Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryospam
Aug 4, 2013

It seems like they're not available any more in a full set (at least nobody sells a full set) but I picked up few from the Miyabi 7000MC from Henckels and I freaking LOVE them. They're not quite as pretty as many of the handmade Japanese knives, especially some of the etched ones, but they're SUPER sharp and the steel is hardened to a rockwell hardness of 66, far beyond even most premium handmade knives. I got the Santoku, the chef's knife, and the utility knife, I just wish they had a Nakiri in the set. By far the best knives I've ever owned, but I've never spent a TON on kitchen knives.

They were a great upgrade from my Cutco knives I bought when I was 20. =)

No Wave posted:

I made a few borosilicate honing rods.

I was thinking I'd send you that and you could keep it and you could tell me if it's all hosed up. I have a few extras, just kind of curious to get another perspective on how it turned out and I don't really know any other spergy cooks. I mean that as a compliment.

Just let me know if you (gravity) are interested, and I'll send it off.

No Wave, Any chance you would be willing to sell one of those? I can't seem to find a good borosilicate rod anywhere now that HandAmerican seems to have stopped selling them.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nakiri: Sort of a longish, shorter cleaver. These are pretty much only used for prepping vegetables. If you are a chopper, notrocker who cooks primarily vegetarian, this is the knife for you!

drat that thing is beautiful looking, what kind of Nakiri is that?

cryospam fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryospam
Aug 4, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I have a 8in Miyabi guyto. It's not bad, It's a 700D, and it is most definitely not 66 rockwell.

The 7000D aren't made form the same steel as the 7000MC series. Also, it unfortunately seems like Henckels discontinued the MC and MCD (which is etched to look pretty) lines that are made of harder ZDP-189, and they are using the softer VG10 steel in their other Miyabi lines including the .

I picked them up because I wanted the amazing durability of the steel. The other Miyabi lines, the Miyabi Pro, the 7000D is VG10 rebadged as CMV60. VG10 isn't bad steel, it is 60 rockwell hardness after all, but the difference is significant.

I wish they had made a few more kinds of knives in the MC series, they are totally amazing, I'd have loved a Nakiri for slicing vegetables.

cryospam
Aug 4, 2013

deimos posted:

Yeah Miyabis are actually from a Japanese OEM they bought recently IIRC.

That's a shame, the MC and MCD knives are really nice, but the new lines pale in comparison. They use MUCH softer steel.

cryospam
Aug 4, 2013

No Wave posted:

Realistically, mine are kind of poo poo and the reason I've been sitting on it is I don't even know if the rubber's food grade. They're foosball handles, so really they only would be incidentally. I don't think this matters, but I wanted to give the disclaimer. I'd send you one for the cost of shipping, like $7 if you wanted.

I sent you a PM, I'd totally be up for that, thanks!!

Filboid Studge posted:

Teak has like 1.5 % silicon dioxide crystals by weight. That is aka sand/quartz/amethyst. Teak is therefore good for non-slip boat decks and really poo poo for every tool it meets, and your knees if you fall over on it...

Wow, I never knew why it was such a common deck material for boats. The stuff won't rot if you use teak oil on it too. I spent many summers during my teenage years cleaning & oiling my uncles boat in exchange for the ability to use it to swoon women once in a while.

cryospam fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 14, 2013

cryospam
Aug 4, 2013

Ok, well they're a bit more than the 130 dollar price range at 180, but with it's 66 rockwell hardness and the fact that they're a discontinued line of $300 knives, you would NOT be disappointed with the Miyabi 7000 MC or MCD line (good luck finding any MCD's in stock.) Don't get the 7000 Pro's, they kind of suck as the steel is much softer and not as resilient plus they are the same price.

They're a bit hard to find, (no stores with storefronts have them due to them being discontinued) but Cutlery And More has got some in stock still.

For a basic review on them check out The Make Sushi YouTube Channel and if you're looking for a much more in depth and technical review from Zknives.

I looked around for a while, and almost pulled the trigger on a couple of Konosuke Mirror blades but after reading a TON of reviews, the Miyabi's just seemed like a better set.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

...ffffffffffff order to be placed when I get paid.

Have you read the very in depth zKnives reviews of the Tojiro DP's? They reviewed well, but were not considered amazing by any stretch of the imagination. If you're going to wait until Payday to get something, there are a TON of better choices no?

cryospam fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryospam
Aug 4, 2013

deleted duplicate

• Locked thread