Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
I just ordered a Kohetsu Aogami 240 mm Gyuto as a bit of an impulse buy. The only other decent knife I've ever owned is a Victorinox Fibrox, so the gyuto is probably about 3x nicer than is reasonable for me to own, but whatever. I have dumb questions:

1. When I ordered it on CKTG, it automatically added the saya to my cart. Do you find that these are worthwhile? I don't travel with my knives, and I'm the only one that goes near them. Is there something about the wood that prevents rusting by absorbing moisture? Seemed kind of over priced at $30, but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions.

2. I've read widely varying opinions on teak cutting boards. Cook's Illustrated claims that they are The poo poo, while others have said that they're too rough on blades. Is a teak cutting board, such as the ProTeak board, going to be a bad choice for high hardness blades such as the Kohetsu Aogami? Have you noticed a significant difference on your knives on teak vs. other materials? Are the Boos maple boards or a Sanituff boards a better choice? Really nice boards like Boardsmith are way out of my budget, but I'd welcome any recommendations under $100-ish.

Really looking forward to being a cool knife guy, you guys.

fuckwolf fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread