Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Is there much variation between ceramic honing rods? Like, I can get a Kyocera one for $10 or a Messermeister for $50. Which would be better?

(And I'm just assuming I want ceramic for my Tojiro Gyuuto (carbon steel)?)

Cool, thanks again Radish!

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Uber Kosh posted:

Is there much variation between ceramic honing rods? Like, I can get a Kyocera one for :tenbux: or a Messermeister for $50. Which would be better?

(And I'm just assuming I want ceramic for my Tojiro Gyuuto (carbon steel)?)

Yeah, you want a ceramic for any Tojiro, but they are all pretty much the same so get whatever one you want.

dwayne_dibbley
Nov 26, 2005
I currently have a Victorinox chef's with a eye to maybe getting a Tojiro DP Gyoto later.

Would a 1000/3000 combination stone be OK for maintenance? Or a ceramic rod? Or both even?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

dwayne_dibbley posted:

I currently have a Victorinox chef's with a eye to maybe getting a Tojiro DP Gyoto later.

Would a 1000/3000 combination stone be OK for maintenance? Or a ceramic rod? Or both even?

Either the stone or both the stone and the rod would be fine. You can use the rod or the stone for touch-ups and the stone for the occasional full sharpening. I would recommend a low grit stone, like 200-500 grit, for faster sharpening, but a 1k one will work, just not very quickly.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Ceramic rods are still for sharpening, get a polished steel rod. No abrasive whatsoever.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Steel rods will dull japanese knives. Gotta have a ceramic rod.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Steel rods will dull japanese knives. Gotta have a ceramic rod.

That makes no sense, it's not a ridged steel rod, it's a polished surface.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

And the steel will be softer than the knife, doing nothing more than dulling it further.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure it matters, as long as the edge is getting realigned. You can even hone a knife on a razor strop like barbers use.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Should something like the DuoSharp also not be used on Japanese knives? (I haven't, don't worry.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

guppy posted:

Should something like the DuoSharp also not be used on Japanese knives? (I haven't, don't worry.)

There is no reason why you can't, it's just that even the finest DuoSharp is fairly low grit as far as knife sharpening goes. Most people prefer to put a somewhat finer edge on their knives so that the edge lasts longer. It's also easier to make mistakes or screw up a knife with DMT stuff because diamond eats metal so quickly.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

And the steel will be softer than the knife, doing nothing more than dulling it further.

:clint: Yall people needs some edumacatin' on them there pointy tools.

If you don't want to read the whole megapost, just use this link regarding the correct sharpening process.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
It

Keldoclock posted:

If you don't want to read the whole megapost, just use this link regarding the correct sharpening process.

we don't use the S word in these hear parts, it's a question of honing that that Hanzo steel.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Keldoclock posted:

If I take my Tojiro ITK, and run it against a standard smooth steel, it will dull. It will not hone the edge.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like you're using an overly aggressive angle when you use a steel then.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Nope, use the same angle I sharpen at. Between the two, I much prefer a ceramic rod, and so do most of the people over at ck2g. Most of the knife manufacturers also recommend ceramic.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If I want to break down chickens, but don't do any other serious work, do I need a boning knife or will a chef's/petty knife be fine? Seems like a petty knife would be perfect as long as I don't accidentally hit a bone at warp speed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

guppy posted:

If I want to break down chickens, but don't do any other serious work, do I need a boning knife or will a chef's/petty knife be fine? Seems like a petty knife would be perfect as long as I don't accidentally hit a bone at warp speed.

A petty can work great as a boning knife for chickens, a chef's knife or gyuto can work well too but it can be a little more awkward because of the length. Really, the specialized knives are mostly useful for professionals who are going to be deboning like 40 chickens at a time and want to gain a little efficiency over a more general purpose knife like a petty.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I might get to do some hog butchery tomorrow. THe sad thing is, it might be our favorite hog, Russell, who loves ear scratches and is the biggest sweetheart.

Having only ever had dogs and cats for pets, I have to ask if it's a difficult thing to slaughter a creature with whom you've developed a relationship. Is it?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Glockamole posted:

Having only ever had dogs and cats for pets, I have to ask if it's a difficult thing to slaughter a creature with whom you've developed a relationship. Is it?

Well, I did not end up being there, as I was feeling sick (bad cold last week) and it's not good to work with carcasses when immunocompromised. However, it had been planned to keep Russell, and he was treated a bit like a pet. He was super sweet and loved people.

