Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

To avoid derailing the GOP Rebuilding thread and others with Cali chat, I decided to give California its own thread, so goons can circle-jerk about how awesome this state is talk about it without derailing all the other threads. And now, without further ado,

YOUR STATEWIDE ELECTED OFFICIALS! The ones you care about anyway

Jerry Brown

Current Governor, elected in 2010. Democrat. Previously served as Governor from 1975 to 1983, when he tried to run for Senate but lost to Pete Wilson. He's great on social issues but "meh" on economics, though no one really cares because of perception that he's pretty much singlehandedly resolved California's debt problem. Old.

Gavin Newsom

Current Lieutenant Governor. Democrat. Previously Mayor of San Francisco, where he got some attention in the press for making a really stupid gaffe by declaring that gay marriage would come to Cali "whether you like it or not", which the bigots promptly seized upon to imply that if Prop 8 lost everyone would be forced to get gay married. Other than that literally no one cares about him. Manages to always look young by standing next to Gov. Brown.

Kamala Harris

Current Attorney General. Democrat (notice a pattern?). Was once described as attractive by President Obama, causing the media to see a controversy where there wasn't one. Some people have suggested she's a future candidate for SCOTUS. Others have suggested she could run for Pres. in early 2016. The latter people are really stupid. Actually older than Newsom, which may surprise you.

Barbara Boxer

Current junior Senator. Democrat. Elected in 1992 to replace retiring Dem. Alan Cranston (yes, Virginia, Cali elected Dems in the 80s). Was the subject of a minor controversy when she asked a general to refer to her as "Senator" during a testimony, which challenger Carly Fiorina seized upon to use as a sexist dogwhistle in 2010, only to fail hilariously and lose by 10 points. Old, but looks young when compared to...

Dianne Feinstein

Current Senior Senator, you can probably guess her party. She was the first one to announce the assassination of Mayor Harvey Milk during her tenure as the President of San Francisco's Board of Supervisors. Elected in a 1992 special election adjoining to that of Boxer's, resulting in the odd historical note that in one election, California went from a split all-male Senate delegation to a united Democratic all-female delegation. Won re-election in 2012, defeating little-known autism activist Elizabeth Emken by some 28 points. The oldest US Senator, but not President pro tempore due to stupid rules.

:siren:Major Events:siren:

Democratic Supermajority!: The CA-GOP has been a walking corpse ever since Governor Pete Wilson tried to shove through Prop 187. As zombies are wont to do, the GOP responded by lashing out and attacking everything, which most notably manifested itself in blocking goddamn near everything relating to a budget, since you need a 2/3s majority in the legislature to pass one. Luckily, we elected a Democratic supermajority to both houses in 2012, so now stuff can get done. Hopefully.

Ding Dong, Prop 8 is Dead!: California voters were really stupid in 2008 and narrowly passed a measure banning gay marriage known as Prop 8. This was immediately appealed, and the new state government under Jerry Brown refused to defend it in federal courts. Some private groups tried to take up its defense instead, and appealed all the way to the SCOTUS, who told them to gently caress off and that no, private groups cannot act on behalf of a state. This means that the most recent ruling before SCOTUS (striking it down) goes into effect. Gov. Brown has declared that marriage licenses will be issued on July 21. Decent people everywhere party, bigots hurl themselves off cliffs.

MAH WATER!: The Fresno Valley had its water ration cut a couple years ago, and it's either been cut or stayed flat since then. This has resulted in a lot of bitching from farmers, who can't understand why most people don't want SoCal to desertify. (Aside from Orange County, that place can die in hellfire.)

Prop 30!: Literally running under the name of "Jerry Brown's Tax Increase", this was a ballot proposition to raise the sales and income taxes, the revenue of which would be used to fund education and public safety programs. It passed by 9.8%, leaving everyone bewildered that the state of Proposition 13 would now vote to raise taxes.

And on a last note...
That aforementioned water stuff has led to the I-5 being dotted with STOP THE POLITICIANS CREATED WATER CRISIS etc. signs. If you ever drive that way, you may wonder how this state is so liberal. To which I say, thank Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento.

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I like the lonely prison up in the far northeast. Poor guy just wants some buddies to crush human rights with :(

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

EnsGDT posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's Pelican Bay, where they do not, as they say, gently caress around. Also did you mean Northwest?

Yes, apparently I failed high school geography and didn't know it.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sup fellow OC resident that use to be represented by a horrible poo poo lord (Ed Royce in my case) but is now in Sanchez's district. :hfive:

Since the fair is going on right now it's always fun to re-register at the democratic party booth there just to be smug as poo poo while the people in the republican booth (usually next to it) glare.

Redistricting didn't do poo poo for me. I just went from one right-wing shitlord to another. :smith:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

nm posted:

My apartment's AC blower motor died on Labor Day, and it didn't get fixed until 6PM on Wednesday. Worst 3 days ever.

:(:hf::( brah, know exactly what you mean. I had to deal with that poo poo in an Ohio summer once and it was awful.

Sudo Echo posted:

Hope none of you guys are near this, but Mt. Diablo is currently living up to the name :stare:

This just in, a bill has been submitted in the State Assembly to change Mt. Diablo's name to Mount Doom.

• Locked thread