Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.
Because I hate money even though I can't afford to, I just got serious about water-stones and that led me here. Would these Tamagahane knives be a waste of money? Is vg-5 super different from vg-10? I know I'm paying 30USD more for an aesthetic effect and I'm okay with that. My buddy got a knife with the hammered effect after his knives were stolen (he chefs and had an amazing selection according to drunken chef buddies) and I really like the look.

It doesn't matter yet anyways and I'm sure I'll be scanning knife sites till Christmas. Partner and I decided that instead of Christmas presents this year, we will combine a set amount of green and buy sparkly new kitchenware! She wants a food processor and a juicer, I want cast iron cookware and knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

What?
Eggs are your favorite!

GrAviTy84 posted:

8" is soooo small for a chef's knife, IMO.

What advantages does a longer chef knife add? I currently use a 7" POS and haven't yearned for anything much larger. Tiny counters also limit my space and I don't want to be stabbing everything near the cutting board.

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

What?
Eggs are your favorite!

GrAviTy84 posted:

More real estate for slicing which is important for more fragile things so that you can cut in one swoop instead of changing directions. More real estate just for prep, you can prep more in one go with a larger blade than you can with a small one. A larger blade feels more stable to me, too. It's not going to be affected by the thing you're cutting very much. If you need something small and nimble, that's what the paring knife is for. Chef's knife is for everything else. Don't get a blade that is longer than your cutting board though. :ohdear:

Makes sense. I'll consider the 10" and maybe build a larger counter-top. I wasn't much of a home cooker when I first built it but now I'm cooking every day.

• Locked thread