I did not actually know Russell that well, so the decision to process him was not that hard on me. My boss though was a little heartbroken. She raised him from a piglett, and was super fond of his sire, who had been one of her first pigs. But we're cutting down on the pig operations at the farm, and it's really difficult to find a new home for a 700lb intact boar. Someone else would buy him for pennies on the pound, and probably do a worse job of it then we would. Processing him ourselves meant there was no stress for him. He was dead before he knew it, and my boss had lots of family and friends there to help her through the process.

Also, there are different ways to relate to and love an animal. A farmer still loves his food animals, but it's a different kind of love. You love them for the meat and prosperity they will bring your family, and the memories you'll have every time you take a bit out for dinner, or whenever you work with the meat. It's a bit morbid, but it's probably the better, more responsible way to view meat. The sanitized grocery store polystyrene and plastic meat of today has really disconnected humans from what food really is. Meat is life. Meat is love. Meat is WORK.

So yes. It's difficult to do. It's going to be hard to do every time you kill an animal you know. But if it ever stops being hard, you should maybe re-evaluate your reasons for working with animals.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, I did not end up being there, as I was feeling sick (bad cold last week) and it's not good to work with carcasses when immunocompromised. However, it had been planned to keep Russell, and he was treated a bit like a pet. He was super sweet and loved people.

I did not actually know Russell that well, so the decision to process him was not that hard on me. My boss though was a little heartbroken. She raised him from a piglett, and was super fond of his sire, who had been one of her first pigs. But we're cutting down on the pig operations at the farm, and it's really difficult to find a new home for a 700lb intact boar. Someone else would buy him for pennies on the pound, and probably do a worse job of it then we would. Processing him ourselves meant there was no stress for him. He was dead before he knew it, and my boss had lots of family and friends there to help her through the process.

Also, there are different ways to relate to and love an animal. A farmer still loves his food animals, but it's a different kind of love. You love them for the meat and prosperity they will bring your family, and the memories you'll have every time you take a bit out for dinner, or whenever you work with the meat. It's a bit morbid, but it's probably the better, more responsible way to view meat. The sanitized grocery store polystyrene and plastic meat of today has really disconnected humans from what food really is. Meat is life. Meat is love. Meat is WORK.

So yes. It's difficult to do. It's going to be hard to do every time you kill an animal you know. But if it ever stops being hard, you should maybe re-evaluate your reasons for working with animals.

This was so informative it was moving. Thank you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Glockamole posted:

This was so informative it was moving. Thank you.

Aw, you're welcome. I'm always glad to answer farm questions. I should probably start my own food animal thread, and stop making GBS threads up the knife thread though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Honestly the knife thread is less likely to go full hugbox D&D bullshit than opening a whole new thread.

What kind of knives do you use to process a whole hog? Preservation techniques?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it's not like it's a busy thread or anything. I too would be interested to know what knives you use for something like that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

I've done a few with a gokujo and honkatsu. Gokujo for trimming along bone, honkatsu for wedging between joints. A hook is a must, and will make your life so much easier.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Re: Victorinox, I was wondering if a ceramic rod would be a good idea for those knives. Would it be decent enough to keep it sharp?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Transmetropolitan posted:

Re: Victorinox, I was wondering if a ceramic rod would be a good idea for those knives. Would it be decent enough to keep it sharp?

That's the combo I have and it seems fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

A ceramic will work fine on the Victorinox knives, it will remove more metal but the amount is pretty small in the first place so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bloody ghost titty posted:

Honestly the knife thread is less likely to go full hugbox D&D bullshit than opening a whole new thread.

Joke's on them, the hugbox is used in industrial slaughter. It's how they get them to hold dtill before getting them with the captive bolt stunner.

A cowboy style buck knife and then a smaller paring knife are the tools of choice. You want to have a rounded slicing edge on the end to bring the pressure down and wiggle when breaking the carcass down. Paring knife is used as a finer boning knife. A meat hook is nice to have to wrangle the meat and keep your fingers safe.

Preservation is keeping the meat clean and cold. We're not doing any sausage right now.

The weapon of choice when processing chicken is a good pair of kitchen shears.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 7, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Good god, another price bump to the small CCK.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got mine when it was $60, but at $70 -- for that matter, even at the previous price -- I have to wonder: Is the Dexter-Russell vision (currently $25ish at Amazon) a better recommendation to people considering picking up a Chinese chef's knife?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

guppy posted:

I got mine when it was $60, but at $70 -- for that matter, even at the previous price -- I have to wonder: Is the Dexter-Russell vision (currently $25ish at Amazon) a better recommendation to people considering picking up a Chinese chef's knife?

