Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhandhali posted:

So what is it about the Shadowrun kickstarter that has made you wary?

The DRM thing. It is important to me and as far as I'm concerned it is a broken promise.

The delay did not help. The part where they gave some stuff exclusively to some magazine but not to backers did not help. The general lack of updates and transparency did not help. The feeling of the community not being listened to did not help. The voting process for choosing a second city was terribly hosed and that did not help. They did not even release the final vote counts for that. Berlin will be DLC and released later, which does not help. Tilesets will be DLC too and you have to buy the tileset if someone makes a scenario with it. It seems like they put a very heavy weight on DLC earning them money. You cannot make your own tilesets and that does not help either.

And finally... Last and least: The floating messages about "-20 damage" make no sense. -20 HP is good. 20 damage is good. -20 damage is WTF.

So this is why I'm reluctant to back SR. One bad experience was enough. Maybe I will take the plunge though. We shall see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

No Gravitas posted:

So this is why I'm reluctant to back SR. One bad experience was enough. Maybe I will take the plunge though. We shall see...
Honestly if you have such strong convictions I'd say kickstarter is not for you as a whole. Backing projects is a fluid beast by its very nature and if you can't tolerate the occasional fluctuation you'll just be frustrated.

Not saying you're wrong mind you. I completely understood the backers that were frustrated by some of the 'letter of the agreement not the spirit' stuff SR pulled with their DRM but that's the kind of thing that's just going to keep happening.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Backed this and am really looking forward to it. What we have seen so far had really impressed me. Looking forward to it.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

No Gravitas posted:

The DRM thing. It is important to me and as far as I'm concerned it is a broken promise.

The delay did not help. The part where they gave some stuff exclusively to some magazine but not to backers did not help. The general lack of updates and transparency did not help. The feeling of the community not being listened to did not help. The voting process for choosing a second city was terribly hosed and that did not help. They did not even release the final vote counts for that. Berlin will be DLC and released later, which does not help. Tilesets will be DLC too and you have to buy the tileset if someone makes a scenario with it. It seems like they put a very heavy weight on DLC earning them money. You cannot make your own tilesets and that does not help either.

And finally... Last and least: The floating messages about "-20 damage" make no sense. -20 HP is good. 20 damage is good. -20 damage is WTF.

Last I checked they were still releasing the game and the expansion as DRM free, so I don't see what promises were broken?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rhandhali posted:

Last I checked they were still releasing the game and the expansion as DRM free, so I don't see what promises were broken?
Not to start this debate again but some people took their 'no-DRM' promise to mean the base game plus any future DLC released. As it is only the first DLC is DRM free and any future DLC will have to come through Steam.

So technically they did keep their word but it can be perceived as violating the spirit of the original promise. Also I think their first announcement was a big vague on some points and I'm not sure everyone kept updated with it.

Anyway this was all discussed ad-nauseum awhile back. I personally have a bit of the truth is in the middle feeling about the whole thing as both sides seemed to get really overwrought about it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda prefer that they lock things with Steam like they did, because a bunch of my buddies IRL were hoping it'd be DRM free because then they could freely share it among themselves and just buy one copy. Apparently they do that all the time with GOG.com games and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Last couple of days of funding has been bumming me out. 4k is pretty awful considering the scope of the game. I don't recall another Kickstarter dropping so fast. It is a little fuzzy due to USD/GBP conversions but they're still only doing about 6k USD I think when I was expecting more like 10k USD/6K GBP and hoping for a minimum of 7k.

I still think they're going to make it just fine but they really need to get the word out if they want to meet any of their stretchgoals.

Of course I'm probably just going through my usual kickstarter cycle.

Interest > investment > excitement > pessimism > obsession > resolution.

I think I need to form a support group.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Darkhold posted:

I still think they're going to make it just fine but they really need to get the word out if they want to meet any of their stretchgoals.

