Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I've been rolling sushi for a while and just bought my first yanagi which also happens to be my first carbon steel knife. I like how sharp it can get but am disappointed in how quickly it seems to lose its edge. After sharpening, it will lose that awesome sharpness during a second shift of use. Is this to be expected? I use a 2k stone to sharpen it but plan on getting a 5k stone soon. Will I just have to touch it up almost everyday to maintain that badass edge? This is the knife http://www.chefknivestogo.com/risawh2ya27.html

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You shouldn't straight lose your edge every day, but you still have to hone it. Don't have any White #2 knives, so I can't say for sure, but I usually take my Blue #2 knives to the stone every 4-6 weeks. Just hone with a ceramic rod daily.

e: scratch that, I do have a white #2 knife, thing hardly ever has to be sharpened or honed.

Thanks. The knife doesn't become useless, just doesn't glide right through fish and rolls. I have a ceramic rod labelled only as "medium," so I don't really know what grit it is. I'll probably just end up ordering the Idahone from CKTG when I get a 5k stone and see how it works out.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

If I have a stubborn avocado pit I sometimes just grab my towel to protect my pulling hand from the blade.

I know the OP's suggestion for a mid-tier chef's knife is a Tojiro gyuto, but what are people's thoughts on MAC knives? The restaurant kitchen I'm working in now is much more cramped than my previous job's, so I'd like to pick up a smaller, mid-price knife for service.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Knives!

Left to right: Tojiro ITK kiritsuke 240mm, Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto, Goko Damascus 240mm, Tojiro DP 270mm sujihike, CCK 1301 large cleaver, Miyabi 700D 210mm, Tojiro ITK 150mm petty, and the one up top is a left handed Kanehide honkatsu 160mm.

How do you like the Tojiro Kiritsuke? I've wanted a Kiritsuke for awhile to use at work but I put a stop to my knife buying spree a few months ago. Did you have to thin the edge or did you just remove the kurouchi finish?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

SubG posted:

One of each.

How do you like the Rhino? It looks badass but I have too many knives, a CCK small cleaver being one of them.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm really curious now. The guy I use is no joke (Davis Cookware and Cutlery) and he says it is one of the worst knives he has ever run across. But it does good work in the kitchen so I don't really know what the gently caress. It was my grandfather's and I doubt he would buy a knock off. But who knows. I'm just curious as all get out about the history.

The kitchen I work in now I'm only an expo so I don't take my roll with me to work. I might take it in and see what some of the guys think about it.

Ah yes, the polarizing Davis Cookware and Cutlery. What restaurant do you work at if you don't mind my asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I work at Table 3 which has very legit French cooking. (Legit French cooking = Enough butter to kill you in a small dish)

I've been on and off in the industry for over fifteen years and know a lot of Nashville people. Are you a local?

Edit : I loving love Davis Cutlery. That guy has given me free poo poo and done frequent free knife sharpenings for me. But loving GOD don't go there unless you have time to chat.

Yeah, I work at Two Ten Jack in East Nashville. I don't post a whole lot but I always recognize your av from the regional and UFC threads.

I've only purchased one knife from there, a cleaver that I ended up giving away. The guy helping me was kind of weird about me wanting to hold a knife in my hand to get a feel for it. He didn't want me to get fingerprints on the blade. But he did give me a free blade guard so that's cool. They have a lot of cool kitchen items there but since they only carry American/European knives I haven't bought anything else from them.

• Locked thread