Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Hi thread, quick question:

Are there any differences between this and this, besides the handle's appearance?

I've bought a few styles of the former, and really like them, but I'm unsure if I've unfortunately duped myself out of the better knives, as both of these are available to me locally for roughly the same price.

Also, any super recommended Japanese knife makers? I'll be finishing up my work in Japan soon, and a nice gyuto would be a good memento.

Edit: Why are all metal handles a bad thing?

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No differences besides the handles on the ones in the first link, on a side note: gently caress all metal handles.

As for knife makers, there is always Teruyasu-Fujiwara if you want a really nice hand made knife and want to spend up to around $300. They are White #1 steel, so they are very reactive. There is also Konosuke in Sakai, a company employing a number of different blacksmiths who are renowned for the quality of their knives. I have a Konosuke Ginsan 240mm Gyuto and it is a superb knife so I recommend you give them a visit if you can, they have a pretty wide selection so you ought to be able to find something you like.

EDIT: Eff you auto correct. :argh:

Thanks for the response! Why are all metal handles a bad thing though?

I'll have to look into Konosuke, though they've stopped taking internet orders. Guess I'll have to find a distributor.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

So, thanks to the advice of this thread I just bought this:

24cm Tojiro Kurouchi gyuto.

Sure there's probably better knives for the price I paid, but I've been really pleased with the DP series I had already, so decided to stick with Tojiro. Plus I liked their kurouchi finish better than some of the others I've seen.

Now to work on my cutting technique.

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 13, 2015

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Y'all might remember me from a week ago, and I think I might have hosed my knife already (woo! :sad: ) I had a few rust spots form, as I must not have dried it properly before putting it away. So I tried the lemon juice method from a few pages back and ended up with this:

Is this fixable? Or have I completely ruined my brand-new knife?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Awesome, thank you!

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Is there much variation between ceramic honing rods? Like, I can get a Kyocera one for $10 or a Messermeister for $50. Which would be better?

(And I'm just assuming I want ceramic for my Tojiro Gyuuto (carbon steel)?)

Cool, thanks again Radish!

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 2, 2015

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Present posted:

^^ gorgeous knives, esp the nakiri.

Does anyone know where I can get kitchen knives in Japan? I'm looking to get quality stainless steel ones and I'll be in Japan in September so I figure I should try and buy straight from the source.

Tojiro DP, the entry-level knives recommended in the OP, are available on amazon.jp. That's where I bought mine. I can also vouch for Tojiro's excellent customer service buying through their (Japanese) website.

If your after some real poo poo, look up Sakai-shi / Sakai city knives. There's a street with a whole bunch of stores you can buy from directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I live in Japan and know nothing about knives. The wife and I have been using a CUTCO set that's 16 years old or so (from when I tried to sell the crap right after high school). From reading OP and some follow on posts, I see that people consider Japanese cooking knives to be high quality and they get exported all over the world. Can anyone give me recommendations on a brand or type of blades for general purpose cooking? Wife is vegetarian and cuts a lot of vegetables, while my son and I both enjoy meats and fish. I don't have any specific requirements or anything because I have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for.

All I know is that I'd like a general purpose set that can replace the beat up chef's knife and serrated ones I've been using to cut meat and I'd like to stay under 400 dollars or so for a set if it's possible.

I bought a few Tojiro DP knives (on this thread's recommendation) from amazon.jp while I lived there. They were each less than $100, with the most expensive being ~$60. I love them to bits.

• Locked thread