I am surprised they aren't popping up in more places, there's a lot beyond "Syndicate!" that you could talk about.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darkhold posted:

Last couple of days of funding has been bumming me out. 4k is pretty awful considering the scope of the game. I don't recall another Kickstarter dropping so fast. It is a little fuzzy due to USD/GBP conversions but they're still only doing about 6k USD I think when I was expecting more like 10k USD/6K GBP and hoping for a minimum of 7k.

Of course I'm probably just going through my usual kickstarter cycle.

Interest > investment > excitement > pessimism > obsession > resolution.

I think I need to form a support group.

GBP really does hamstring kickstarters. People worry about using their cards directly, think the project is exclusive to Brits and worry about when they're getting billed and so on. In this project's case, there are also a few other points of interest to scare people off, but they never stopped me. Just wish I had the funds to back more.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Angryboot posted:

I played the hell out of swars back in the day and giggled like an idiot when I saw the kickstarter project go up and backed it immediately. I just hope the new game will have those tinny little "aaahhhhhh" screams with dudes running around on fire. Between Syndicate Wars and Crusader: No Remorse I was setting people on fire left and right in the late 90's.

Very happy to see different classes being implemented too; like MikeD said in the latest interview, I kept running all 4 dudes in Syndicate Wars together as a single lump and just mowed everything down instead of being tactical about it since there really wasn't an incentive to do so.

MINIGUN. That voice needs to come back for this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGF08SwJ24

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

No Gravitas posted:

The DRM situation with Shadowrun was almost exclusively the result of the licensing deal Harebrained had to work out with Microsoft, a problem which Satellite Reign [being a new IP and presumably owned by the company developing the game] won't have to deal with. So, take that for what it's worth.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

evilmiera posted:

GBP really does hamstring kickstarters. People worry about using their cards directly, think the project is exclusive to Brits and worry about when they're getting billed and so on. In this project's case, there are also a few other points of interest to scare people off, but they never stopped me. Just wish I had the funds to back more.

Well, I know Brian Fargo just plugged it on the Wasteland 2 Facebook feed, so hopefully that should inflate it's numbers.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I was wondering why the numbers suddenly jumped. I just thought since it was getting close to 200k more people were kicking in to push it over.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha oh man I never paid attention to the background sounds and didn't realize they were plugging Ghost in the Shell on audio too. Thought they only did those billboards.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
New interview up Here

Talks about the different classes pretty much what you'd expect With Heavy/Support/Assassin/Hacker dynamic. Doesn't sound like you can roll with anything but the default party which is a bit of a shame. I'd like to see at least six classes (even if a few of them were just subclasses) and let you pick and choose.

Not that this is surprising as it's clearly the vision they were talking about from the beginning.

Slightly more interesting is the fact that they're going to have a weekly developer chat. They already had the first one but I don't remember when they said they were making it a weekly series.

First one is Here but I imagine most people have seen it.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 9, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darkhold posted:

New interview up

Well, they mention Deus Ex as inspiration. Heck, I'm almost sold. Almost.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I never played either Syndicate game but I will try anything made by the dude who made* Startopia.

*sort of

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BastardySkull posted:

I never played either Syndicate game but I will try anything made by the dude who made* Startopia.

*sort of

My earlier reservations have been largely quelled and I'm in. Mainly because I'm fickle, but also any contact with Startopia is a plus in my book.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Guess I'm slowly becoming the Dev update thread updater. We need Stabby The Clown to become obsessed with this project like he was with Divinity.

Anyway

quote:

In this episode we go over the class system and how death works in more detail as well as a cameo from our mascot, Bob.

We've also summarised the video in point form below for those who want a quick overview of what is discussed in the chat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxNCiiIVKNw
Here's a direct link to the full chat

Agent Death

Agents can and will die!
If your agents body dies their consciousness is removed and implanted into a new body.
Agents will keep their skills and abilities which are carried across with their consciousness.
New agents are cloned from a selection of bodies back at base.
New bodies can be obtained by multiple means, like: purchasing them from the black market or harvesting them from the population.
Cloned bodies have genetic traits that give small bonuses to your agents.
Agents lost in the field will lose their augmentations and equipment but if you are fast enough you can salvage the corpse for spare parts or we have multiple insurance packages available to suit your needs.

