Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Luegene Cards posted:

What's the consensus on Mac's knives? I've got one I adore, but if it's meh I could definitely see upgrading to some of the lovely knives that have been posted.

I have a Mac santoku that I've used for 12 years and I absolutely love it. I still use it more than all my other knives put together, and I have fancy japanese knives and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
someone post a link to these goddamned 'fake' edgepros already

I'm not gonna buy one since I've gotten comfortable with actual knife sharpening, but I've actually looked pretty hard and can't find them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Azn Sensation posted:

This is my knife :(

Although looking at it I guess I over exaggerated it's ruined-ness, it still looks bad to me.

lol, that looks pretty horrible. do let us know if you're able to fix it. I was able to repair a knife that had a notch about the size of the smallest one you have, but I dunno about that giant one. what happened?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
your roommate is a complete dickbag. seriously.

I'd try to find somewhere around you that does knife sharpening services (cooks warehouse around the SE), and see if they'll try their hand at repairing it.

man I'd kill a roommate if they did some poo poo like that to my knives.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cleavers shouldn't have handles. It should just be like a razor sharp bench knife.

lol

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deimos posted:

I really wish people would stop calling pattern welding "damascus", it's loving dumb.

got dat hattori hanzo steel

been jerkin off to uma thurman pictures for weekkkssssss

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so I bought some ornate completely poo poo indonesian cooking knifes during my recent trip there. it was a complete shill of a tourist trap market, but I talked the guy into like $5 for a set of two knifes with a leather bolster thing and they're sort of neat looking so whatever.

they are impossibly sensitive to water/rust, don't hold an edge well - and one of them, a sort of pairing knife, well... for some reason I put it over a gas flame. I don't really recall what I was intending to do, but the knife started to go all rainbow glossy as it heated up. It smoked a little too and smelt weird. The other knife, more like a santoku, didn't have this reaction.

anyone know what in knife manufacturing might cause that kind of rainbow effect if subjected to heat? it seems sort of permanent - but not really like a residue, like when the bottom of a pan gets discolored because you burn oil onto it - it's more like the metal itself has gone rainbow.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Foxrunsecurity posted:

That's surface oxidation, it happens when you heat up mild steel. Sounds like they just knocked knives out of whatever scrap was the cheapest at the time.

Is it really? Why would one knife do it, and the other knife not do it? just different batches of steel? It really smelt like some chemical residue burning off the knife, and the otherone didn't have the same smell/wisps of smoke coming off...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

You know I really respect the guy and love his work but Kenji Lopez has a full-on hate boner for the Victorinox line of knives. He trashes it at every chance he gets. I've had mine for about three years now and it remains one of the best bang-for-my-buck kitchen investments. I actually won a Korin gyuto from Serious Eats in a giveaway and it's too light for my tastes, so I switched back to the Fibrox. I feel like he forgets that even a budget Victorinox chef knife is still light years ahead of what your average Joe Sixpack thinks is acceptable (like one of those hollow knives falling through tomatoes on infomercials or some poo poo).

When I've got some more disposable income sure I'll waste it on a needlessly expensive full-tang riveted knife or some such poo poo, but drat dude it's not like Mr. Victorinox raped your mom and sister and shot your fuckin' dad.

I mean...

they are pretty lovely knives.

I'd still recommend them to anyone looking for a first 'good' 'knife', and I've bought several as cheap presents for people who I know would just appreciate anything sharper than the butter knives they've been using since their college days - but they're still flimsy, cheap, (decent) lovely knives.

not saying a $125 dollar knife is lightyears ahead of a $30 victorinox for most people, but there is qualitatively a big difference between the two. Also, internet bandwagons can be pretty annoying - so given his 'serious eats' thing is his soapbox, I can understand raging against the machine in this case.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

My understanding is that they're the best knife at the price point. And significantly better than 98% of the knives that people in America use. Isn't it likely that it would constitute a huge step up for almost anyone who buys them?

