Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

goddamnit

you made me buy a loving $30 digital magnetic angle cube you fag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
why have I never thought of this

also why is this guy such an obnoxious

http://www.eater.com/2015/9/25/9397899/how-to-diy-steak-knives

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone actually ever used one of these goddamned mr itou knives?

they look so pretty but goddamn such expensive. also I really don't trust JCK as a company. it could be el cheapo bullcrap stamped poo poo for all I know.

edit : because that's a pretty lovely question that I think I already know the answer to - what are y'alls dream knives?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 1, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott808 posted:

Why? I can't recall reading anything bad about them before; quite the opposite, actually.

I bought a $150 knife off them, it (hopefully, best case scenario) had a manufacturing defect (the blade severely chipped while cutting a tortilla chip in half ffs), and the owner refused to replace or refund the knife 10 days after sale. also their whole webpage / marketing copy seems really gimmicky, I just get a bad feeling about their whole deal after my interaction with this dude.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I am a master blademaker.

On the internet.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

theturtle posted:

Thanks for the sensible advice. This thought had crossed my mind as well. Just got a bit obsessed with knives and umm as you guys say 'sperged out'. This seemed like the "sensible" cheaper blade lol. 200$ isn't grave concern but probably way more than a newbie like me needs. I'll see if I can find a Tojiro DP on sale somewhere that sharpens. Seems CKTG is out of stock. I had planned on getting them to do all my sharpening for the time being.

the only reason you're considering buying a tojiro DP (on the internet) is because you sperged out about it (on the internet).

go to a real store, cut some carrots with real knives irl. go to a williams sonoma or bed bath and beyond or whatever, and feel the difference between a wusthof, shun, and whatever else they have.

then ask yourself 'do I really want to buy a knife, sight unseen, from some place on the internet'.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

theturtle posted:

Very true, I appreciate it, I plan to. It's too bad there isn't a place I can check out a Japanese knife locally. I initially just didn't want something that was poo poo and ended up getting enamored by all the sparkly knives ;)
After going I foresee probably still buying the Tojiro as I know I like Chef's knives and $70 bucks isn't too much to throw at something to try. If I don't like it I imagine I can sell it. I mean it's not a wife or anything :D

buy a shun, wusthof, and MAC off amazon then too, and return all but the one you actually like.

burn all the oil in all the delivery trucks and all the trees in all the discarded packaging materials in the name of allmighty capital

this is democracy. this is now. this is. for you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
data wants to be free

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
again, gonna vary regionally - but williams sonoma, bed bath and beyond, sur la table, idk - you just gotta be confident and and really ask to trial them. One williams sonoma I went in even had carrots on hand to chop on. If you're uncomfortable, you can always call ahead and be like "I'm debating between buying these knives, if I came in this afternoon could I try some? What if I bring a bag of carrots?" - they'll let you know if that's a no go, and no harm done.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I bought a kapoosh and returned in within 12 hours, it didn't work at all for me. angles were all wrong, and capacity was horrible.

I have a two wooden mag-bloks now - http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

0 complaints, they are perfect really.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

Though to be fair I find it almost too strong, everytime I put my takeda nakiri on the thing I have a small heart attack cause it loving slams no matter how gently I try to place it up there, at least with my other knives I can attach it toward the point and then slide it into place.

Am I worrying too much?

no, you're definitely not worrying too much. the magnets are super goddamn strong. On one of my two mag blocks, I wasn't able to mount it to a stud, so I put in a super heavy duty drywall anchor - but I have a big chinese cleaver that the mag block like succccccckkkkkkks up with a giant thud - and every time I go to pull the clever off that particular block, I feel like I'm about to rip my drywall right off the wall - the drywall definitely bows out a little as I pull it. I've stopped putting my cleaver on that one. :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
pretty sure if my knives hit the floor a giant oceanic rift would open up between mainland china and mongolia

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Says the guy who chipped a blade on a tortilla chip.

