Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Anybody have any opinions on this Sabre set of knives:http://www.amazon.com/Saber-German-Steel-Working-Knives/dp/B002QFRSMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1375717637&sr=1-1&keywords=sabre ? A friend mentioned them to me; it' a full set for only around 330 and seems to have decent reviews. There's a couple in there I doubt I'll ever use, but the price and testimonials seems good enough. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Anne Whateley posted:

My brother wants a kitchen knife for breaking down (cooked) chickens, getting cooked chicken off the bone, and getting silverskin off pork.

So for Christmas he asked for a filet knife :iiam:

I think for breaking down chickens, his best bet is my mom's big old Henckels (which could probably use a real sharpening by now). For removing cooked chicken and silverskin, I could get him a 5.5-6" boning knife. Does that sound good?

I have this knife on my "to buy" list, might be up your alley. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmbo14.html

While on the Subject of Fujiwara knives, how do you guys think they stack up to their price equivalent Tojiros? I'm left-handed and I really, really dislike those d shaped handles. Also, would it kill any of these knife manufacturers to make a left-handed single bevel knife for under 300?

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 16, 2013

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Edit:double post.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I just received an Apex Edge Pro clone off Amazon, and first impressions: It's probably the best 30$ you can spend as far as entry level sharpening goes. None of my good knifes need sharpening, but I did test it on a few oldies I have laying around and I can cut a (roma)tomato to ribbons with a lovely 6$ santoku I bought 6 years ago, and I have shaky hands.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 19, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

guppy posted:

The CCK small cleaver has been $60 at CKTG for a long time now. All the comments indicate that they used to be $30. Doubling is a pretty big jump and turns it from an impulse buy into something I start thinking about whether I actually need. Is there another reputable store selling them for less, or is that just what they cost now?

They just jumped up from 45 within the last year actually. That's just what they cost now. Dexter-Russell makes a really good one for around 35 that's stainless steel. Had one like 5 years ago. I remember it being a bit heavier with a slightly wider spine but still pretty great and more widely available. Most kitchen supply stores that serve restaurants will carry one.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 4, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

mindphlux posted:

What one did you get? I keep on wondering about edgepro clones, but not wanting to pay $30 for complete crap.

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

Functionally the system itself works great once you get a good seal on the base. The stones are a bit iffy. One was a bit off center but it sill worked fine. I think if you replaced the stones with the real deal it would almost be indistinguishable. It's super easy to use, especially for someone like me with essential tremor in both hands that makes holding a perfect angle on a regular stone almost impossible. I have a bunch of cheap knifes I've picked up from asian markets over the years and after sharpening them they all preform significantly better. Worth the 30$ for that alone.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Has anyone tried those estone stones that are always recommended when you buy the clones?

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Beast of Bourbon posted:

If you had to receive a knife block set, somewhere between $500 and $1000, what would it be?

Gun to your head, no "i'd take it and sell it and buy a single $1000 fish knife" stuff.

It seems like you're asking "Give me incredibly bad opinions on the subject exclusively". You don't need a knife block set. Get a 30 dollar set of steak knives, a petty, a chef's knife, a bread knife, maybe a long serrated if you suck at cutting things which I suspect you do; It won't be 500 loving dollars to accomplish that with top of the line poo poo and you'll get all the utility I'm assuming you want from it.

• Locked thread