I guess it's just a weird definition of "lovely". But you could argue that it hasn't really hit the point of diminishing returns the same way a Tojiro DP has.

yeah, fair enough. I just mean lovely like, you can tell they aren't a quality product. the balance is really weird, the blade is flimsy, the handle is some cheap plastic, etc. the knife itself is quite sharp, and holds an edge on par with the next tier up - which is why I recommend the knives without reservation (especially to the 98% you're referencing) - but I just think there's not a ton of attention to detail or care there.

since our shoe flameouts I just want to compare everything to shoes : victorinox are like dockers to me. they're fine, look ok, get the job done - but they're a lovely shoe. to 98% of people dockers probably make for perfectly nice dress shoes, but if you care at all about dress shoes and wear them on a daily basis, you'll quickly appreciate something next tier up like johnston and murphy or allen edmonds or whatever. even the price points on this comparison are similar, so I think it's a pretty good one.

rockcity posted:

Every cooking related implement I have bought from Ikea has been the worst thing imaginable and failed within a few uses. I have no experience with their knives but I would not expect them to be any better. For the record, I own a ton of other Ikea things that have been excellent, the kitchen stuff is just horrible.

I've had a few ikea 365 pans in my life which were completely awesome, and I love their cutting boards, 365 plates, and wineglasses. I haven't ever used their knives, so I can't speak to them, but I wouldn't discount ikea cooking products at all.

edit : I just realized my salad spinner came from them, cost like $7, and still going strong after 4 years.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 5, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

martinlutherbling posted:

So I want a good, stainless, Japanese chef knife. I know the Tojiro DP is GWS's perennial favorite, but Im afraid it's too flat. Are there any similar options in the same price range that have a rounder belly?

get one of these

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/products-by-series/professional-series.html

I use a santoku but if you insist on a chef's knife, the 8in with dimples looks pretty rad. or you could just get a giant boring western style one for hacking through bones etc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

martinlutherbling posted:

That looks pretty drat sweet except its more than twice the cost of a DP.

well, their superior series is good too if you can't spend $180 on a knife. I have both a superior and a professional santoku, and the pro is pretty awesome, but the superior is great too.

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/products-by-series/superior-series.html

it looks like their chefs knives have some dumb rounded tip thing which makes no loving sense to me, but maybe you'd like it.

really though, I have a bunch of expensive japanese and german knives, and my mac superior santoku was my daily beater for over 12 years (till I was gifted the professional model a couple months ago). I bought other knives and still would just end up going back to it, for edge retention, overall utility, balance, etc. just my two cents/vouching for a brand. I don't own a Tojiro though, but they look like perfectly nice knives...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ma i married a tuna posted:

I think a lot of the German vs Japanese kitchen knives is becoming subject to internet hyperbole.
I'm not saying Wusthofs and Zwillings and such are better than Tojiros and Shuns - but I don't think they're necessarily worse either.

I agree.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Some people, myself included, don't like the useless weight of a German knife. If I need the heft, I'll grab a cleaver, it's a better tool for the job anyway.

I also agree.

It doesn't really matter, they're all knives that can be perfectly sharp and capable of cutting thing. It mostly boils down to personal preference really, once you get into the $80-250 range. Well, personal preference, and how well you personally maintain your knife. I've used plenty of lovely german knives, and also plenty that subjectively cut better than a lot of japanese blades I've used. ditto for japanese, though I think the sperglord factor generally means people who own expensive japanese knives are more likely to keep them in good shape, compared with your friend's mom who bought a wüsthof because it was recommended to her by a salesperson at williams sonoma.

I like the heft of german knives, but I also like the nimbleness of japanese santokus. I like hard japanese blades - but my sperglord japanese blade literally chipped on a tortilla chip. it's nice to also know you can hack through bones with the best of them, when the time comes.

all knives are beautiful :) :)

well ok except those that aren't

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Why specifically a santoku? Never really `got' them, and thought that mostly they were a forgotten fad from about 2004, like the Numa Numa guy or whatever.

I am not really sure. I definitely like the more flat edge - I'm not a huge "rocker" when I cut, so I find them more suitable to getting clean cuts. I also try to be fairly precise when I cut, so the length of the average santoku is just about right for me to cut the maximum amount of vegetables/whatever that I'd handle at one time. like, I'll push cut 5-6 sticks of celery at once, bunched up as tightly as possible with my hand. to do that with a chef's knife, I'd have to use the part of the knife up against the bolster, and to rock cut that amount of stuff, the knife angle up off the board feels awkward to me.