Not sure you can do this with the Dexter-Russel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOumJ0B1Cj8

And have the edge last.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Anyone want to play a knife mystery game?
I'm cat sitting for my parents right now and found an 8" chefs knife that was much unloved.
It's a "Barclay Forge" knife, and I've never heard of them. It's hollow ground, full tang, 3 rivet western style wood handle. The suprising thing is it's made in Japan and still cuts well despite being treated badly for over 30 years and never sharpened (probably hardly used).
The thickness of the top of the steel is much thinner than standard western chefs knives - which are more of a chopping axe IMO -, it's thin like japanese knives (or in other words, just a little thicker than stamped victorinox blades)
A quick google shows this knife is a mystery to many, a couple of people saying how good the steel is when they've come across one and sharpened it. A couple of other people say that they were the original owner and still using them and it's the best knife they've owned.
Seems grocery stores sold them cheap in the USA if you spent $x on shopping, makes sense my parents got theirs the same way in Australia as they've never spent much on knives (most are no name or wiltshire brand at best and they on have this one knife).
So did some brand called Barclay Forge introduce the first Japanese knives to western homes via some coupon deal some time in the late 1970s/early1980s and with that, just close up shop and disappear?
E: I've got no camera here, but here's an ebay listing of the same knife
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHEF-Knife-Kitchen-Knife-BARCLAY-FORGE-8-Blade-Stainless-Steel-Japan-/181542496652

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 15, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the Victorinox recommendation. Got a 10" fibrox chef's knife. It's the sharpest knife I have ever used. Probably should have gone with the 8" though. It's a bit longer than I'm used to. I thought the 10" would be closest to what I'm used to, it must have been a 9" or something.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Decent knife, but you'll need a hone for it if you haven't got one, it's pretty soft steel.
I've got the 10" victorinox, (also the 7" flexi and straight boning knives) Other chef's knives are German or Japanese forged 8" and 7"
I prefer smaller knives too, mainly because my small bench and small end grain block. But the 10" is handy for pumpkin, cabbage and celery even if it's not your preferred size.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tojiro ITK petty 150mm. I just can't stop buying knives!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That is one sexy knife.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I finally used the whetstone I purchased about 6 months ago (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00200L90I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my paring and chef's knife and don't really think I'm doing it right. I used a 1/4" binder clip to set the angle, went back and forth repeatedly where the draw stroke was harder than the other, but never really found it creating a burr. I tried doing it twice, probably 20-30 strokes on the coarse/fine sides and couldn't do any of the tests I'd seen in youtube videos - chopping into piece of paper, cutting tomato without it moving, etc. Is my knife just real dull and I need to go at it longer? The burr thing I read about is what I'm really not understanding or getting a result with.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I finally used the whetstone I purchased about 6 months ago (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00200L90I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my paring and chef's knife and don't really think I'm doing it right. I used a 1/4" binder clip to set the angle, went back and forth repeatedly where the draw stroke was harder than the other, but never really found it creating a burr. I tried doing it twice, probably 20-30 strokes on the coarse/fine sides and couldn't do any of the tests I'd seen in youtube videos - chopping into piece of paper, cutting tomato without it moving, etc. Is my knife just real dull and I need to go at it longer? The burr thing I read about is what I'm really not understanding or getting a result with.

You are using water on the stone right? You just have to keep rubbing away until a burr is formed, it can take quite a while to form sometimes and it will depend on the steel and the stone being used, some steels take a ton of work to form a burr and some are very quick, stones vary in the same way so if you have a slow steel and a slow stone for that steel it can take a long time to get a burr to form.

To check if there is a burr just stroke your fingers on the face of the blade towards the edge on the opposite side from the one you were rubbing, if there is a burr you will feel a distinctive scratchiness as your fingers pass over the edge. Once a burr is formed switch to the other side and rub until a burr forms again and then just go back and forth spending less and less time on each side until you are only doing 2-3 strokes per side, then draw the edge of the knife through something like a cork(natural or synthetic rubber does not matter) to remove any wire edge that might have formed, I like to give it some edge trailing strokes after that and then try testing it on a piece of newspaper or something, it should cut through smoothly if you did everything right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
My new knife arrived today. It's a tadafusa nashiji 210mm carbon steel gyuto. Nice and sharp out of the box, it flew through an onion. I'll probably give it a couples passes through a 3000 grit though. Steel looks a bit bluer than it is because of lighting.

hoshkwon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 3, 2015

• Locked thread