Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
:siren:Check bottom of this post for links to completed chapters:siren:

Everyone is a robot in Yukari Marii's eyes, but how can you prove something like that to someone else? Just like you can’t describe green to a blind man it’s not possible to prove that you see humans as robots.

Qualia the Purple is a sci-fi mystery manga with a dash of psychological drama serialized in Comic Dengeki Daioh, at time of writing 2 volumes have been released and it’s scanlated up to chapter 11.

Our main character is Manabu Hatou, a super robot normal highschool girl with a sweet phone. One day halfway into the term she meets her classmate Yukari Marii who wants to know if Manabu is a boy or a girl.

This is perfectly reasonable because Manabu is a very masculine name for a girl and it’s not like there’s any other way Yukari can tell because all she sees is a robot. In fact she sees every living thing in the world except for herself as robots, this makes for very difficult art classes.

Also at their school is Nanami Tenjou.

An old friend of Yukari’s from Kindergarten, they haven’t gotten on ever since a mysterious event in their past, Nanami is the only other person at school who knows about Yukari’s sight. In fact she knows more about it than Manabu does, telling her that it would be better to stay ignorant if she wants to keep being Yukari’s friend.

What is the meaning behind Yukari’s eyes? What happened between her and Nanami? What do the recent serial killings have to do with her? How many scientific theories will the mangaka put us through?
:science:

I discovered this manga about a week ago and I really like it, at first I expected fairly wacky school shenanigans based around Yukari seeing robots everywhere but it very rapidly transitioned into a pretty clever mystery series. I believe it’s still currently being serialized but I’m not sure what chapter it’s up to in Japan and I hope it continues for a while. The characters are interesting, the art is nothing special but it gets the job done and can be pretty clever when it wants to, the story is really engaging and I honestly have no idea what’s going to happen next, poo poo escalates rapidly and I'm currently being bombarded with SCIENCE. I had to make this thread cause I want to get some more attention this manga's way, I think it deserves some. Check it out here or here.

:science:

Translations of this manga suffer from requiring some rather specific scientific knowledge and how to express it in both japanese and english, because of this the only group translating it stalled for a long time. Fortunately two awesome goons in two different timelines have been independently continuing from where they left off, everyone thank Dr_Amazing and FutureCop for doing this and being generally excellent people.
You can find chapters 1-13 on your usual manga reading site, the rest of the chapters will be aggregated here as they finish are on those sites as well these days.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, its shaping up to be pretty interesting. With the tags that were on it initially on Batoto, it looked like a light shoujo ai with an actual plot and interesting leads, but its turned out to be a lot more than that.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I recently started reading this thinking it was a light hearted comedy kind of thing. Turns out it's a whole different thing altogether.
I do hope it can keep up and stay its own special thing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I decided to read this on a whim, and well this really escalates after a few issues. It's Madoka levels of crazy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how determined and insane Manabu is.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Alright, the sheer bizarreness of the premise has convinced me to give this a try. I'm only on the first chapter, but I do like the art style.

Edit: Chapter 5 & 6, that got weird fast.

Edit2: Looking back now, calling chapters 5 and 6 weird is just so quaint.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 1, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This looked dark in the first few pages, was fluffy as hell for the next 2 chapters to the point where it looked like typical goofy high-school sci-fi stuff, then goes off the deep end and instead of learning to swim it just takes a deep-diving submarine and heads straight for the Mariana Trench. I was kind of put off by how the first arc ended, so if you're not a big fan of that twist...keep going. Just...keep going.

E: I'm slightly worried about pacing (latest chapter) and the fact that after being so character-focused in volume one, chapters 10 and 11 are zooming through plot with Gaku explicitly 'regressing' as a character, Yukari gone, and no-one else getting page-time. I mean, I like the plot, but it feels like two different manga.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 1, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what to make of the twisting and turning story and all the Quantum Theory info dumps quite yet, but i really have to say that i didn't expect this to become so... badass. A train of thought that goes "You can never kill me, I have lived a thousand lives; I will bring you down with an infinite army of myself" is Shounen as gently caress.

Yeah, it's kinda at odds with the tone of the rest of this manga's themes, but i'm willing to give it a pass for now.

[edit]

Also, this is the best chapter cover page:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 1, 2013

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
This manga is :krad: I'm ecstatic every time I see a new chapter has been released.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
This is the best manga in the world. Possibly the best manga in the set of all possible worlds.

