Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This turned out to be pretty good and leaning towards greatness, I hope it keeps up that quality. And I have to say that it was a pretty funny coincidence that two very different stories I was reading today had mentions of p-zombies. :tinfoil:

I'm loving all the quantum stuff, it makes me appreciate having read all those Stephen Hawking, John Gribbin, and Paul Davies books and it's fun to see some of those ideas used to tell what is a pretty good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

What I really want to know is what Jaunt wanted Marii to build them. Possibly something akin to what Gaku has become.

The freakiest bit of foreshadowing is how Gaku says that at this point, she had already stopped being herself, implying that her power is slowly changing her nature. She's fundamentally not far off from being Dr. Manhattan already, just not quite as immediate and obvious with the blowing poo poo up part (yet at least).

The better comparison is that her ability is literally the one granted by the Spice to Mau'dib/Navigators/Leto II from Dune.

Holy crap, I literally feel like I missed the whole forest by staring at one single tree. That's seriously one of my all-time favorite books and the way that Paul's prescience works is really similar to how Gaku is using that phone, i.e.

Private Reflections on Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan posted:

How can they be put to the test in the face of the unanswered questions? Consider: How much is actual prediction of the "wave form" (as Muad'Dib referred to his vision-image) and how much is the prophet shaping the future to fit the prophecy? What of the harmonics inherent in the act of prophecy? Does the prophet see the future or does he see a line of weakness, a fault or cleavage that he may shatter with words or decisions as a diamond-cutter shatters his gem with a blow of a knife?

e: I wonder if Gaku can be interfered with by another person who can do something similar to her? I wonder if she will be.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 6, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey Gaku, there's a certain Mad Scientist you might want to talk to before you go messing with timelines/quantum possibilities to save one person.

And to go back to different character:

Arrakis Awakening by the Princess Irulan posted:

Think of sight. You have eyes, yet cannot see without light. If you are on the floor of a valley, you cannot see beyond your valley. Just so, Muad'Dib could not always choose to look across the mysterious terrain. He tells us that a single obscure decision of prophecy, perhaps the choice of one word over another, could change the entire aspect of the future. He tells us "The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door." And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course, warning "That path leads ever down into stagnation."

Now, about the actual chapter: especially considering the last page, I really doubt she's going to get through the whole ordeal without some sort of repercussions, interpersonal or internal or what remains to be seen yet though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm a big fan of all at once, mainly I'm just happy it's happening at all.

From two different people nonetheless!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Can I ask that someone (maybe FutreCop himself) makes a post with some sirens or something when the full chapter 17 is complete? I hate reading them before they are done. It's bad enough of cliffhanger to hit the actual end of each chapter!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pretty sure you can still change it now.

Only mods can edit titles once they're posted; I suppose he could pm Beef Waifu if he really wanted to.

Anyway,great chapter! Thanks for the notification as well! Future Cop, are you going to do the extras too? I saw them up on batoto and barely resisted clicking.

• Locked thread