If I'm doing a ton of prep though, like I have to break down 10lbs of carrots or something, don't get me wrong - definitely going with a chef's knife or gyuto there. just for my average meal though, I tend to be more precise and work quicker with a more nimble, flatter edged knife.

honestly also, I don't think about it that much. I just reach for a knife, and find myself always reaching for a santoku.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this thread makes me want knives when I just got a new knife like 2 months ago and really don't need any more knives :<

my wife's family has a mountain vacation house that we go to pretty regularly and I've started justifying potential purchases in my head like 'well, you know, they really don't have any good knives up at the cabin, so I could just gift them my old cleaver and buy a new one..................'

aaaaa make it stop

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this must be what the crazy people who own like 20 guns feel like

heh heh but it's not crazy when it's cooking knives right guys???? righttttt?????

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

revdrkevind posted:

With guns you have your rifle, that's fine. But you could also get a shotgun. And your cousin knows a guy who can get an AR-15 for cheap, so that's a must. And you've always wanted to try a bolt-action sniper so you get a WWII piece. And ooh, a guy knows a guy that can get an AK that's modded to be legal. But you couldn't get an AK, that would just be... dirty...

So you've got your chef's knife, that's cool. But you always wanted to try a Chinese cleaver. But that was a stainless steel, the carbon would be a lot of fun to play with. And I am thinking about cooking some fish so maybe I can get one of those crazy Japanese katana things. Ooh, that's a drat pretty Japanese knife. But that's so expensive... getting that would just be.... dirty...

yeah

I've been wanting a sig 229 for a while now, I'm worried I'm just going to go off the deep end...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Got another knife. Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm

:shepface:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

copen posted:

I went and got a nagura stone and diamond sharpening stone to get my water stone back in good shape. I am pretty happy with the results. Don't mind my face at the end, I had needed proof it was me for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0rn_G4OrKg

Now I just need to learn to cut straight.

that poor tomato :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bronze posted:

This was the first 240mm i got from amazon. 3 images: http://imgur.com/ME2piM3,NFuX4cC,IcpDP1M

Then I ordered a second because I have prime and wanted to compare. This one has a more even gap but it's still jagged and looks unfinished. Two images: http://imgur.com/oVIo5Ke,XxEWWNu

that looks pretty lovely. I'd be upset.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

The new baby, she has arrived.

Unfortunately I cooked about a week and a half of food on Sunday, so it will be a little while before I can use it for anything meaningful. But man is it pretty.

niceee.

I got the dimpled santoku of that line pretty recently, I love it to death. I should pick up a chef's knife eventually.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
your laguioles remind me of my laguioles and how loving much I love them.

my best man gave me a set for our wedding gift and I'll probably <3 him until I die for it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

d3rt posted:

jean dubost has a real website and is really french. legit as in good? or legit as in french made?

They aren't french made - I did a bunch of research into them. Well, I'm 90% sure they aren't french made. They are 1/3rd the price of the average french made one, in any case.

BUT - they are very high quality (the real ones), and honestly a dubost knife was the first "Laguiole" I ever handled was what made me go like 'holy poo poo I need to look into whoever makes these knives because they're awesome'. The set I have at home is serrated dubost with assorted wooden handles - and I love them to death. I think they cost around $175-250 for 6.

That said,GrAviTy84 - those look a little bogus. The bee stamp on the handle and the shape of the handle shown looks spot on, but the blade looks all wrong. The serrations look way too wide and unpolished/roughly cut. But, like subG said though, they could just be super old and manufactured a totally different way nowadays. Mine look like SubG's picture, but with serrations.

edit: on closer look gravity - is it just me or is the cutting blade thinner than the tang running through the handle? It almost looks like the cutting blade has been riveted onto the handle. I'd wager a fake.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 4, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

d3rt posted:

I thought Mindphux was saying that real Jean Dubost aren't French made.

I was.

I am/was probably mistaken. Thinking about it now, I've seen lots of counterfeits, which suggests that the real stuff must be authentic?

I think probably what is confounding my confusion, is that dubosts are a couple hundred dollars cheaper than any other "Laguiole" cutlery I have found. I got lost in a mad world of different laguiole manufacturers and authentic vs inauthentic markings when I started reading up on it all. And yet, I have a set of dubost knives, and they're loving great.

