Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 633 days!

Judakel posted:

This is the answer. If people want to hate, make sure they hate for the right reasons. You are bound to be far more effective through this method, since people aren't willing to give up the whole of their stance but may be more willing to change the reasons why they hold such a stance.

Actually an older woman I know, sharp as a tack and very perceptive on most things, is crazy into the natural foods, organic, anti-gmo crowd. It's sad in some respects because she just does not understand the science behind it.

When she started trying to make me anti-Monsanto she went on this whole thing about how the food they are making is poison and yada yada. I started talking about how I dislike them for the way they treat poorer, less savvy farmers, and tried to ignore the GMO aspect she was going on about.

However she seemed really disinterested in what Monsanto was doing business practice wise, basically dismissing my reasons for disliking the company and moving back onto her perceived threats to our food supply.

She's also a raw milk supporter, kale lover, and takes a million "natural supplements" many that are painfully obvious as bullshit.

It's a shame because otherwise she is intelligent, but she really thinks she has this figured out, and she voraciously reads those bullshit conspiracy food and natural living sites, so she really thinks she is super informed on the subject compared to others....:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 633 days!

Dr Creflo A Dollar posted:

Kale is great! I dont understand why you would use this as an indicator of conspiracy nuttery. Do people say it cures cancer or something? I just eat it with onions.

Lol no, kale is fine, I like it myself, just trying to paint a picture there.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 633 days!

Laphroaig posted:

Edit to preface: this post is about Monsanto in the developed world. I don't know about their practices in developing or undeveloped countries, and if you can provide sources about their unethical behavior it would help the OP in his arguments as well.

This was a very informative post, thank you.

I think I'll send this info to a few people as it is a fairly sufficient rebuttal of some of their more outlandish claims about the company's supposed evils.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 633 days!

acephalousuniverse posted:

I don't have a kid, I just want lots of people to die.

Why is anyone responding to this poo poo-heap? He is obviously a troll, or brain damaged.

Just ignore him so we can get back to what was a pretty interesting discussion about how GMO crops are good and useful and how paranoid idiots with little understanding of science and a boatload of misconceptions think GMO foods are bad for you no matter what.

I'm curious what the cross-over from the anti-vaccine crowd is into the anti-GMO crowd?

I always have a lingering suspicion that the anti-vaccine people got the anti-GMO ball rolling but I have no real proof.

• Locked thread