Holy poo poo. I'm trying to post content, really, but... Everything I attempt to write is more incoherently adoring than the last and I'm just going to stop before I embarrass myself any further.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

As awesome as literally everything that's happened post-Cellphone is, I wonder where they are going to go with this. It's not like anyone can really stop someone with the power to try literally every permutation of events at the same time and proceed with the one they like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The premise of this series is really interesting, but god drat is it wordy as hell. I've only really skimmed the chapters after about chapter 6 or so, but that is at least enough to get the general idea that the main character is :black101: as hell, though. I think the most interesting part about the series is that the main character is otherwise completely normal and can do this simply because she accepted that all the alternate possibilities could exist. This could be a false interpretation based on my having just skimmed the later chapters, though. Just double checked and I was indeed mistaken. But still, a combination of a magical cell phone hand and recognizing alternate universes allowing her to do that is pretty neat.

That one chapter opening page is incredibly accurate, to be sure.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 1, 2013

Killian Grey
Nov 7, 2009

If I could have just one wish, I would probably screw it up.
I just tried to explain this series to someone else but their eyes glazed over when I started talking about waves and particles.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Killian Grey posted:

I just tried to explain this series to someone else but their eyes glazed over when I started talking about waves and particles.

These are all real theories according to Tenko's current translator for Qualia

http://tenko.fansubban.org/2013/06/qualia-the-purple-chapter-08-released/ posted:

It’s also worth noting that, to my knowledge, all of the scientific explanations (read: walls of text about quantum mechanics) featured in Qualia are accurate, and I’ve consulted a bit with a grad student working in quantum to make sure I have all of the wording and terminology down. If you’re used to terrible usage science, especially quantum theory, in fiction (Muvluv Alternative, anyone?), I think you just might be pleasantly surprised by Qualia.

This is also a light novel series for those who can read Japanese and want to check it out.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I thought it was especially fitting that despite the heaps of science :words: the author didn't really even try to explain Yukari's ability wrt the robots at the end of the first arc at all. Any stupid techno-babble explanation for that would have been seriously out of place.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm loving it. I found thatthe author by proxy mentioning how some people would find middle school girls having a very in depth discussion of quantum physics, to be laughably absurd, and the way he challenges that view; to be hilarious and incredibly apt. I'm finding it incredibly entertaining and the scientific and philosophical discussions are surprisingly good.

I am the quanta of my existence
Waves are my body and particles are my blood
I have created over a thousand selves
Aware of loss, Also aware of gain
Withstood pain to create worlds, waiting for one’s arrival
I have no regrets. There are infinite paths.
My whole life was unlimited selves works

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 1, 2013

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I like this. It's like the concept of quantum immortality taken to its utmost extreme as a plot device. Some of the lines are pretty hilarious in their taking of scientific concepts and applying ANIME LOGIC, but drat it can be cool.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Holy poo poo. Just, holy loving poo poo. I thought chapters five and six were crazy, going "what the gently caress?" through them, and then you get to The Point of No Return and can practically hear the wind whistling past your ears as the story takes you for a dive into the absolute best kind of insanity. I will say the pacing seems a bit weird/fast, but it kind of feels like there's a concrete end-point in mind for the overall story so that's fine. I don't expect this to be a terribly long series, though I'd also kill for an anime.

Am I the only one expecting Hatou to eventually develop some way to manifest her Infinite Army into a single world, or otherwise directly and at-will call on the knowledge and abilities of her Infinite Selves?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

So I read the first few chapters and thought "What a nice story about a girl who sees things as robots". Then I got to chapter 6. What the gently caress? :staredog:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zahki posted:

So I read the first few chapters and thought "What a nice story about a girl who sees things as robots". Then I got to chapter 6. What the gently caress? :staredog:

Keep reading. It hasn't started getting insane yet.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
I read through the whole series since the thread went live and I can't think of any better way to spend 2 hours. Fantastic comic. I cannot thank the OP enough for posting this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This mang is absolutely amazing. This is quite possibly the best thing I've read all year. Thanks for making this thread, everyone should try this out.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This is quite an interesting manga. I do enjoy when these stories go way overboard in the more speculative areas of scientific hypotheses and produce bizarre settings like these.

The parallel world thing is pretty awesome but I hope it doesn't take over the story too much, I like the discussions about qualia and P-zombies and so forth even more.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Future tease: Some interesting, seemingly out of genre routes are taken along the way to her goal, just you'll wait.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha I totally saw how chapter 6 would play out as soon as the arm came off. I was not disappointed.