All said and done, I think my mate ordered my knives off http://www.laguiole-elite.com/ - and I've ordered a corkscrew off of http://www.laguiole-imports.com/ - so I can vouch for those two being legit.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

You can just whack your knife against a trash can or some kind of plastic/rubber thing to pop them off. You'd get laughed at pinching pits in our kitchen, we go through 2-3 cases of avocado a day.

this. I just drag my knife along the edge of my trashcan. which sounds gross, but usually the knife doesn't even make contact with the edge of the can, just the avacado pit.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott808 posted:

I replied earlier, but I ran across these the other day. Might be helpful - http://stellaculinary.com/knife-skill-video-techniques-hd .

If you want some comedy relief knife skill videos ExpertVillage has this series - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL653A5E7B994225FD

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this is hurting my head so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbFGJnaVOw

do never do this; any of this.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 31, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Massasoit posted:

I have a rough honing rod, but after re-reading the OP I want to get a smooth one. Whats a good one from amazon I could pick up, I have like $25, though the less I spend the better - but I don't want something that will mess up my knives.

I have used both metal and ceramic steels for many years - I think I've finally decided I sort of like ceramic better. you can feel the friction a little more, and it feels more like you're honing an edge. plus the grit is finer or whatever.

I'd recommend a MAC or Wusthof one, I have 'em both, they're both fine. both around 25.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't like globals because I think they look lovely, and I hate the one piece construction. and they're overpriced. and their owners tend not to actually keep them sharp.

I've used a few, and I'm sure they are OK knives - but they're really particular - whereas I feel like the wüsthofs, MACs, shuns of the world all feel and function pretty similarly, and you can switch between them without being like 'woah this is different'.

loving bullshit gimmicky ergonomics, I think.

note, I also strongly dislike apple computers/equipment, for roughly all the above exact same reasons.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

I'm considering picking up a petty/utility knife. I'm just a home cook, and I love my chef's knife, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a smaller knife for smaller, quick tasks. (I do have a paring knife, one of the Victorinox ones, but it's a much smaller blade -- 3 1/4".) I'm looking at a few options, and would appreciate some more knowledgeable folks weighing in.

1. Tojiro DP petty, $47 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWH8

2. Global utility, $58 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005JMI96Q

3. Mac Professional utility, $70 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N5FDQS

4. Some other knife

5. You're an idiot, just use your chef's knife

Mac makes some cheaper utility knives too, but they aren't that much cheaper -- around $58 -- and they don't have a bolster, which seems like something I might care about for a knife of this length.

Shun has a utility knife that's roughly the cost of the Tojiro (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ83I22) but I don't really understand all the different Shun lines and I'm guessing for the money it's not great? I don't know. I wasn't really looking at Global until I realized they had a knife in the middle of that range, and from what I've read here the main knock on Global is pricing, not quality, so I thought I'd throw it in the mix.

Thoughts? I tend to prefer to order from Amazon for reasons of convenience and shipping, which I realize will mean some brands (like the Dojo mentioned above) won't be represented.

you'd be fine with any of those, don't overthink it. I love my macs, hate globals personally. I also don't see the point in a utility knife - I'm fine with a pairing and santoku or chef's knife. but if you want a utility knife, treat yourself dawg. ain't no rules in cutlery other than 'it better be sharp' and 'if you like it, use it'. I think you cover both bases with all your options. If it were me, I'd go with shun, because I think I like the quality of their knives and don't currently own one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm still disgusted that my expensive rear end japanese carbon steel whatever knife loving chipped when I chopped a tortilla chip in midair.

I mean come on.

heavily leaning towards the german side of things. I'll probably buy one more high carbon knife, but between my MAC's and Wüsthofs I don't know. cost/reward doesn't seem to be there for getting more spergy than that. someone tell me if I'm wrong and I need to buy the One True Knife. (but I thought I had, and then it chipped on a goddamn torilla chip. :mad: )

edit : to be fair, who tries to split a tortilla chip in twine in midair with an expensive knife? :barf:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rockcity posted:

My mom's 60th birthday is next week and I've decided I want to get her a good knife. Her normal knife is a Calphalon santoku that she has had for 15 years that she takes pretty good care of, but she's overdue for an upgrade. I have a Tojiro DP that she has used and really liked, but I'd like to get her something a little more attractive like a Damascus or hammered steel chefs knife. I know those are really just for looks and I'm ok with that. I'm looking to keep it under $150 if possible. Any recommendations on what to check out?

