Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
:siren:Check bottom of this post for links to completed chapters:siren:

Everyone is a robot in Yukari Marii's eyes, but how can you prove something like that to someone else? Just like you can’t describe green to a blind man it’s not possible to prove that you see humans as robots.

Qualia the Purple is a sci-fi mystery manga with a dash of psychological drama serialized in Comic Dengeki Daioh, at time of writing 2 volumes have been released and it’s scanlated up to chapter 11.

Our main character is Manabu Hatou, a super robot normal highschool girl with a sweet phone. One day halfway into the term she meets her classmate Yukari Marii who wants to know if Manabu is a boy or a girl.

This is perfectly reasonable because Manabu is a very masculine name for a girl and it’s not like there’s any other way Yukari can tell because all she sees is a robot. In fact she sees every living thing in the world except for herself as robots, this makes for very difficult art classes.

Also at their school is Nanami Tenjou.

An old friend of Yukari’s from Kindergarten, they haven’t gotten on ever since a mysterious event in their past, Nanami is the only other person at school who knows about Yukari’s sight. In fact she knows more about it than Manabu does, telling her that it would be better to stay ignorant if she wants to keep being Yukari’s friend.

What is the meaning behind Yukari’s eyes? What happened between her and Nanami? What do the recent serial killings have to do with her? How many scientific theories will the mangaka put us through?
:science:

I discovered this manga about a week ago and I really like it, at first I expected fairly wacky school shenanigans based around Yukari seeing robots everywhere but it very rapidly transitioned into a pretty clever mystery series. I believe it’s still currently being serialized but I’m not sure what chapter it’s up to in Japan and I hope it continues for a while. The characters are interesting, the art is nothing special but it gets the job done and can be pretty clever when it wants to, the story is really engaging and I honestly have no idea what’s going to happen next, poo poo escalates rapidly and I'm currently being bombarded with SCIENCE. I had to make this thread cause I want to get some more attention this manga's way, I think it deserves some. Check it out here or here.

:science:

Translations of this manga suffer from requiring some rather specific scientific knowledge and how to express it in both japanese and english, because of this the only group translating it stalled for a long time. Fortunately two awesome goons in two different timelines have been independently continuing from where they left off, everyone thank Dr_Amazing and FutureCop for doing this and being generally excellent people.
You can find chapters 1-13 on your usual manga reading site, the rest of the chapters will be aggregated here as they finish are on those sites as well these days.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Just blazed through this due to the link in the surreal daily life thread. Definitely not suited for that thread, but I'm glad it was posted, or I might not have found this manga, and that would be unfortunate.

Yeah I was basically deciding that the first couple of chapters totally count to post it under a technicality just so I could follow through with my thinking of "If people like those mangas then they would probably like Qualia" and everyone should read Qualia. Certainly wouldn't expect it to get discussion in that thread, it was just a "Heads up this is awesome."

Man I'm really stunned at the reaction this is getting here, I knew I liked it but at most I expected a couple of people thinking it was cool. I can't wait to see what happens as more chapters come out and drag us along this wild ride. I really need to figure out a good panel of Gaku to turn into an avatar to go with "I act once more in imitation of light" also.

God drat I want an anime.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 2, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Phobophilia posted:

And funny that Mad's posting in this thread straight after the Madoka thread, because Manabu's totally the Homura to Yukari's Madoka. Considering the set-up and the parallel foreshadowing of the lives Manaby has wrought, she's probably going to do (is doing/has done) something terrible. Which is great, a tragic hero who will do anything to achieve her goal. It helps that even amongst those where she does manage to contact Alice, this is merely the best of all possible worlds.

I think in this case though there's not exactly danger of anyone trying to claim that Gaku is heroic and noble. She's already done horrible things to Alice in multiple timelines and she's outright stated that she'll do horrible things to her in timelines to come.

