Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Custom moritaka yanagiba ordered. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why do you post this and not be on IRC to talk about it? :aaaaa:
Because I'm at work posting from my phone (also ordering knives apparently).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

How long? Ao super? Anything particular or did you just ask for a yanagi of X length?

I was thinking about it more last night and I have almost convinced myself into giving a (single bevel) yanagi such as the Tojiro Shirogami a try as a slicer.
I pretty much just asked for a yanagi x length.
Debated doing 300mm, but finally settled for 270mm. I'd like to try a single bevel too, but I'm gonna try this for now in his standard 50/50. Yeah, Ao super. Quoted me 16k yen, which seems massively reasonable. That puts it squarely in the same range as the Kikuichi we were looking at, one week turnaround not including shipping time. I still have a bit of time if I decide to change stuff though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

16k yen, that's like $160? Not a bad price at all.
Not bad at all. Also, it arrived yesterday, so way faster turnaround than I expected. Will edit in pictures later but it looks preeetty sweet.
Sort of wishing I had sprung for another 30mm already though.

Edit: holy poo poo, I just realized it took less than a week from ordering to have the blade made and shipped around the world.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 22, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sir Spaniard posted:

Thanks. I thought so but I couldn't see a link in his posts. Those are some really nice looking knives for a decent price. Any words on quality?
I've only had mine for a couple weeks as well, but so far it's a great knife. F&F out of the box was very good, and like grav said, it can take a wicked edge. I looked for a couple weeks at all manner of sujihikis & yanagibas, and this seemed by far the best fit for me without multiplying my budget two- or three-fold. For what it's worth, it's also cheaper to order directly from the shop in Japan than from a US importer even if you're just ordering regular stock and not something custom.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

That is the same OEM knife as a togiharu or a JCK gekko, et al. It is a good knife, I have a gekko myself and it is fantastic. Iirc breakfall's first was a togiharu and he loved it. The edge itself is vg 10 the Damascus is just cladding so you can expect vg10 performance (beginner friendly, easy to sharpen, holds a great edge). 7 inches is pretty small though, at least for me. Maybe consider sizing up.
I would definitely get more than 7". I also have a JCK gekko (well, the wa-handled 9.5" version) and it's pretty nice. I though they were cheaper than the one you linked through JCK though I could be wrong.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a 240mm ao super gyuto moritaka. It owns so friggin hard. Holds a stupid sharp edge for weeks. Super light to weild. Love it.

They are super hard. Also very carbon steel. Be sure to keep it dry and if you live somewhere humid, oiled.
I also have a 270mm ao super yanagiba and it, too, owns.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I have a hammered vg10 gyuto thing that's 240mm and it's perfect. I also have a 270mm tojiro dp gyuto and it's a bit large for me to comfortably use in some situations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

.Z. posted:

I've got a Moritaka cleaver already :p

I'm looking for a yanagi for it's main purpose, sashimi slicing, cause I'm spergy for pretty looking cuts of fish.
Well, moritaka also makes a fineass custom yanagiba if that's what you're in to. He also has some off-the-shelf models, but they weren't quite to my taste. I'd post a pic, but :effort:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

good jovi posted:

One day I'm going to encounter a rotten pit or something and I'm just going to slice my hand clean in half.
I've sliced an avocado pit clean in half by accident :shobon:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rockcity posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the JCK Gekko line? I think they fit what I was picturing in terms of looks and the pricing is pretty good. They're listed under the specials on JCK. http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html#Specials

I like mine well enough. I have the rosewood 240mm wa gyuto, tried to pull up the exact one but their website doesn't want to load on my phone. I don't use it that often anymore, but I have tons of knives, and I prefer others now for day to day work. I wish I could say more, but like I said I haven't used it in a while. I do remember wanting to change the angle of the blade as mine was slightly asymmetric when it arrived and not necessarily in a way I wanted, but I don't know how much that matters to you.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Salsa McManus posted:

How do you guys measure/know the angle to sharpen at or do you just kind of learn it with time and practice like most things? At the local Japanese market they had some miniature grinding and finishing stones for which I assume would be setup for Japanese angles? I can't read the Japanese so I cannot say for sure.

You can buy little guides for various angles, or for a lazy quick trick fold a piece of paper into a triangle for a 22.5 or 11.25 angle. But mostly time and practice.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just noticed that the Tanaka Kurouchi Blue#2 240mm and 210mm are on overstock sale at CKTG. The Tanaka knives are really well liked and I would recommend these to anyone looking to try out a fully carbon knife. I'd get one myself if I had the money to spare right now. :(
Hey, I need a 4th gyuto right? Sure I do :shepface:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gangerous posted:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help. Before I buy the Tojiros, I thought I might mention that I butcher a lot of my own meat, I probably butcher and de-bone 3-5 deer/year and possible a pig or two. How well do you think they would stand up to serious abuse? Would the harder Japanese steel be better or worse than the softer German steel for tasks like butchering. When the Zwilling's I linked above started to loose their edge I could quickly hone them while I was working, will the Japanese steel dull and require me to stop and sharpen them with the wet stones? I'm willing to spend $400-500, so if you know of something that might better suit my needs, link away!
They'll do fine, just don't go all nuts at a bone because harder steel will chip rather than bend. It depends on the actual knife and geometry thereof, as well as what you're cutting through though. Cutting through bone is a rather different task than cutting meat and tendon off a bone. For the latter, there's no reason you should have to stop and sharpen a knife midtask.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

don't get the edge sunk into a bone and then twist the knife but I don't assume that level of skill in every random person on the internet.
don't do stupid poo poo with your stuff and it won't break

this isn't knife specific

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And for the record, Amazon does not sell CCK slicers.

Uh, no, no I definitely did not. Stay away from me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

fickle poofterist posted:

I don't normally but this one is machine washable :shrug:

Also I am pretty sure the only reason knife manufacturers reccomend against dishwahers is because the blade edge may be struck by other objects and cause damage more then anything else.

Edit: I wash my $5 Victorinox fruit and veg knife in the dishwasher too, I'm bad at looking after my knives I guess

There are also abrasives in most/all(?) dishwasher detergents that help gently caress up the blade.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Haha, I remember thinking something like that would come to light eventually when I saw that kickstarter.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

They also used Cutco as a point of comparisons and misspelled Henckels.
Also food safety being dependent on what knife you use.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 16, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I direct ordered a custom 300mm moritaka yanagiba for less than you would pay at any retailer and it's great

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So they're made in China despite all of the vague statements about Japanese history and craftsmanship, and otherwise heavily implying that they're made in Japan. Still trying to dig up more. I also notice many of their anonymous five star reviews seem to have consistently abnormal punctuation , as well as similar phrasing and statements from one review to another . As a professional chef You won't be disappointed!!!

Also, yeah they have numerous listings around the web where they're being sold at a huge "discount" relative to their supposed MSRP. Oh and I found a bunch people trying to offload used sets too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

For clarity, the thing on the handle is marketed as a garlic...smasher?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

probably wanna use a boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I've bought a pile of knives from both sites over the years and haven't had any issues with any of them :shrug:

• Locked thread