Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This looked dark in the first few pages, was fluffy as hell for the next 2 chapters to the point where it looked like typical goofy high-school sci-fi stuff, then goes off the deep end and instead of learning to swim it just takes a deep-diving submarine and heads straight for the Mariana Trench. I was kind of put off by how the first arc ended, so if you're not a big fan of that twist...keep going. Just...keep going.

E: I'm slightly worried about pacing (latest chapter) and the fact that after being so character-focused in volume one, chapters 10 and 11 are zooming through plot with Gaku explicitly 'regressing' as a character, Yukari gone, and no-one else getting page-time. I mean, I like the plot, but it feels like two different manga.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I thought it was especially fitting that despite the heaps of science :words: the author didn't really even try to explain Yukari's ability wrt the robots at the end of the first arc at all. Any stupid techno-babble explanation for that would have been seriously out of place.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well, at least it's an adaption from a finished work, so it won't suffer from endless padding (though I doubt it's popular enough to get that treatment anyway). And considering the swerves thrown into the story so far, it getting old isn't among my foremost concerns.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I saw it mentioned somewhere, and it's funny considering recent developments that the manga opened with Gaku literally having a screw loose. :haw:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
New chapter time! http://www.batoto.net/read/_/182102/qualia-the-purple_ch12_by_tenko

While still a bit exposition-y for my tastes, there was at least less than the previous few chapters, and it looks like next chapter could have even better balance. Some interesting developments this time to be sure, and the 'solution' so far seems to mesh with people's speculation here, though I doubt there won't be more curve-balls thrown in the future.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

veekie posted:

I suppose learning you're a potential deviant would be pretty disturbing.

The fact that she seemed so focused on the gender rather than, you know, little kid aspect (even if her Alice was an outlier maturity-wise) was kind of weird. I just chalked it up to :japan:.

I'm happy it continued the trend of ominous/badass ending pages though!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hatou is turning into a TARDIS :stare:

Haha, it made me think more of reverse Terminator. With her power she could beat even Arnold.
"Where is she? I must kill save Sarah Connor Marii Yukari!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
While I haven't spoiled myself so I can't say whether he's right or not, I believe chapter 16 recently got published yes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Also, She was helping the police before she met Gaku, right? That means JAUNT would almost certainly find out anyway.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Another chapter with a strong few ending pages. drat, Gaku's so far off the rails now that wherever she's at hasn't even heard of rails. Hope the remaining chapters get translated in a slightly more timely manner, 2 months was quite painful.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

This come from a LN, right? Was it long? Can we determine the length of the manga basing on it?

Regular novel, 2 volumes I think. And the manga is already complete as of last month, at 18 chapters total.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Uh excuse me the only correct title is 紫色のクオリア and I'd certainly hope no-one would use a different one.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Nice to see no matter what happens, Gaku will always escalate things! It's like a comforting fact of (manga) life. Gotta wonder where things go from here in this chapter though, yet another cliffhanger end. And yeah, that kiss was pretty cute, haha.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Next chapter can't come fast enough, really. Thanks for translating!

This reminds me of the person who started translating Kurosawa after it had stalled for aeons, the periodical new releases and in-thread discussion for each one makes me nostalgic. I remember they were doing some other translations too, but I can't remember what of. Who knows if they're even active any more.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FutureCop posted:

It's all going to pieces...

bare should be bear in the second image last panel.

Hmmm, an effective take-down of Gaku's methods and motives, I'm interested in seeing where it goes from here re: Yukari's dying affliction and Gaku's sanity.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure practically how much I really agree with Yukari. I mean sure, Yukari should be the one observing herself great. But its not like she died of natural causes or to benefit the many as some sort of noble sacrifice, those would be tragic but at least they're ends that her friends can accept after mourning but inevitably can move on from.

But to Gaku Yukari is in one parallel or another seemingly always dying because of an malevolent outside force and seemingly always as a result of malice (with the exception of being despair driven suicide that one time), I can get behind the idea of that being a simply unacceptable result if you have the means to alter it. If I have super powers how is it not my responsibility to do good and protect those I care about ala Shirou.

I mean yes, Gaku is incredibly possessive and horrifying in the lengths she ended up going To Do What Needs Be Done where the ends justify the means but on the other hand is it really fair or justified for her to do nothing?.

I can accept it if Yukari is arguing that she should have a say and be given the chance to try to defend herself on her own power with support from God-Gaku where-need-be but just accepting her fate is-to-die even I would call bullshit.

I agree that on a basic level it's obviously not an issue, I mean just something like stabbing someone or pulling them out of the way of a car or whatever would fall into the same category if you simplified things. The issue was probably directly down to her powers and how she used them to undermine Yukari's agency despite the whole focus and idea of her powers being ABOUT agency of her own. Basically every time she did something using her power whether it was small or huge to try and help Yukari, it had a negative effect on Yukari's own ability to affect and steer her own life. And the reason that was a quantum issue, as it were, rather than a run-of-the-mill 'you're acting like a controlling stalker' issue, is simply because Gaku's powers were used to do it. Might not be what the author was going for exactly but it makes sense to me, so.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Ending on a mini-cliffhanger huh, how devious! Also I hate to make another reference to it, but Homura could learn something from Yukari regarding being honest with girls turning into metaphysical entities.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm, that's an interesting direction for Gaku. Feels like it'll get solved somehow though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well, nonchalance is clearly the way to go, maybe I'm just ahead of the curve!
Parallel lines huh. Doesn't explain Alice necessarily but I'll wait for the rest of the chapter before thinking too hard.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for translating! Definitely seems t be a lot of work, haha. A nice conclusion in the end I feel, although I'll wait until I've read the next one too before commenting too much.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Pity that the thread died off after the original scanlators dropped it, but any ADTRW rescue is cause for celebration of its own really.
What happened to the person who speed-scanlated Kurosawa anyway? I remember they translated some other stuff as well, but I tried checking their website last year or something and the domain was released. Guess they might have just moved somewhere else or stopped.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Desuwa posted:

I finally got around to clearing some of my backlog of manga and finished this.

I'm not entirely sure I liked the direction the ending took. Steins;gate spoilers but Yukari's situation really parallels Kurisu's situation in the original world line, and I think that mirroring the resolution to that would have been more satisfying. For those who haven't read or watched Steins;Gate, the whole plot is kicked off by Okabe seeing Kurisu get stabbed and it's resolved by Okabe tricking his past self into seeing her get stabbed without her actually getting stabbed.

That sounds terrible IMO. Not that I was 100% satisfied with how Qualia ended, but at least it's not a terrible twist thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't have any strong opinion on how Qualia did it but it's not a "twist" in Steins;Gate at all, the entire show is pretty meticulously structured to require exactly the resolution it had. It's a good time travel story.

e: And more importantly, a good story about a loser jerk with delusions of grandeur learning to live up to his delusions.

Sorry but that resolution is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I'm sure it comes off better in story but there's only so much you can do with it. Besides I'm not a big fan of time-travel stories where someone sets out to prevent something from happening in the past and it actually works anyway. Hence why I enjoyed Gaku's repeated ever-more-ridiculous failures so much.

• Locked thread