Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've been seeing a lot of poo poo about how you feed a mouse roundup and it gets tumors. Of loving course it does. But do roundup ready plants somehow magically generate roundup in your body? Is there not a process by which this stuff is rinsed off when harvested?

For that matter, what happens to roundup when trace amounts of it are cooked? Not that I assume any is left, but curiousity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

karthun posted:

Anti science stupidly is leading to a resurgence in mumps, and measles.

Which would be fine if it were them getting sick. But it's their children.

:smith:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

That's a meaningless distinction. I'm no fan of GM labelling, but if you're going to term something GM, then all descendants of the original organism that haven't deleted the inserted gene must surely also be GM? Even if their circumstances of origin are not the same, they are of the same kind.

It's all meaningless distinctions. That's exactly his point.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Yeah, and in fact the scientific community had roughly reached a consensus that it was harmful much earlier than the public realization when "Silent Spring" came out. I suspect the entire episode put a bad taste in people's mouths, combined with the aforementioned naturalist movement of the 1960s, and that's probably a large part of why we don't see the whole "science ho" attitude to sell things anymore.

This and three mile Island.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Poe's law applies a bit, but there is a bit of echo chamber effect in this forum and Poe's corollary , where even if he is fake the fact that he is believable means that that there are millions of people who probably espouse the same views regularly.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's not a lot of evidence disproving it because it's snakeoil garbage that relies on belief. It's like astrology.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

For genetically engineered crops in particular, and with genomic diversity, not just distinct sets of transgenes? I seriously doubt this, and you'll need to provide evidence. You must have misunderstood what I meant about genetic diversity. There aren't hundreds of distinct varieties for almost any agricultural crop.

Just for a point of comparison, grapes? Are the different varieties genetically distinct enough to qualify?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

oh, ok.

...I feel a bit silly spending 3 hours researching Crohn's now.

FWIW I always find it pretty interesting to read the random things you research for threads. :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mofabio posted:

Yes... you realize you're describing Roundup-ready GMO corn, right?

There's a distinction here that you clearly are incapable if grasping. Farmers don't want milkweed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Alternatively, gently caress butterflies

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

The response to scientific ignorance is probably best not to take a different scientifically ignorant stance.

Evolution has dictated that butterflies are useless in the world we are creating. Let them fall.

Or create milkweed sanctuaries for them if you want. I mean, none of that has anything to do with gmos.

Maybe some crazy eco terrorist can make roundup ready milkweed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mofabio posted:

do you understand why i'm not going to answer that

edit: here's the chart again

Yes. The highlighted area is the desired result for farmers. We know.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The most annoying thing about the GMO thing is you can't even explain to people why the Vermont labeling is dumb because they just start on the "BIG AG SURE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT" because the internet told them Monsanto murders farmers.

I just think it should be kept federal because it's loving common sense. You don't start letting every state pass whatever food labelling laws or you get a mess that people just stop reading because half of it is "the state of ohio recognizes this product as containing fruits picked by illegal immigrants"

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 19, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mrit posted:

I think this thread would work better as an overall discussion about the rise and growth of anti-scientific beliefs in the world(or just USA). But I am too lazy to make a thread so whatever.

You could also effort post about it since it's a lot more germane to the topic than "I know about farming."

Anti-science is a weird thing. I recently came across a NOT A CREATIONIST who was raging about NDT on facebook because NAC believes that there are 'serious flaws' in macro-evolution and the big bang theory. 'Serious flaws' being 'not observed by an eyewitness alive right now.'

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Oh god make it stop.

Edit- If you didn't embed beeping I just hit an awful banner ad.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

has been making the rounds on FB.

Besides taking something labeled "possibly carcinogenic" as carcinogenic, apparently people don't know what Bayer already does. They are #1 in pesticide sales.

"Once the company that got bought is in charge things will be even worse!"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was just as bad of a :fishmech: as this stupid argument about the context of local shipping. I'm just gonna post this here in hopes that it will keep him busy a while.

quote:

Carrots are a healthier food than ice cream.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

hah. I'm allergic to beta-carotene. Checkmate, friend. :smug:

You eating carrots is still healthy for me.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

There's no strawmanning except from you. The fact that "eat local" is a useless guideline isn't a strawman.

So you admit that carrots are healthier than ice cream.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slanderer posted:

Why are you even posting in this thread?

Because "just post". Why you?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slanderer posted:

You can't even troll fishmech without accidentally pantsing yourself in front of the class. I get that you are bitter that years ago the smartest kid in America owned you or something, but maybe if you're going to be a pathetic weirdo you shouldn't post in my thread.

Thanks!

I'm not bitter. I just get bored reading pages of pedantic nonsense. :fuckoff: Grats on having posted this thread three years ago, I genuinely don't care.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twodot posted:

And your solution to pages of pedantic nonsense is to be aggressively incorrect about whether "healthy" is an objective intrinsic quality of individual food items? This seems like bad strategy.

It seems like most people understand a basic usage of the word "healthy" in context. In fact, they've even done a study where the word is used and everyone seems to know what it means.

It really just serves as an example to people how insane you are willing to get to quibble about nonsense. You probably should get your own emoji.

Edit- tag fails study here: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...agree.html?_r=0

• Locked thread