Classes

Your squad is comprised of 4 different agents, each with their own class or speciality: Soldier, Support, Assassin or Hacker.
This is only the agents starting point.
You are free to customise each of your agents to be fully combat oriented, fully espionage oriented, or anything in-between.

Agents will be able to be customised by giving them different augmentations, skills / abilities, weapons and gear.
Each of these customisation options will allow them to play more of a combat role or an espionage role, or anything in-between.
The highlighted bit is the really interesting part. Sounds like their class system is going to be more flexible then I thought which is good news to me.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Another update. I'm starting to think these guys need to do some consolidation here.

Interview Nothing to see here. Some thoughts on Unity but pretty much just a rehash of stuff we know. This interview clearly was done a few days ago. Co-op multiplayer is briefly touched on. Doesn't look like vs. mutliplayer is on the table (don't know if that's been mentioned before).

Article mostly just a write up from someone that clearly loves the old series. No information but not a bad read.

Article 2 not sure what this is. Just some random thoughts about publishers I guess. Skip it.

Also there's something about reddit AMA (ask me anything) I don't really know anything about reddit so I'll leave that up to you if you want to go there Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 21:00 UTC/GMT.

Time Zone Link

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm pretty glad that someone is doing a Syndicate-style strategy. As much as I loved the 2012 Syndicate, it didn't scratch the cyberpunk-strategy itch.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Darkhold posted:

Another update. I'm starting to think these guys need to do some consolidation here...

Thanks for posting these updates. I'll try to add some more to the OP.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gooble Rampling posted:

Thanks for posting these updates. I'll try to add some more to the OP.
No problem.

I think the most important thing is to highlight the class customization. I think being 'stuck' with Solider/Assassin/Hacker/Support turns off a lot of people. The fact that you can steer your entire team in different directions is different from the impression I initially had.

Obviously up to you though.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'd recommend sticking a bit of media up in the OP too, particularly the mock-up(s?). Admittedly there isn't much of that going around, which I think is something they need to rectify if they want to drag in some more pledges.

If they're too early in development to get anything genuine out before the month is out then they should do what Shadow-Run did and produce some detailed mockups that look like the final game but are clearly marked as projections. What we've mostly got now is a lot of good sounding words, but without the imagery to get the imagination going it's a bit hard to get really excited.

For what it's worth, my own potential pledge is still sitting in my wallet for this very reason.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fwoderwick posted:

produce some detailed mockups
Yeah they really need to get rolling with that. Too many of these kickstarters get this attitude of 'I don't want to put anything preliminary up as it won't show how nice the final product is' when people are actually amazingly tolerant of pre-alpha work.

Stonehearth really learned this lesson as at first they didn't want to put anything out there by the end they were tossing their little demo at youtubers once they realized that people just wanted to see the game in action and talk about it. They didn't care all you could do is run the guys around and build a single house.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Darkhold posted:

Also there's something about reddit AMA (ask me anything) I don't really know anything about reddit so I'll leave that up to you if you want to go there Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 21:00 UTC/GMT.

The AMA has started for anyone interested.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i18ea/we_are_5_lives_studios_the_team_kickstarting/

SMP
May 5, 2009

Dear 5Lives Studios,

You don't need to send so many e-mail updates out. Jesus Christ.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If I could empty quote the post above I would a thousand times.

I've gotten like 3 emails a day for the past couple days and my Kickstarter app has been buzzing my phone too. It's nuts.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Update about the AI coding. Here if you want to read the whole thing.

Highlights (IMO)

quote:

So lets take a standard behavior, Guard. You can imagine this as a typical security guard, night after night given the duty to guard an area. Lets give him an area he is going to guard some kind of compound, nobody should be entering this secure area.

The guard has 2 main senses we need to worry about sight and sound, sight has a field of view (FOV), say 150 degrees and a range, the range might be a km, but he also might not care about what anyone is doing 100 meters outside the volume he is guarding. Hearing has no FOV but has a range much shorter than sight lets say 100 meters.Sound travels slow so would take about 1/3rd of a second to travel 100 meters. Then we factor in reaction times too.