A TORTILLA CHIP
lol >_<;;

well yeah i mean the rift would probably open up straight through to mexico with my luck but

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my gal got me a 9" messermeister meridian elite for xmas, I was missing a quality chef knife in my lineup. a friend got me a wüsthof classic ikon 8in chef also. drowning in solingen steel, and no complaints in sight. wüsthof seems to be holding an edge better, but messermeister has better weight (size difference notwithstanding) and balance.

edit : specifically, the messermeister balances out more perfectly than any other of my knives at the exact center of the knife when using the 'blade' grip. (which is of course how everyone should be gripping their knives). The second closest in balance I own is a MAC Mighty santoku. other german knives skew heavily towards the handle (the wüsthof almost comically so - definitely designed for a handle grip user), and the japanese/chinese knives I have skew slightly more towards the blade side - but are also overall maybe half the weight - so perfect for use with a push-cut, which is how I use them.

all to say, if you're thinking of getting a german blade, check out messermeister as an option.

edit : never henckels, I hope it goes without saying. I have used a handful of their knives and own a couple myself, they're almost comical in comparison to their counterparts. poor balance, poor weight, bad edge retention.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 4, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

General advice has been not to spend much on a bread knife, but I'm a little dissatisfied with the performance of my cheapo Victorinox on the crusty bread I'm usually cutting. I've seen the Tojiro ITK ($64) recommended here but I'd like to go a different direction. Anyone got one they are particularly fond of?

don't listen to the internet about bread knives. get a serrated german knife to cut bread. you don't need to spend a ton of money. you will be happy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, get an offset serrated to cut bread. Preferably a cheap SYSCO or Dexter. Never spend :20bux: on bread knives.

offset serrated cheap german knife :colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fart simpson posted:

Get a Bob Kramer knife

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
love mah mag bloks

http://www.benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Is there any risk of the wood getting damaged if you constantly put a wet knife on there?

yeah. I am pretty good about drying my knives, but *ahem* other people don't take it as seriously. one of my mag bloks has some discoloration after 2-3 years, kinda like if you leave a wet cup on a finished wood table. not a huge deal, I don't notice it that much (since knives are covering it up most of the time) - and I'm sure I could refinish the wood if it ever got super duper bad.

I'm kinda more of the 'use nice things' mentality - don't have a cellphone case (also do my best not to drop my phone), drive the poo poo out of my aging luxury car (but give it tlc), let my cats get all up on my nice table (but yell at them when they scratch the poo poo out of it), dry my knives & don't fret about my magblok. when things get worn into the ground, I'll replace them, and will have enjoyed using them stress free for years.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this is way off topic for this thread, but the neighbors parents who had an 'off limits' 'nice' dining room drove me up the loving wall when I was a kid. I remember being like 13 or 15 or something, and fascinated with the actually interesting poo poo they kept in their china cabinet, and always being shoo'd away. gently caress you, why do you have nice things if you aren't going to appreciate and use them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was thinking it was a pricing error...hadn't really looked into it much. Glad I didn't order then, based on what y'all said!

wait you're making a mistake

you should order ASAP, don't do the delay custom order option, I think these guys are going to fix their pricing error and be charging full price anyways, and probably will chargeback on your card and hurt your credit score. but you can't miss this deal on a set of 3 good knives.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
just my two cents, and unrelated to CKTG - but I will never order poo poo from japanesechefsknife.com again, and openly suggest no goon use this outlet. Between the quality of knife I got from the site, and the horrible customer service, I've got a vote of no confidence.

shame, the mr. itou stuff looks really nice. but I'm not willing to risk hundreds of dollars on a gamble for a decent knife again. fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me and so on.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 30, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

I thought that was japanesechefsknife.com that you had problems with? "Mr. Itou" only shows up on that site, at least.

whoops, you are absolutely right.

sorry for being an idiot. edited my post. have never used CKTG, so no beefs there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: kamikoto master bladesmith spotted, mid forge :siren:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I can't get over the Henckels. Like really, was this dude sharpening this poo poo every week on a belt sander or axe grinder or something? assuming the bolster is the frame of reference for where the heel of the knife originally was, jesus christ 0_0;;

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
+1 on not liking the bolster on the classics. I have wustof knives, and they're great - but I prefer the ikon with the higher bolster. also, did I mention messermeister? really still loving that blade after a couple months of using it. I use it side by side with a wustof, as well.

also shuns are really nice, but I prefer my MAC. that said, I have other super thin brittle hanzo steel, so if I didn't have that I might go for a shun - I always have fun using them when I go to someone's house who has (and maintains) them.

