Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
thatdamnjew
Mar 18, 2005

by Fistgrrl
This is thatdamnjew's wife. Yes, I have cleared this with a mod.

Sadly, thatdamnjew passed away June 14. It was very sudden and unexpected despite his long-time battle with chronic neck and back pain.

Here is the short version as closely as I can relate it without the corroborating toxicology report which won't be available for another six weeks. Once toxicology comes back and cites a specific cause of death, I may be updating this thread with a relieved post or a very angry one. We shall see.

On Friday, thatdamnjew went to his normal pain medication refill appointment and picked up his prescriptions. He filled them at the store down the street, which was the only place in town that stocked everything he needed thanks to one very nice pharmacy tech. Anyway, as was his habit (and other chronic pain sufferers have seconded this as normal behaviour), he took one of his immediate-release pain pills before he drove off. (I verified with the Coroner that there was only one pill missing from his new 'scrip bottle.)

Now, usually when he picked up his prescriptions, he came straight home. This time he drove a little way down the road and picked up two Red Bulls, some cigarettes, and a grape soda.

I know the first pill of the bottle always gave him the nods, but he usually handled that safely at home. The effects of the pill must have kicked in about the time he pulled into the driveway; the keys were in his lap and his posture was relaxed when I found him.

The high temperature of that afternoon was 104 (F). You do not stay in a car in the afternoon sun out here or you'll die. What likely happened is that the nods caught him, he relaxed into the feeling of lowered pain, and he died of heatstroke. Heatstroke can occur at temperatures over 104 degrees (F) and if he was in the car for more than ten minutes, the temperature inside could easily have reached 120 or more. In that kind of temperature, with his shaky health... no chance.

When I found him, there was nothing anyone could do. I smashed the back window of the car with a sledgehammer and climbed in to try and save him but all I got out of it was a traumatic memory seared into my brain and a bloody foot. Our kids were elsewhere at the time, however, for which I am eternally thankful for.

If there are two things I can take from this experience, they are to make sure you and your family members have life insurance, and to pay attention to the ones you love because little things that you miss can turn into big things that can't be avoided.

-- thatdamnjew's widow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU