Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

As I said in the kickstarter thread, I'm holding off until theres more info on how it's actually going to play. £16 is a lot to ask on some (nice looking) pictures. The minimal early bird slots is a shame too, it's definitely going to fund well so is it really going to be any more expensive than that at launch?

Don't get me wrong, syndicate is one of the greatest games of all time imo and I was absolutely gutted when the license got wasted on another 'solid' FPS. So I was super excited when this got teased last month, it's just I need to see if they really do get it first.

Either way, I'm glad someone is trying to genuinely resurrect it. I was so disheartened when people were dismissing the old games as shallow and irrelevant now when defending the reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

These days it looks like unity is a no-brainer for the kickstarter business model. Three games I've backed, Wastelands, Dreamfall and Project-Eternity are being produced in it and are looking great. And let's not forget, it is the toolset that brought us Off-Road Velociraptor Safari. Case closed.

As for this game, I hope they recreate all the iconic weaponry as well as getting creative. They've already replied in a comment about having miniguns in (I can hear the sound effect from the original now) but I want to see the equivalent of the devastating gauss gun and laser rifles that disintegrate everyone in a straight line.

From the sounds of things I really need to play Syndicate Wars again if that's going to be a closer touchstone. It's been so long and I've yet to put the effort in to try and get my copy working on modern PCs. Robbing banks was fun, levelling the entire building for personal gain.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

They got a third of the target in the first 2 days. It'd be remarkable if it doesnt get funded from here but I don't suppose it'll get super-funded though. I'm going to take a stab at £500k.

Edit: And thanks for the link SupSuper, maybe I'll beat the final 2part missions this time. Hah, i kid, it will of course be a miserable failure.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 1, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Right, get your names in for the not-Persuadotron (which there will be if they know what's good for them :argh:). Members of the board, I present to you, the Electro-Woo.

And in the absence of any information, here's some things I'd like to see:
- Useable Sky cars (including futuristic police/ambulance/taxi varients)
- Missions that reflect the manipulative corporate warfare. Even though the mission objectives in Syndicate largely revolved around murder/kidnap/steal, it was all given a lot of flavour by the mission briefings, like a governor being in danger of falling in with a rival syndicate, so go assassinate/kidnap his wife so that he might have a change of heart. There was something almost petty about it all.
- Progress through money/research. The fact there's going to be classes makes me wonder if there'll be an experience system. Now, I'm not going to burst in to tears if there's some element of levelling (it worked well enough in XCom) but in a game like this I want to feel more badass because I made more money and researched better guns/implants, not because I killed X number of agents or beat so many missions.
- Missions with a sense of scale to them. Bit hard to put it to words this, but one thing I liked in Syndicate was the initial drop-in where you'd scan the map, see where enemy agents/guards were, what possible routes were available etc, then you'd get cracking and everything would explode. It wasn't exactly Rainbow 6 but it did add a sheen of tactics to everything.
- What this game doesn't need I feel is GTA style randomised traffic/people, presumably in conjunction with a fog of war. Not saying that's even a plan but it was obviously less resource heavy to track everything on small scale maps than on what sounds like a big super city. It relates to the above but it was great being able to view where all the people/police patrols/enemies/cars etc were and react accordingly. A restrictive fog of war would make everything too immediate and short term I feel.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 1, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

You know that sounds so fitting (in a brazenly stolen concept way) that I can't help thinking I've heard that before in some other fictional work.

edit:

Cstar posted:

Church of the New Epoch's Persuadertron was called Indoctrinator in Syndicate Wars, tho.

Ding ding ding!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

It's not why you brought it up, but apparently Cartel has been cancelled. A real shame but then we never did know anything other than the promise to make up for the FPS's lack of faithfulness.

As for names, if they were to stick with the gist of Syndicate then something like Cabal perhaps. Don't think a name has used that since this excellent/bastard hard bit of gaming history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabal_%28video_game%29

That said, that'd be a dumb choice in a world where Cartel was going to be a thing.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Something tells me that there's not going to be so much a device that replicates it, but an agent class that does. The agents I can guess, from what we've seen, is going to be your standard Syndicate-like operative, a stealth CQB agent (the one the concept art makes looks like a ninja with a sword), and probably a hacker agent that can override people's neural chips and make them do suicide attacks against the police. There's gotta be a fourth one, maybe a heavy weapons guy or sniper or something, to fill out the team.

