Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
What the gently caress how does that happen?

Also is that on the spine? If so, my uninformed opinion is that it's a cosmetic problem rather than a functionality problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
It'd be much more worth your time to have the edge professionally reground, fixing that with a low-grit stone would probably take...too long.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

No Wave posted:

When I worked in a kitchen, some people had these neat rubber rings that they'd put under the cutting boards so that they wouldn't slip. Felt nicer than having to wet a paper towel every time. Anyone know these/where I can get them?

I literally found a roll of non-slip rubber padding at the dollar store one day, I think it's supposed to go in cabinets for dishes and whatnot. Works amazingly well for my cutting board, better than a wet towel any day.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Fo3 posted:

I have no idea what that cleaver is or who makes it and why.

CDC confused the hell out of me when they said "bench knife" at first I thought "like what, some type of mezzaluna?" Correct me if I'm wrong though CDC.

A bench knife is for scraping your work surface when baking, among other things.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I'm considering picking up a dedicated prep/vegetable knife. Been looking at japanese steel, but I don't really know what's good for prep. I would likely sharpen it on my waterstone at least once a week, if that changes anything.

Any recommendations for a preferably sub-$100 japanese prep knife?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

GrAviTy84 posted:

for 100% purely vegetable use you will want a nakiri.

In stainless land you can't go wrong with the Tojiro DP http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpna16.html

There is also the Tojiro ITK shirogami http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html which will be a bit fussier in terms of upkeep but will be able to hold a keener edge.

This one also looks pretty great http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mu16na.html
it is blue steel so it will be a skosh fussier still but with even keener of an edge but a bit more brittle than shirogami. This shouldn't be a problem with vegetable only prep, though.

If I was picking for myself, I would get the Murata.

one thing to think about is what kind of knife user are you? Do you rocking chop a lot or do you mostly push/straightupanddown chop? Nakiris are more suited for the latter. if you do a lot of rocking chopping you might want to look at a gyuto.

I'm more of a rock-chopper, but it's something I'm trying to gravitate away from. How difficult is carbon steel to maintain, as someone who has only had stainless knives? I know certain things are more reactive, but I'm not sure what those things are.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Alright, looks like I'll be picking up the Murata pretty soon, thanks guys!

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I have a very similar issue with my Murata Buho Nakiri. I sharpen almost daily on a 1k grit waterstone wrapped in newspaper, and about once a week without newspaper. It seems to lose it's keen edge within about an hour or so of use, and becomes difficult to use for even basic tasks by the end of my shift. I'm pretty diligent about wiping it after use, but also haven't really developed a successful patina either.

I never really hone it at all, because I figured that's what the stone+newspaper was for, but maybe I'm mistaken in that thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

revdrkevind posted:

Between these posts I grabbed a 'Nox santoku, and my preference for cute little Asians grows. I just push-cut a whole stewpot worth of cabbage and celery and carrots like it was second nature. Damnit.

Wait 'till you use a nakiri. I thought about replacing mine for a while because it's a pretty over-reactive carbon steel and I needed to be able to rock-chop better, but I just feel so comfortable with it that I'm just changing how I cut and treat the knife.

• Locked thread