Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mugrim posted:

The poo poo Monsanto does to the third world is bad enough you really don't have to give a poo poo why other people are upset by them. Don't debate them on GMO's, tell them about the actual evils they do because that will upset people much more and they'll focus on it. Hell, that's what happened to me.

This is the answer. If people want to hate, make sure they hate for the right reasons. You are bound to be far more effective through this method, since people aren't willing to give up the whole of their stance but may be more willing to change the reasons why they hold such a stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pobama posted:

Actually an older woman I know, sharp as a tack and very perceptive on most things, is crazy into the natural foods, organic, anti-gmo crowd. It's sad in some respects because she just does not understand the science behind it.

When she started trying to make me anti-Monsanto she went on this whole thing about how the food they are making is poison and yada yada. I started talking about how I dislike them for the way they treat poorer, less savvy farmers, and tried to ignore the GMO aspect she was going on about.

However she seemed really disinterested in what Monsanto was doing business practice wise, basically dismissing my reasons for disliking the company and moving back onto her perceived threats to our food supply.

She's also a raw milk supporter, kale lover, and takes a million "natural supplements" many that are painfully obvious as bullshit.

It's a shame because otherwise she is intelligent, but she really thinks she has this figured out, and she voraciously reads those bullshit conspiracy food and natural living sites, so she really thinks she is super informed on the subject compared to others....:ughh:

That is the danger with idiots who think they're smarter than they really are. This strategy will not work on them. However, anyone who values your opinion could be susceptible. We already know they won't bother to do proper research themselves.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 27, 2013

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Slanderer posted:

Not really, but thanks anyway.

Then again... You might just be incredibly bad at making salient points.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Slanderer posted:

I wasn't trying to convince someone who couldn't even be bothered to read the whole drat OP (which was miniscule, by D&D standards).

That's what you're dealing with when you deal with the people described in the OP. Low-information.

• Locked thread