Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I think it's finally time to invest in a decent set of knives. I still live with a couple of roommates and my budget is somewhat tight, but I want something nice and fairly sturdy. From this thread it seems like the Tojiro DP line is the way to go. I'm thinking the DP Nakiri in "Damascus" cause it looks cool, the DP Gyuto (either 210 or 240, haven't decided yet). I'm thinking the 240 since I have a decent 8" Cutco chefs knife that just need sharpening. I figure between those three, a lovely bread knife and a $9 Forschner paring knife I'll be in pretty good shape. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
The thing is, I've never had to debone anything and if the need comes up I think a cheap Victorinox will do. Mostly I chop, slice, and dice. Is there really anything a Nakiri does better than a Gyuto then?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Well I've used and loved Chinese cleavers before, but mostly the random Chinatown $12 specials. My only worry with the CCK is upkeep, not with myself but with my roommates. Can't tell you how many times I've come home to my cast iron pan filled with water, and I'm the only one who ever oils it too. Don't wanna risk that with any really decent blade.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
How does the Fujiwara FKM line stack up against the Tojiro DP? Price for a 240mm Gyuto is about the same for both.
Also, how is teak as a material for a cutting board? Randomly ended up at Homegoods the other day and found some Mario Bitali boards that caught my attention. Normally chef branded poo poo makes me roll my eyes, but they were big and pretty and cheap.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 10, 2013

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
So I want a good, stainless, Japanese chef knife. I know the Tojiro DP is GWS's perennial favorite, but Im afraid it's too flat. Are there any similar options in the same price range that have a rounder belly?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
That looks pretty drat sweet except its more than twice the cost of a DP.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
My parents are getting my gf and I some knives as a housewarming gift. Budget has a soft cap of $250. I've already picked an 8" gyuto and a 3.5" paring knife (it's the Shun classic set. I know it's not the GWS favorite for value but they're pretty, I really like the D handle, and it's a gift). I've also really been wanting a Nakiri for a long time, so I'm gonna grab either a Richmond Artifex 7" or a Tojiro DP 6.5".
So I'm left with roughly $40-50 to play around with. I'm kind of deciding between a 5-6" petty (MAC superior cause I love it's doofy looks, Fujiwara FKM, or Richmond Artifex) or just a decent pair of kitchen shears like the basic Tojiros.
Another option is using my parents' Direct Buy membership to get a Shun Classic 8" gyuto, 6" utility knife, 3.5" paring knife, and 6.5" nakiri for $270 shipped. Great deal but I don't really want all the knives to be the same, I'd like to try out at least a couple other brands to inform my future decisions. Plus ship time from them is like 10 weeks.
TLDR: Would you rather have a 5-6" petty/utility knife or a nice pair of shears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Can anyone recommend some decent knife skills videos on youtube? Most of the ones I've found are intended for total beginners (not that I'm an expert, but I don't need to be told not to hold my fingers under the blade), and generally focus on rock chopping with Western style blades.

• Locked thread