Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at either an 8 or 10 inch Fibrox. Am I right in assuming that the length is the blade, not the overall length? The knife I'm used to is a 9.5" blade, so I'm leaning towards 10. Is it okay to order off of Amazon, or are they going to gently caress up my blade by not protecting it properly for shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I guess if shipping was going to gently caress up that box, the ones at brick and mortar stores would suck too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the Victorinox recommendation. Got a 10" fibrox chef's knife. It's the sharpest knife I have ever used. Probably should have gone with the 8" though. It's a bit longer than I'm used to. I thought the 10" would be closest to what I'm used to, it must have been a 9" or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Am I hurting my knife by cutting frozen meat with it? I really should have sliced this huge pork shoulder before freezing it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Midniter posted:

"Hurting" it? As long as you're not whacking it repeatedly and violently which could chip or break the blade, all you're doing by using a knife on frozen meat is dulling it more rapidly. It can still be sharpened back to goodness.

Okay, that's what I was hoping. I still need to get a sharpening and honing set-up, but I've only had the knife for a month. It's done some meat, but it's mostly been chopping vegetables.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mindphlux posted:

if you've been chopping frozen meat with a knife for a month, you almost certainly should re-sharpen it. but no, you ain't permanently hurting it or nothing. just re-profile the motherfucker, and use a ceramic rod before every use if you can trouble yourself.

Eh, I only cut a couple slices off the shoulder, and boned a couple chicken thighs. Aside from that, it's been used for veggies.

What are the recommendations for a honing rod? I've got a Victorinox Fibrox, is it worth getting a ceramic rod or should I stick with a steel one? I'll probably look around town too, but I want to know what kind of price to be aiming for. And obviously I'm not going to get one of the rough rods.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's good to see that Amazon is reaching out to the (BME Pain) olympic athlete.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does the length of the honing rod matter? I've got a 10" chef's knife, would I need one at least that long?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I honed my knife for the first time tonight. It got sharper, but it also got some diagonal scratches on it. What did I do?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They're on the side of the knife, they seem like they're roughly at the angle I was pulling it across.

I was honing it on the smooth side of a Kyocera ceramic rod.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a way to tell if I'm honing my knife wrong, and how? I haven't been able to get my Victorinox back to how it was from the factory. It doesn't help that my wife and roommate forget and put my knife in the dishwasher or in the drawer without the blade guard.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've had it for maybe six months now. It's been washed maybe 3-4 times in the dishwasher. I almost always remember to clean it after I use it and store it myself. I use it a couple times a week at least, sometimes 4-5 times a week. Mostly cutting veggies, sometimes cutting chicken or pork. Also tofu sometimes, but I don't feel like that counts since you could cut that easily with a butter knife. The thing is I've only tried honing it a few times, and I wonder if I'm just not doing it enough to make up for the length of time I didn't hone it.

The rod has a rough side for sharpening, is that worth using or should I just see about getting it professionally sharpened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. It's a ceramic rod. I'll make sure to remind them about it as well. My roommate has never cared to know anything about the kitchen, and my wife just sticks everything in the dishwasher.

• Locked thread