of Western Exploitation - the science should be public and if we have barriers of goods (but not information) - perhaps a 'homegrown' application would be developed and accepted.

Sir James Goldsmith was an early critic of Globalization, GATT, and the more money==better approach to agriculture (rather than nutritional yields, tradition, etc). In a 1994 interview he mentions the criticisms of Vandana Shiva.

While Goldsmith died in the late 90's; Dr. Shiva is still alive but has become a bit of a reactionary crank about the technology - however I don't blame her after decades of effort accomplishing little to affect the 'inevitable form' of globalization (brought to you by Monsanto, BP, Apple, etc)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

acephalousuniverse posted:

I don't have a kid, I just want lots of people to die.

:ughh:

The diminishing of the State in relation to Market Conglomerates isn't environmentally sound. For the benefit of preexisting Multinationals fossil fuels remain subsidized and central to most economic activity (since the only interest of these Market Conglomerates is profit/dividends).

Nation-State institutions are supposed to be conglomerates that act in the long term interest of their commonwealth. Expanding the 'free trade zone', abusing information technology, and ignoring fission power is negligent of that responsibility and confidence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solkanar512 posted:

Is the modern environmentalism movement no longer left wing either?

This is why I've given up on just using the tired left/right division.

I describe dissent with a mix of three 'flavors' - left, right, and gonzo.

Borderline anarchoprimitivism is gonzo - but has left and right elements as well.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't the US and EU negotiating a free trade treaty? European/Russian GMO bans are a populist cover for agriculture protectionism. It isn't like these countries are offering superior/alternate applications of the technology; Monsanto is a villain that lets them avoid making US farm subsidies a WTO issue.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hypha posted:

Prepare yourselves for small interfering RNA, as well as probably a bunch of other weird things.

Viruses are pieces of DNA/RNA that engage in natural selection, I don't see any possible danger in releasing customized RNA into the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

Hey, see the scientific ignorance thing in the title? Please don't engage in it.

Viruses are highly specialized pieces of DNA/RNA that have developed protein capsules and other robust defenses against wild RNAases and other digestive enzymes, originating from both prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms, to retain their genetic integrity. A piece of RNA deliberately designed to not possess these defenses, that hasn't been participating in an evolutionary arms race for billions of years or artificially given the fruits of that arms race, would be torn to shreds in microseconds outside of its intended environment.

It's true. My post was a kneejerk. Sorry about that.

But there is the possibility that a virus could infect a modified organism and wind up acquiring some of the tailored genes/proteins.

• Locked thread