Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I like this. It's like the concept of quantum immortality taken to its utmost extreme as a plot device. Some of the lines are pretty hilarious in their taking of scientific concepts and applying ANIME LOGIC, but drat it can be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I'd post the page before this one which just says Episode: 14 and has some artwork, but it kind of spoils her solution for getting rid of Jaunt. It's fantastic, and does indeed go nuts.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

The first three bubbles of the first page should read more like 1: "- and that's it", 2: "The rest is up to you, 'me'." and 3: "Leave it to me!". Judging from the bubbles' shape the third one is the protagonists's response, and it looks like you've mixed up. Otherwise it seems okay, except for some sentences working clumsily in English. I also have little qualms about your translation of the last panel on the second page, but since the explanation continues on to another page I don't know how you'll continue it.

Speaking of the second page, you seem to have found the center tool which makes the text look a lot nicer. :) If you want to spend an extra five minutes to make your pages look even neater, figure out how to adjust levels in your image editing program to make blacks look like black and whites look like white:

I adjusted the levels, moved some text around and cropped unnecessary whitespace out from the side.

To adjust levels in photoshop, find it from the menu somewhere or press CTRL + L. A window like this will appear:

You want to click the black eyedropper tool and click on a part of your image that should be black but looks more like gray because of the scan (usually clicking on hair works fine), and the same for the white eyedropper tool and white color. You don't need to worry about anything else. This shouldn't be overdone or the grays will become black, but it's easy to notice something went wrong:

You should always do this before any other editing such as rotating the page or adding text, or you may create some unnecessary jagged edges and such. Any modern image editing program should have this option somewhere. If you use MSpaint then I'm sorry for your pain.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure Gaku is following her statement of the method being unnecessary as long as you get results by saying that the Copenhagen and many-worlds interpretations have the same result*, and therefore she should act on whichever interpretation is handy for the situation.

*The difference is, as far as I know, philosophical. There is no physical experiment that could determine which interpretation is correct.

In earlier chapters she was talking a lot about wave function collapses, and my take is that earlier she was basically using plot magic to redo the "experiment" over and over until she happened to reach whichever goal she wanted (find Alice, save Yukari). It became apparent that saving Yukari is not going to happen (Jaunt exists -> Yukari dies) and she decided to use plot magic to go to the past to destroy Jaunt. But she's a little kid, so she's decided that she needs magic powers to beat the evil organization. Then she calls her parallel world future selves and receives magic A, and repeats the process for something useful.

That's the most sense I can make of what's happening. Fundamentally she's doing what she was earlier, receiving information from her alter selves, just for a different goal. I get the feeling I'm really missing something important because I'm not seeing why the talk about many-worlds interpretation is necessary, considering she earlier did exactly the same thing while talking about Copenhagen interpretation. I need to re-read things and think harder.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
On rereading I noticed that the manga itself kind of handwaves the business of interacting with alternate selves "...why don't we just go with the paraller worlds thing". Also the ability to use magic can be handwaved the same way her main power was: she's a super robot with many peripherals :v:. Obviously if she syncs with a version that can use magic A, it works fine for her.

Translation talk about important parts I think you've got wrong or could've clarified:
The last panel should read like '"My" mistake was to focus only on the "vertical" possibilities'. and 'I chained myself off from infinite parallel worlds'. I'm not familiar with the expression she uses so she could also be shackling herself onto infinite parallel worlds, referring to her mistake of always starting from the same condition. I'm thinking this because on the next page

I'm sure that after she says she won't commit the same mistake she says something akin to "I won't limit my possibilities".
Also it sounds to me that she's randomly calling versions of herself to both find one that can use magic and to spread the plan
'You know what do, right? ...It's being transmitted from my head, right?' and the response comes as 'Yeah, you're/we're searching for it, aren't you/we? The me from a parallel world!' and continuing 'Unfortunately, these are not the droids I'm not the one you're looking for, but good luck!'
Now that I pay attention to the conversation I feel your pain of the pronoun usage, and am again slightly conflicted whether or not she's looking for someone from a classical fantasy parallel world where ~anything's possible~.

On this page you seem to have missed the middle part completely, which kind of screws over the translation. She says there 'After finding at least one ["me" that can use magic] it will become the "basis"' and continues somewhat like you have in the middle and last rectangle: 'This is the way to utilize limitless potential'. This isn't a huge issue, since she explains it more deeply on the next page.

