Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can you really judge a person by the actions of their self in an alternate universe?
If you're really committed to the idea of actual infinite possibilities, then it means that every single person has an alternate-universe version who is at this very moment feasting on the entrails of a baby they just killed on a whim. Everybody loses the morality game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Actually there are, if I've had it explained to me right in the past. Even just between 1 and 2 there's an infinite number of positive integers. 1.1, 1.12, 1.13, etc forever and always until you bleed out your eyeballs.

Those are by definition not integers, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Silly theory on why Gaku can't save Yukari: Gaku is propagating as light does, but light has a fixed (give or take small variations based on medium), finite speed. On the other side of the equation, if there are an infinite number of worlds, then there are also an infinite number of worlds in a subset with a given quality, no matter how improbable we would consider the existence of such a quality. If Gaku is working in a subset of "worlds where Yukari will inevitably die" and propagating within that infinite subset at a finite speed, it's impossible for her to reach the end of it. Of course this makes assumptions about the "organization" of the multiverse, as well as raising the question of how she got locked into this subset, but her original decision to become like light and stop Yukari's death could have "collapsed the waveform" into a set of worlds where Yukari's death is a foregone conclusion because that's the thing she was specifically looking to change. It would at least explain why Yukari keeps dying no matter what Gaku does, though.

I'm sure there are tons of reasons why this doesn't work in the story, but I sometimes like thinking about the implications of infinity as a mental exercise.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Catkin posted:

:ohdear: What if Yukari decides Gaku needs to be "fixed"?
Help control the narrative-box deity population.

• Locked thread