I don't suppose anyone who's better at image editing than me could make a decent avatar of the front-most Gaku in this page? I tried but I'm terrible at anything like this so it keeps coming out looking like poo poo. Tried lightening the dark background but it had horrible results.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 4, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can you really judge a person by the actions of their self in an alternate universe? I'm not arguing that Gaku is the most morally coherent person, as it's pretty clear she's incredibly focused on her goal. But it seems to me like Gaku Prime didn't really think of those things as actual options, and that is why she is successful (and therefore, Gaku Prime). She succeeds because she isn't Sadistic Gaku or Violent Gaku, or Pleading With Alice Gaku. If she were more willing to do terrible things, she would fail, but at the same time is still determined to do what it takes.

It's really weird to think of how much knowledge Gaku must have accumulated at this point. She's got the memories of at the very least hundreds of versions of herself.

I don't think of them as being different selves. Gaku doesn't refer to "Another me did this" or "Another me will do this" she always said "I did this" and "I will do this" so she clearly thinks of her other selves as being her, and their actions being her own. If she can remember everything that they experience then is there really any difference between them? Them being different wouldn't really go with the whole thing about how she'll be like light and try every route until she finds the best one.

nielsm posted:

Like this? (Lightened the background somewhat and added a vignette effect to highlight her face more.)
You are a good person.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

veekie posted:

Yeah, and in addition, people work like people except when Yukari does robotic things to them. I believe she also sees herself as a robot, and still needs to eat and drink, so both states are true, except Yukari can selectively choose which one she interacts with.

It's said in chapter 1 or 2 that Yukari sees herself as a human. That's why she got so nervous about swimming because she couldn't see her robot parts to tell if she was waterproof.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
A new chapter! For me? :allears:

Oh god this manga just doesn't stop. Gaku is one of the most terrifying characters I've ever seen. That last page is just...

You know, this is my favourite manga. Ever.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

FillInTheBlank posted:

Chapter 16 was released in Dengeki Daioh July issue.

I need the next four scanlated chapters in my veins and I need them yesterday.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy gently caress yes I've been waiting so long.

Jesus christ I knew Gaku was totally insane but this chapter had her go even further into her craziness. I can't even imagine how far she's going to go over the next five chapters and I can't wait to see more of it.

She even fell in love with Alice in one version and didn't even hesitate to murder her over and over again.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Agreed posted:

I did not like the philosophy of mind parts. They got a lot of the more important details wrong
Do keep in mind that most of the stuff about that was two high school girls just hanging out shooting the poo poo. That kind of context makes me think that a 101-level understanding is actually totally fine to base their conversations around.
:ironicat:

In other news I desperately need chapter 14. Why is it not translated yet?

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 26, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
How can I have been without internet in my flat for 3 weeks and there not be a new chapter out yet? I mean seriously.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I'm not reading any of those pages until it's a full chapter done but you are the best person and I love you.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Seriously though, my face when I clicked onto ADTRW and this thread had 19 new posts. It was a picture.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 3, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy gently caress Gaku. Holy gently caress Gaku. Holy gently caress Gaku. I tried to wait for a full chapter but I can't, I'm an addict. This is the best. I know we can't possibly predict anything about what will happen in this manga but I didn't expect this at all.

I'm so happy I made this thread. Finally I have found the timeline where scanlations are happening. You guys are wonderful.:3:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Does this look like the face of one who knows mercy?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Qwertycoatl posted:

I have no idea why it's translated as Qualia the Purple, since "The Qualia of Purple" seems to match the Japanese and also makes grammatical sense.

Clearly it should be called "The Qualia of Eoten".

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Okay, I've been away for a week on a course and holy loving poo poo what is going? First we get her turning into a magical girl now she's... just... What the gently caress Gaku?

It's been said a dozen times before but god drat you really can't predict what's going to happen in this from chapter to chapter. I don't even have the slightest idea what the next page is going to be.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

DaveKap posted:

Is the OP still around? Could they possibly hold onto the links for imgur albums so I don't have to traverse the murky depths of the thread to find the completed chapter links?

One solution has been given but this is still a good idea!

edit: done!

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So my Chocobo in FFXIV has been called Qualia since I started playing. Finally I managed to do something I've been waiting to be able to do for quite a while.

:v:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

AfroSquirrel posted:

So would that make it a Grand Yurified Theory?

If I'd had any idea where Qualia was going to go when I made the thread, that would have been a good candidate for the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

what
:psyduck:

• Locked thread