I wouldn't complain about being gifted a shun santoku, they're sort of pretty - but not the silly damascus level stuff. you really aren't going to find a quality blade with that frilly stuff under $150 afaik.

if you aren't sold on the damascus stuff, I really love my MAC santokus performance wise. have both the professional and the 'mighty' ones, they're both great blades - the pro is a bit thinner with dimples, and stays sharp longer - I think overall it's a harder blade. but I wouldn't chop through bones with it - whereas I would and do with the mighty blade.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hobohemian posted:

I just received an Apex Edge Pro clone off Amazon, and first impressions: It's probably the best 30$ you can spend as far as entry level sharpening goes. None of my good knifes need sharpening, but I did test it on a few oldies I have laying around and I can cut a (roma)tomato to ribbons with a lovely 6$ santoku I bought 6 years ago, and I have shaky hands.

What one did you get? I keep on wondering about edgepro clones, but not wanting to pay $30 for complete crap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've said this a million times before, but I prefer my $9 ikea wooden cutting boards to my $100 expensive rear end "nice" end grain cutting boards. spending money isn't always the way to go, use what makes you happy and works well for you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Decided to post some pics of my knives since knife porn is always fun and also to brag. Sorry for the quality of the pics, I'm not very good at the photography thing.

Probably my favorite knife since it's great for vegetables, my nakiri:

I like this one, very nice. Where'd you pick it up / know the make? I have been wanting to try a nakiri off and on for a minute...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, that's what I was hoping. I still need to get a sharpening and honing set-up, but I've only had the knife for a month. It's done some meat, but it's mostly been chopping vegetables.

if you've been chopping frozen meat with a knife for a month, you almost certainly should re-sharpen it. but no, you ain't permanently hurting it or nothing. just re-profile the motherfucker, and use a ceramic rod before every use if you can trouble yourself.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Eh, I only cut a couple slices off the shoulder, and boned a couple chicken thighs. Aside from that, it's been used for veggies.

What are the recommendations for a honing rod? I've got a Victorinox Fibrox, is it worth getting a ceramic rod or should I stick with a steel one? I'll probably look around town too, but I want to know what kind of price to be aiming for. And obviously I'm not going to get one of the rough rods.

ceramic. if you sharpen your knives, the steel ones are useless. if you never sharpen your knives, a steel one is better. but for gods sake just sharpen your knives.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone recommend a good chinese chef knife that's not the CKTG CCK? $70 is ridiculous.

just go to your local ethnic market, and pick up a cleaver that looks good. honestly.

one of my favorite knives of all time is the one I got in this manner, and it was like a $9 cleaver. I chop through two inch thick solid frozen cubes of stock, hack chicken bones in half, make precise cuts, mince herbs, everything. It holds an edge not as well as a my thin high carbon knives, but when its fresh off the sharpening stone, it's every bit as sharp. love it. has an awesome (maybe bamboo?) wooden handle too.

worst case scenario, you spent 9 dollars, and now own a knife you don't really like all that much. sell it in a garage sale for 15, a bargain, clearly!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I loving hate this video because the camera man (and obviously this guy's boss) keeps on telling him what the gently caress to do, and asking these stupid loving questions.

it's like the guy with the camera in porn who is really obnoxious and you just want to shut the gently caress up because no one loving cares about your commentary about how 'nice' that girls rear end is, questions about where she's from or how old she is, and no one wants to hear you tell her to turn around and start rubbing herself, just shut the gently caress up and let the other dude gently caress her already

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I own a fair number of nice knives. japanese high carbon, german, cheapo chinese, retail brands

does anyone have any suggestions for a knife that loving blows everything else away? like if I was going to spend over $200, what should I be getting? Is it all gimmick and ornate handle work at that point, and not so much about the knife itself?

I hate this company because of my interactions with them, so I definitely won't be buying this poo poo, but the JCK mr itou stuff always makes me go 0_0;;;

I feel like I should probably own something that respectable at some point in my life. of course I have no idea if the blade itself is a stamped piece of poo poo or not. thanks magic of the internet and spergy knife forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

That's a bit heavy. What does it cost them to just take the next name that comes up? Nothing.

people will sign up for anything if it doesn't cost money, and then everything goes to poo poo

kind of like, oh, I don't know, like internet forums or something?

• Locked thread