9-11, though, I did not see coming. And it was glorious.

What I liked the most about it, beyond having an awesome protagonist, was that unlike almost every other piece of media that has an elementary school understanding of science, this one has graduated to a college freshman understanding of science!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Somehow this guy managed to make Manobu scarier than the protagonist of Akumetsu.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Just blazed through this due to the link in the surreal daily life thread. Definitely not suited for that thread, but I'm glad it was posted, or I might not have found this manga, and that would be unfortunate. The tone has changed so drastically from chill, to intense & weird, to bizarre & fast-paced, but I've loved every chapter.

Does anybody know how many chapters this thing is at in Japan and whether it's weekly/monthly/bicentennial?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Just blazed through this due to the link in the surreal daily life thread. Definitely not suited for that thread, but I'm glad it was posted, or I might not have found this manga, and that would be unfortunate. The tone has changed so drastically from chill, to intense & weird, to bizarre & fast-paced, but I've loved every chapter.

Does anybody know how many chapters this thing is at in Japan and whether it's weekly/monthly/bicentennial?

It's in Monthly Comic Dengeki Daioh, so that should tell you the frequency. For people that can read Japanese, it's based off a light novel, so you can go look for that if you'd like. The scanlator group says the manga will probably have four volumes and it's "way into" volume 3, so... Probably at least 14 chapters right now?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like this a lot. I love the "This is the point of no return" chapter cover. That really convinced me to read it. Glad I did.

Also, while the art isn't anything too amazing, the staging/composition is very good. Makes for very dramatic storytelling.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Well this certainly didn't go the way I was expecting after the first chapters.
The Technobabble is a bit annoying if you know a bit about all those things.

But that story is just amazing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To be honest, I'd rather this ended sooner rather than later though. Seems that there's only so much one could do with the current premise without it getting old.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well, at least it's an adaption from a finished work, so it won't suffer from endless padding (though I doubt it's popular enough to get that treatment anyway). And considering the swerves thrown into the story so far, it getting old isn't among my foremost concerns.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm unconcerned, we're halfway through, poo poo's going down, revelations are on the table.

And there's no way Yukari is gone for good.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
My head, it's completely full of fucks after reading this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man this started like a cute story but got weird fast. Can't wait to see how the author resolves this.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Just blazed through this due to the link in the surreal daily life thread. Definitely not suited for that thread, but I'm glad it was posted, or I might not have found this manga, and that would be unfortunate.

Yeah I was basically deciding that the first couple of chapters totally count to post it under a technicality just so I could follow through with my thinking of "If people like those mangas then they would probably like Qualia" and everyone should read Qualia. Certainly wouldn't expect it to get discussion in that thread, it was just a "Heads up this is awesome."

Man I'm really stunned at the reaction this is getting here, I knew I liked it but at most I expected a couple of people thinking it was cool. I can't wait to see what happens as more chapters come out and drag us along this wild ride. I really need to figure out a good panel of Gaku to turn into an avatar to go with "I act once more in imitation of light" also.

God drat I want an anime.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 2, 2013

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Got pretty :allears: when they gave an explanation of Schrodinger's Cat comprehensive enough to appropriately link it to the Many Worlds Interpretation. This definitely seems like the type of series that could fall apart at any moment, but it's refreshing to see sci-fi stuff that's actually scientifically literate.

On another note, this is the first manga I've read that makes heavy use of the huge-eyes-triangle-nose-spiky-hair-ultra-simplified-emotional-expressions style typical of the genre, yet is very clearly drawn by someone who doesn't need to rely on that stylization as a crutch. I'm kind of shocked at how well they pull it off.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You'd think she'd put all that effort into finding a possible world where Yukari isn't dead.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013
I really like it, but does the ending of the arc seems really telegraphed to me, shortest path after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

GoatLord posted:

You'd think she'd put all that effort into finding a possible world where Yukari isn't dead.

Its not like she can move between worldlines herself. I'm sure there are plenty of Gakus who interpreted the warning about Yukari dying the opposite way and kept her from joining Jaunt, but they're irrelevant since they have no need to avenge someone who isn't dead to them. The author could make up an explanation about Gaku not being connected to them because they don't have a unified goal with her and throw in the word quantum here and there to make it sound convincing if that question arises though.

• Locked thread