On the panel in the middle where she's floating, she's explicitly stating that not only her, but all of the collective "us" become like that on both rectangles (capable of using whatever magic, and then capable of using a specific magic she's searching for respectively). Also I still think she's saying that the result is invariant of the interpretation used, and she should use whatever's appropriate. Just like in physics, yaay.

Also, please translate the next four pages in one go, or one page and then a set of three pages because they really need to be seen back-to-back. The reactions. :allears:

FutureCop posted:

Thanks to Ottumon for explaining levels in photoshop; can you believe that when I used to cut out the Japanese text, I used to clone stamp in the texture of the paper on the hole to make it look seamless? With levels, it's such a breeze!
That sounds marginally better than this :). Another tip: if you have a new enough copy of Photoshop (Mine's CS5.1) you'll have access to the Content-Aware fill option which is loving magic (when it works). Here's an example. I only selected the text with magic wand tool, then expanded the selection by 6 or so pixels, used Fill... from the right-click menu and selected Content-Aware from the dropdown menu. With some clever text placement you can get out with drastically reduced need for redrawing if you are anal about translating every bit of SFX and text on-page like I am.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

If there truly are infinitely many Gakus, shouldn't they have already solved the problem? Consider, that if given an infinite set of universes where every possible possibility is explored, thanks to the wacky nature of infinity*, there should be an infinitely large subset of universes in which Gaku found a way to save her friend. It should have been a simple matter, then, to choose at least one of these universes.

EDIT:

*For example: Take the set of all natural numbers, N. This is, of course, infinitely large. The subset of all even numbers is a subset of N. However, this subset is nonetheless equally large an infinity as N.

EDIT2:

And I guess I understand the trivial reason for this -- obviously there'd be no story, otherwise!

I don't think there's literally infinite (usable) parallel universes. Disregarding the fact that the majority of matter on earth is already decoherent and shouldn't realistically exhibit quantum effects, there's a finite amount of particles and a finite amount of states they can be in. Sure, if the universe is infinite there could be infinite amount of different states, but a whole bunch of them (in fact: infinitely many) would be useless - it wouldn't be much of a help to find a parallel universe where Gaku or Yukari has suddenly quantum tunneled herself to outer space. Or all of her atoms suddenly going through radioactive decay.

I don't actually know how multiple-worlds interpretation handles probabilities, but, now that I think of it, the "useless" worlds can be sort of handwaved: in parallel universes where Gaku dies to something silly, she can't pick up the call. :v:

My real issue is that if there are, for whatever reason, infinitely many parallel worlds Gaku can search, and there's finitely many parallel worlds where Yukari survives, we can be almost certain (= the probability is 0) that she will never find a world where Yukari survives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Here's the thing though, if the universe is infinite (or there's an infinite number of parallel finite universes) then there's an infinite number of worlds where Yukari survives and an infinite number where she dies and an infinite number where Gaku is a pigeon and Yukari is a giraffe. Not only that, but while there would be useless worlds (like pigeon-Gaku/giraffe-Yukari) in infinite supply, there would also be an infinite supply of useful worlds. For a given value of "useful" anyway.

From what I understand of the concept of infinity, once you introduce it into the discussion the concept of "finite" ceases to have any real meaning. Because infinity hates you and everything you've ever loved, personally and infinitely.

I don't immediately see any reason why having infinite parallel universes would imply there's infinitely many ones where A occurs. Basically I'm arguing that I'm arguing that a closed system of finite volume and particles (ie. Earth) cannot contain infinitely many quantum states because of fundamental properties of our universe (uncertainty principle). From uncertainty principle you can derive, for example, Planck length which is the shortest possible measurable length - any two distances shorter than it are indistinguishable from each other. Similarly you can derive Planck volume, and then calculate how many discrete places you can fit in Earth's volume. The number will be ridiculously large, but not infinite. Then you can take the amount of particles in the system and calculate the amount of all the possible positions the particles could take, and you'd again arrive in an even more humongous number, which is still not infinite. (or I'm forgetting something important)

A mathematical comparison could be made for the classic dartboard case with a finite surface area. There's infinitely many points on the surface, and in fact any given area on it has infinitely many points. The probability of a dart hitting a given point is always 0, but for any area the probability of the dart hitting somewhere on it is easily calculated.

But on a more :airquote:realistic:airquote: note, you can calculate the maximum data density of a volume the size of Gaku's head, make some optimistic assumptions about the amount of data each clone syncs with, and figure out how many attempts she has before her head collapses into a black hole. Certainly not infinitely many. :science:

On the other hand this way overthinking it.

• Locked thread