Events, events are the means by which we communicate things happening that ai's need to know about.

Fire a gun, broadcast that event to everyone within 500 meters say, here's the key though, the sound of the event goes into a queue for everyone within range. They will receive the event when the sound has correctly reached them, the visual of the event will reach them instantly, but if its outside their FOV or something is blocking their line of sight (LOS) they won't react to the visual cue. So really 2 events are created and are propagated at different rates, Gunshot audio event and visual event. Audio Events also are less precise they may only provide the listener with a possible volume for the source of the sound and the volume will be bigger the further away the sound is, and again if there's no LOS maybe the sound had to bounce off a few surfaces to reach the listener so its even less accurate where the source is.

How people react to events is decided by their current behavior as well as various stats they may have.So back to our guard, a gun shot outside his guarded area is probably going to raise his attention if its close enough, what's some of his basic responses we may have actions for.

Go investigate
Take Cover
Sound an Alarm
Run Away and hide
Simply turn and look in that direction and wait
Ignore it
Followed by some Sim like stuff about each person's wants and needs influencing how they react with needs decaying over time. Sounds like it could be good or Oblivion Radiant AI bad. I guess we'll see if their programming chops are up to it.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Darkhold posted:

Update about the AI coding. Here if you want to read the whole thing.
Followed by some Sim like stuff about each person's wants and needs influencing how they react with needs decaying over time. Sounds like it could be good or Oblivion Radiant AI bad. I guess we'll see if their programming chops are up to it.
Exciting! Personally it's this kind of stuff that interests me the most about the potential game. Given that AI is Mike's bread and butter as a programmer I have confidence that they'll set up some cool emergent behavior. Now whether they will also have the time to tweak it to perfection, I don't know.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Here's another update post in which they show a bit about the Support class.

After hearing their recent clarification about being able to customize the classes I am much more excited to see more about them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gooble Rampling posted:

Here's another update post in which they show a bit about the Support class.

After hearing their recent clarification about being able to customize the classes I am much more excited to see more about them.
I kept meaning to get around to updating the thread but the Steam summer sale has most of my attention at the moment.

People definitely need to read through the update. Tons of hints about how flexible they plan to make the upgrade choices which is a good thing.

We need a few more people posting their thoughts in this thread though. Pretty close to an echo chamber in here.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'd kind of switched off as I waited for some sort of in-game (mock-up or otherwise) media.

At the very least I think a world-building update would be good, something to actually tie all these outlined systems to. Some fluff on things like the history of the agency, future policing (is it all PMC's with conflicting interests now?) or even detailing the state of future advertising in the world (good old dystopian floating adver-blimps and the like). I mean at the moment it's a bit like reading a games manual which doesn't have any pictures. It might be interesting from a far off intellectual level, but it's not especially engaging.

That said, talk of the support class sounds cool. They should have started doling these out a lot earlier and definitely before something like the AI update (which I'd file under my earlier comment). Even though it's still only words, I can visualise the idea of a support carrier that has extra rounds for everyone, or is a medic, or provides damage buffs. Then the support drone reminds me of the new X-Com, in which I thought the mobile tanks/cover was a really interesting mechanic to add in. Sounds here like it'll be a cross between that and the Borderlands Soldier's turret.

Also, that dude has a seriously painful looking skull implant. Administer 2 paracetamol to that man.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2013

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

Also, that dude has a seriously painful looking skull implant. Administer 2 paracetamol to that man.
Yeah, it looks achingly fresh, doesn't it?

