Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Divine Disclaimer posted:

No, my problem with Monsanto is that farmers should be able to re-sow their own seed, for practical reasons I consider more important than Monsanto's corporate profits.

Nobody's forcing farmers to buy Monsanto seed, and farmers almost always buy their seed at the beginning of the season anyway.

Quidam Viator posted:

Most of the people I know who are worried about GMOs are worried because in the long term, there have been some seriously hosed up "approved by science" products that have made it onto the market, from thalidomide to Agent Orange that we learned were harmful only in the aftermath.

This is a little nitpicky, but Agent Orange didn't cause birth defects. Problem was that one of the ingredients of AO was contaminated with dioxin, which was well known to be horribly toxic.

My point is that the compounds used to acheve the goal are often less frightening than the organizations making the decisions to produce and employ them.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pobama posted:

She's also a raw milk supporter, kale lover, and takes a million "natural supplements" many that are painfully obvious as bullshit.

Kale is great! I dont understand why you would use this as an indicator of conspiracy nuttery. Do people say it cures cancer or something? I just eat it with onions.

Nevvy Z posted:

I've been seeing a lot of poo poo about how you feed a mouse roundup and it gets tumors. Of loving course it does. But do roundup ready plants somehow magically generate roundup in your body? Is there not a process by which this stuff is rinsed off when harvested?

For that matter, what happens to roundup when trace amounts of it are cooked? Not that I assume any is left, but curiousity.

They do not magically generate roundup in your body, but I have seen/heard people claim it does. Most roundup is going to be washed away by rain or otherwise removed in processing, but this is true of any other contamminant herbicide or pesticide.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErichZahn posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that most environmentalists are actually motivated by hatred of urbanism than anything else.
e:wires crossed.

Evnironmentalists generally support urbanism, as the alternative is more destructive to nature.

• Locked thread