Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Alright, the sheer bizarreness of the premise has convinced me to give this a try. I'm only on the first chapter, but I do like the art style.

Edit: Chapter 5 & 6, that got weird fast.

Edit2: Looking back now, calling chapters 5 and 6 weird is just so quaint.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, my take on it is that her only real "ability" is that she can access memories from other potential worlds. The Manabu that was on the plane is still dead, but as a result all the other Manabus know that Jaunt was willing to blow up a plane to end the investigation. It doesn't really let her change the world in any way she can't do herself, with the special knowledge it grants her.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Einander posted:

It's still an avenue worth considering, though -- even if her ability can't do it, she can find out whether it's possible for someone's ability to do it. Gaku's real strength isn't the ability to do something, it's the ability to know, absolutely, whether something can be done. Light determines the ending before it even starts the journey, after all; that's why she remembers living to her forties.

I don't think her ability works exactly like that; she can't, for example, use it to see what the lottery numbers will be before they're drawn, nor could she know the plane was going to blow up before the equivalent time in which it did. One of her selves had to join Jaunt and talk to Alice before she/they knew what really happened. She knew what happened with some of her future identities because it's being narrated as a flashback. It might work to find someone to save Yukari, if only because her infinite selves could potentially check every single person in the world for the ability to do so, then report back.

Obviously, the call that Yukari was going to die doesn't fit that pattern. What exactly happened with that may be revealed in the future.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gyre posted:

Yeah, what with her "experiencing" the plane crash before it happened, I'm speculating that what we're seeing is what she experienced when she got the call about Yukari dying. Gaku is Schrödinger's cat, and at the point right before the call she's neither "alive" (heed the call, Yukari doesn't go to Jaunt) nor "dead" (ignore the call, Yukari goes to Jaunt). Then she gets a call from the "dead" Gaku who checked out all possible futures from her "death" and determined that Yukari being dead sucks. That collapses the wave function to a state where Gaku is "alive" because she listens this time.

Except she didn't experience the crash before it happened. The Gaku we followed woke up having experienced the crash at the time it would have happened, if she hadn't convinced Yukari's family not to go. She has the memory of other possibilities, but only up to the time she is currently at.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zahki posted:

Why does she know how her 40 year old selfs life played out then?

I don't think she does; that part was narrated as a flashback. At some point in the future she looks back at all the possible lives she could have lived. But in the end, she "chooses" the one where she joins Jaunt and finds Alice. Then we go back and experience that potential linearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kind of unrelated, but I remembered seeing this news article about NASA buying a quantum computer a few months ago, and considering the manga's plot thought people might find it interesting.

quote:

Unlike standard machines, the D-Wave Two processor appears to make use of an effect called quantum tunnelling. This allows it to reach solutions to certain types of mathematical problems in fractions of a second. Effectively, it can try all possible solutions at the same time and then select the best.

quote:

In one case it took less than half a second to do something that took conventional software 30 minutes.

A classic example of one of these "combinatorial optimisation" problems is that of the travelling sales rep, who needs to visit several cities in one day, and wants to know the shortest path that connects them all together in order to minimise their mileage.

The D-Wave Two chip can compare all the possible itineraries at once, rather than having to work through each in turn.

• Locked thread