Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone been following the mayor of San Diego lately? I've heard some sketchy things (surprise surprise) were going on with him and his staff, but I haven't really followed up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Screw you guys. San Diego owns, California burritos own, and tiny $1 carne asada tacos own. It's an amazing city with terrible politics. :colbert:

spiralbrain posted:

Its the Obama effect. Its the lesser of two evils. DeMaio seemed just plain off in the head.

I wasn't exactly excited with the mayor choices in the run off. I did look into it though and it looks like some of the mayor's staff isn't happy with the work environment. Filner's been doing some weird poo poo. I saw on Twitter that lifeguards weren't allowed to speak to media without direct approval from Filner himself. Also gently caress him for taking away that free 3 hour parking with validation at Horton Plaza.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Yes, odious personal problems aside, he managed to get the cars out of the Plaza de Panama pretty drat quick without having some kind of major developmental headache for Balboa Park. He also got people out of the Children's Pool in La Jolla to help protect the seals there. He's been a pretty decent progressive force in office, but also has had lots of run-ins with the city attorney and is generally an rear end in a top hat.

Are there plans for the Plaza or are they just going to leave it as an empty concrete meeting place?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Wait, there are other ways to talk about freeways without adding 'the' in front?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

CPColin posted:

Quick summary of the problems at Diablo:

Diablo: "Hey everybody we need to do seismic testing. It's going to piss off and possibly harm the marine animals in the area, but the alternative is we have less data about how the plant will react to an earthquake."
Public: "NO DON'T"
Diablo: "Ugh fine."
Public: "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE SEISMIC TESTING"
Diablo: "gently caress you idiots. Have another siren test."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFWup1w9SY

What's seismic testing?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

withak posted:

IIRC it is a sonic survey of the sea floor, done from some kind of apparatus towed behind a ship. It measures sea floor topography and subsurface stratigraphy, both of which can tell you stuff about whether there are any unknown faults present and how old they are. The problem is that the vibrations involved can be harmful to sea life.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How long does it take to drive up the Pacific Coast highway from LA to SF? I want to drive up it some time.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

withak posted:

Eight or nine hours may be possible if you have the road to yourself and drive as fast as possible for the conditions. Given the long stretches where you can't pass slow-moving sightseers, at least 10 hours nonstop is more realistic. If you are a slow-moving sightseer then it will be a lot longer.

drat so it's basically going to be a 12-13 hour drive for me because I'm in San Diego.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I still don't get the hype behind Habit. They just built one at my school and I've tried it a couple times, but it doesn't seem as good as In N Out or Five Guys.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

As much as I too confuse these 2 threads, can we keep this one for helping people plan trips and talk about burritos and bicker about policy and poo poo in the other thread?
We could talk about it in the other thread, but it'd go back to Bay Area talk after four posts.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

east side for life.

i guess that SD cliffy beach area is cool though, near UCSD?

It's a neat little spot. Windansea is my go-to spot even though there's fewer parking options than North Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Veskit posted:

What's the the most fun area of SD if you want to make staying near a beach for lounging a priority, or is it cool to just pick some water and stay near it

Mission Beach? You can rent a house along the beach and lounge all you want. It's touristy as hell but not that bad. Windansea is my personal go-to.

• Locked thread