I prodded them on the AI update to possibly share a white box level, but no real response so far.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If you're going to PAXAus, come to the black annex booth. One of the guys working on Satellite Reign (Mitch) will be there with a few t-shirts to give away.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
For the first time I'm actually concerned about the funding level. The kickstarter is half over and it's only at 65%. Even with the kickstarter being front and back loaded at this rate it will only barely scrape by.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if it would be better if it just slightly failed and they restarted the kickstarer with a more focused media pitch and tried to get it funded in USD so not to scare off all the people that don't like the GBP kickstarters.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
They're Australian. The only reason they can even use Kickstarter is because diskett has dual citizenship. USD isn't an easy option. (Not impossible, but not really easy)

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darkhold posted:

For the first time I'm actually concerned about the funding level. The kickstarter is half over and it's only at 65%. Even with the kickstarter being front and back loaded at this rate it will only barely scrape by.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if it would be better if it just slightly failed and they restarted the kickstarer with a more focused media pitch and tried to get it funded in USD so not to scare off all the people that don't like the GBP kickstarters.

Don't forget the end-of-project boost. It is huge. The last three days can do 20%.

Projects tend to either crash and burn by a mile or succeed by a hair. I think this will pass. I'm hoping for at least the first stretch goal, but I guess we will see.

Once they get almost-done funding they will open Paypal and maybe that will be in USD.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

No Gravitas posted:

Don't forget the end-of-project boost. It is huge. The last three days can do 20%.
I'm not forgetting it. Just feeling a little bit negative as this kickstarter just doesn't have any legs under it yet. There's lulls and then there's only doing 3k in a day.

quote:

Projects tend to either crash and burn by a mile or succeed by a hair. I think this will pass. I'm hoping for at least the first stretch goal, but I guess we will see.

Once they get almost-done funding they will open Paypal and maybe that will be in USD.
They should hire me as a consultant (I'll take zero pay) and I'll list the drat project in USD. Though I wonder how I'd explain that to the IRS.

This really feels like this a project that needs 1mil USD to really be what it needs to be. Instead they're going to limp over the finish line. I really hope these devs know how to budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Anyway update time again.

Some stuff about how they went around designing the Support Agent art they just sent out. Didn't really interest me but if you're a person that's interested in the process it mean be more meaningful.

Also posted several interviews.

First up Article 1 First I thought this was another boilerplate rehash 'who are you?' 'What do you want?' but it got interesting a few questions in.

quote:

Are there classes?

Yes, again they are extremely flexible through skill and augmentation customization. Each agent has a series of base traits which favour certain situations the player can expect to face in the game. However, these traits are not locked in stone. If the player wishes for a combat-heavy squad, they can equip combat augs and skill up combat traits and vice versa.

The classes as they stand now are:

-Soldier

Their base role is geared more towards frontline management
Being able to take a large amount of damage and dealing out a tone of their own
Effectively attracting much of the agro from enemy combatants
They are also adept at strong arming so using their ‘charisma’ to force someone's hand will be critical to the more civil encounters

-Support

Their base role is a mix of defensive and countermeasures

-Hacker

Their base role is controlling the field of play, be it through suppression and/or interaction with the environment/enemies and/or the populace
Hack into the neural links of the populace to control them to do your bidding
Activate/deactivate any electronic device to manipulate your surroundings, be it alarms, mechs, drones, turrets, road spikes or even traffic lights
Deploy airborne drones to hack, scout, defend or attack

-Assassin

Their base role is one of stealth and subterfuge
Use their long-range skills to pick off incoming forces from afar or stealth up behind a commander and take him out with your melee to turn the tide of battle your way
Scout out protected areas or sneak in to lay explosives
All good stuff here. Also more stuff about the non-linear nature of the game. The role of propaganda. Stuff about permadeath we already knew. This article is half and half. I'd suggest just skipping down to where I quoted and read the rest if you've been keeping up.

Article 2 Some bitching about the industry to start with. Some basic fluff doesn't get good until about 3/4ths of the way through. Some destructible environments. Hints that fully destroyable objects will be a stretch goal. Stated that mind controlling war mechs is definitely going to be a thing.

Youtube commentary? I dunno some blurry uncharismatic youtubber talking about the game. I couldn't watch it someone else will have to bite the bullet.

Article 3 Erm a lot of 'the game is going to be like this' and 'here's an idea for a mission' here. Interesting if you want to see where their head is at. Not a lot of concrete info.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 15, 2013

• Locked thread