I've thought the same thing. I just hope in that case that it'd still be possible to create a posse of armed civilians rather than turn it completely in to the short term magic spells mind hacking abilities. Nothing wrong with adding those on top though

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

Heck, I'd like it if there were even 11 classes all doing different things, even if you were limited to 4 agents in the field at a time. I will kind of miss the agents just being blank slates with equipment, but the whole weapon switching thing was probably the weakest element from the original Syndicate(s).

Got to disagree with the second point about weapons. To me that was a big chunk of the tactics, picking a range of weapons for the different situations. Flamers for close combat, shotguns/miniguns for mid range, lasers for long range and guass guns for everyone dies. But you had to weigh that up with how many medkits/force fields you'd carry.

But then I also think that juggling two weapon slots in FPS's is not the pinacle of game design.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I don't mean the activity of switching weapons, rather the method in how you had to do it in especially Syndicate wars where the menu was very cumbersome.

I don't really know a better way but maybe having all the weapons visible for all agents at once and being able to switch with a hot-key would be better.

Sorry for being unclear.

Ah, panic over then!

Apparently there'll be the first update video up soon, talking about morality and interaction with the cities population and in the meantime there's a piece of concept art wallpaper featuring the four agents. Not sure what's going on with that guy on the left, apart from apparently missing a right elbow he seems to be puppeteering something that's hovering behind him?

Good to see Daft Punk branching out a bit too.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 2, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Well they're certainly talking a good talk at this point and enjoying it too with their beer and nibbles.

Rock Paper Shotgun has just posted a long interview with Diskett which is worth a read. Spends quite a bit of time talking about the kickstarter model but he does go in to a lot of detail not in the video.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/02/satellite-reign-and-syndicates-simulation-legacy/#more-158898

A few points:
- He created Muckyfoot Studios, which means this man is largely responsible for Startopia and therefore should really be in line for a knighthood
- A mostly fixed camera (no 360 rotation like SW)
- Agents can die, but you transfer their 'talents' (read: experience/levels) in to a new body. Any augs are lost though. Not so far removed from the originals then.
- Diskett is hot for city simulation and interacting systems.
- On city size: "It’s not as big as GTA, but imagine if we took all the Syndicate maps and we put them into one giant map"
- On the agents themselves:
The Assassin - "is more stealthy, and able to go in close for cloaked melee attacks"
The Soldier - "the traditional agent, who will take people on in the streets"
The Hacker - "can hack into and take over mechs, and augmentation of civilians – he’s an agent which takes the role of the persuadatron in the original Syndicate games"
The support class - "is sad because Mike Diskett has not said anything about him"

A good read, I'm definitely moving towards backing now, but I'll wait a little longer, hopefully they'll be able to show something to go with all the right noises they're making.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'd recommend sticking a bit of media up in the OP too, particularly the mock-up(s?). Admittedly there isn't much of that going around, which I think is something they need to rectify if they want to drag in some more pledges.

If they're too early in development to get anything genuine out before the month is out then they should do what Shadow-Run did and produce some detailed mockups that look like the final game but are clearly marked as projections. What we've mostly got now is a lot of good sounding words, but without the imagery to get the imagination going it's a bit hard to get really excited.

For what it's worth, my own potential pledge is still sitting in my wallet for this very reason.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'd kind of switched off as I waited for some sort of in-game (mock-up or otherwise) media.

At the very least I think a world-building update would be good, something to actually tie all these outlined systems to. Some fluff on things like the history of the agency, future policing (is it all PMC's with conflicting interests now?) or even detailing the state of future advertising in the world (good old dystopian floating adver-blimps and the like). I mean at the moment it's a bit like reading a games manual which doesn't have any pictures. It might be interesting from a far off intellectual level, but it's not especially engaging.

That said, talk of the support class sounds cool. They should have started doling these out a lot earlier and definitely before something like the AI update (which I'd file under my earlier comment). Even though it's still only words, I can visualise the idea of a support carrier that has extra rounds for everyone, or is a medic, or provides damage buffs. Then the support drone reminds me of the new X-Com, in which I thought the mobile tanks/cover was a really interesting mechanic to add in. Sounds here like it'll be a cross between that and the Borderlands Soldier's turret.

Also, that dude has a seriously painful looking skull implant. Administer 2 paracetamol to that man.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Echo echo echo

It's interesting that they mention civil encounters and charisma as that suggests a pretty big increase in scope from "See man. Shoot man.". Does that mean your agents to some extent have voices so that they can complete some objectives by social interaction? Are we going to have quest givers that you talk to?

The Hacker's environmental control sounds like it could be very enjoyable if there's liberal chance to use it. Raising police spikes makes me think of the Watchdogs gameplay trailer where the player totals some police cars by raising some security bollards in their path.