I might have too many knives :ohdear:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BastardAus posted:

Just got MY favourite Wusthof 8" chefs knife sharpened this weekend and look what came back:

Top is the sharpened one, now with mirror finish. Only 11 years old so bolster intact.
Bottom is the carving knife from the same block, unsharpened, but still sharp enough to use - with original satin finish.

I think I preferred the original finish, is there any difference in performance? Jerry the Knife Guy was very informative, but didn't think to ask him why he did the mirror finish. Maybe to justify the $40 service?

yeah, unless he is a Polished Knife Enthusiast, he probably scratched something and wanted to cover it up. also $40 sounds absurd, I hope that was the total cost and you got 8-10 knives done. our neighborhood knife dude does them $3-5 per knife just as a point of comparison. which I think is pretty inexpensive, so I'd forgive a dude charging $10 a knife I guess. maybe.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BastardAus posted:

gently caress, I hope he didn't do that but as he has this mad setup poking out the end of his car(!) I'm guessing there's not enough grunt to equal a bench grinder. Either way, it's a one off for me and I'm happy enough, here's his takeaway instructions - he's a bit eccentric, so don't be too hard on him but please call out obvious bullshit:
Page 1
Page 2

lol

the first obvious bullshit is $40 per knife, gently caress that dude. if he's restoring one completely destroyed with a chipped tip like his 2nd page photo, and it's like loving king authur's motherfucking excalibur of knives, fair enough - but just setting an edge, I mean come on. I realize there's the AUS/USD exchange rate too, but still...

second bullshit is 'longer the taper the sharper the knife' - more like 'the more I make your knife look different from factory, the more I can justify my $40 bullshit'.

no wonder your knife is polished as poo poo, the dude just loves grinding away at knives to remake them to his imaginary perfect specifications.

to be honest I'd be angry if someone took that much metal off my knife for a regular $5 sharpen. sure maybe the knife is sharp as poo poo, and maybe the dude did a good job and the edge will hold for a while - but you took like a centimeter of metal off my poo poo. gently caress you, go slowly destroy someone else's knives for $40. did I mention $40 is like pretty close to half the price of a brand new decent knife?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 15, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

gently caress man im gonna invent a no-handle knife

handles only hold me back anyways

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott808 posted:

There's a guy on a different forum who had a Kohetsu HAP40 who bought it because the CKTG forum said it was pretty much the best thing ever and he said it turned out to be the worst knife he ever bought, it cut like crap and had several issues and CKTG wasn't interested in any after sales support.

this is my experience and opinion with all chefknifetogo poo poo

I will never buy another thing from them, and pity anyone who does.

just get a knife and stop "researching". use it. learn how to sharpen it. if you don't like it, get another. it's a tool, not a sperglord implement.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

I'm coming to believe this is a rare and incredibly specific kind of dyslexia on mindphlux's part.

sorry for being an idiot. edited my post. have never used CKTG, so no beefs there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Dude, you keep making this mistake, you are thinking of JCK, not CKTG, to quote yourself from a few pages back:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whoops, you ar

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'll admit, the wusthof santoku I owned didn't really hold much of an edge either.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 13, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ALL KNIVES ARE GARBAGE I HATE EVERYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I tipped my big gently caress off knife and I'm not sure if I want to grind from the top and keep all the flat or from the bottom or have more of a curve and do just the tip edge. Nuclear option is to reprofile the whole edge by half a mm.

send it to the 'will it blend' people

• Locked thread