I'm quickly skipping through that Youtube Krautfunding Show and one thing that I thought was interesting is that all the cinematic footage at the start of the pledge video is all done with game assets in the game engine. I guess that could mean a lot or a little really but it's nice to have some affirmation that it's more than just concept art at this stage. (Now where the hell is more game asset imagery! :argh:)

Also I've just started playing Syndicate Wars again (thanks guy in thread who told me it was possible to get a CD copy working) and I'm really enjoying it, it is however bastard hard and I've rage quit once or twice. I have no idea how I coped with the ridiculous zoom system as I spend more time looking at the mini-map than the screen because it gives me some idea of what's going on.

It does make me grateful that they are looking to make agents individually useful though as there's very little call to do much as anything other than a 4 man group. I may sound like an idiot with this, but something like Mass Effect's squads would work for this game I think, where everyone is useful in a fight, but each has various class based skills on top that you need to deploy as the situation arises.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 15, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Glad they moved beyond the initial "I'm a girl teehee!" concept sketches to something a bit more utilitarian. God help us, the internet doesn't need much of a nudge to come out with something like "she can persuade me anytime" :smug:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I still think they'd have got more money if there was significantly more early bird slots. That'd get more peoples feet in the door, many of whom would later move up tiers and the whole drive would have much more momentum which can get people on the fringes interested. What have they gained by having 3% of the goal come from 1000 early birds?

Destructable buildings would be very cool, but other than robbing banks and the odd bit of collateral damage I dont remember it being a cornerstone.

I can see why it'd only be some buildings in this game, given the change to a sandbox city it'd be difficult to justify levelling everything.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Someone send them this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/04/the-isometric-age-shadowrun-returns-screens/

People need to be able to visualise what you're aiming for.

edit: That said I wonder what level of game they can make for £350,000 and if they could therefore confidently stick out something like the above at this point. Shadowrun is, asset-wise, 2D art I think and so you can probably take a better stab at your final look.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 19, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

It's an amazing piece of modern human psychology that you could set your watch to the start/end kickstarter push. I'm currently crossing my fingers for someone jumping up from the early bird slot. I missed out on two earlier as I'd completely forgotten that was a thing and they were gone before I could react. I dunno, £13 seems much less of a psychological commitment than £16.

Definitely hoping for environmental destruction. Russell Zimmerman sounds familiar as a name but can't think of anything he's done, google says Shadowrun? As a name of something the factions/districts sound good, although the Scientific district sounds like it'd be the most visually distinct and thats at a tier which would take a big upturn in pledges.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Gooble Rampling posted:

like a parkour Tricky

Thread validated. Also beginning of new kickstarter campaign sighted.

Glad to see everything going well at the end. Given how well shadowrun is being received, that irrationally gets my hopes up for this to come through. And always remember, the man made MF Startopia.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I look at the things they show off/talk about doing and I wonder how on earth they can pull this off with $750,000. But then the updates make them sound like innovative wizards and I'm basically :gbsmith:

I haven't really followed the nitty gritty development process of any kickstarter so I don't know if any half competent team would sound like this, but in my naivity they sound like regular Code MacGuivers.

I see there's a little cyber-pirate chic going on in the civilian examples, pirates rebooty if you will.

I like the sound of the cover system, which makes me think a bit of Company of Heroes/Dawn of War/XCom where it's nice to see people actively using their surroundings. Just as long as it doesn't bog the gameplay down though, I mean in a game like this if cover is becoming a problem then the answer should be to remove said cover. Explosively.

I'm getting mighty close to backing this finally...

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 14, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Thou shalt not be archived. New video up with something a bit more representative of the basic gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu6O3Qq68KQ

Looking ace for pre-alpha, definitely what I envisage from a modern take on Syndicate. I like the Company of Heroes style cover system too, which feels like a natural progression for the game. Also XCOM has prepped me enough for the joy of hilariously oversized guns, the heavy's lazgun or whatever is a thing of beauty.

Not enough things blowing up yet. They better sort that out quick sharp :colbert:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

On the plus side, visually it's looking pretty sweet. I just love the saturated fluorescent lighting.

Guess we'll see where they go next after talking up the modularity and how it makes things more efficient.

Do we know how big the team is now? They mentioned new members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone here an alpha backer (or going to PAX Australia for that matter)? Be good to hear some personal feedback on the early gameplay.

The track on there is cool and as ever the environment art style is excellent, in fact I can categorically say I would enjoy hearing that music in that environment.

New UI artwork seems serviceable at the moment, although there might be some animation which elevates it.

• Locked thread