Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

A man with flexible morals, Harvey worked his way up from the mail room

muscles like this? posted:

Donna is Harvey's secretary and totally has a crush on him.

I completely disagree with these two statements. Harvey has unquestionable morals, he just doesn't let emotion sway them back and forth, which bites him in the rear end when someone appeals to pity in a desperate situation. Donna doesn't have a crush on Harvey, she just respects him immensely and is comfortable around him, and I'm completely expecting this season to bring a love interest in for her to prove that point (especially after the dust settled from last season).

What's everyone's go-to theory on the merger? Are we going to be stuck for 6 episodes wondering when we'll actually see cases as opposed to people being pushed around thanks to paperwork? It'll suck if there's an episode where Mike and Rachel have a falling out because "work is forcing him" to do something he doesn't like. That's already been beaten to death in a much better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Dexo posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about this show after the subpar midseason finale.

Was the second half better?

The season finale was also botched, but there were some really, really good moments in the latter half of the season.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Makes her look a bit like a sociopath, having to do that at her own firm.

She can't stare the one person who tried who break the merger in the face and tell him that she just got a slap in the face from the partner he tried to oust.

Fazana posted:

I enjoyed the episode but I find it even more amusing there's not a decent person in the whole group, every one of them is a degenerate two faced git in some way or other :v: I know I said it last season as well but by the end of the first episode of this season they are really going for that bigtime.

I think the show is more trying to portray that they all care about one another, but let face-value actions get in the way of them understanding motivations too much (all the sub-plots played with the same theme much more apparently - Mike and Donna being the best example). Harvey only feels betrayed by Jessica doubting him and causing a rift between Mike and him. Jessica is only worried that her putting her foot down is too much for Harvey to handle. They all keep planning ahead for what the person might do to hurt them, but not what the person might do if they care for them.
__

The way it's going, the show is setting Harvey up to be a swing-vote managing partner. I wonder what Jessica will do to win him back.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lagtastic posted:

Oh god whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

gently caress the writers for making me care about Louis again.

Get out!

How could you ever stop in the first place?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Donna doesn't have a crush on Harvey, she just respects him immensely and is comfortable around him, and I'm completely expecting this season to bring a love interest in for her to prove that point

I'll take my money, now.

That said, Mike and Rachel are the most toxic couple to be a co-worker with.

And when did the show decide that every interaction between any two characters needs friction? That's pretty much one thing this show got right when it started off: no unnecessary drama.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

KilGrey posted:

You get no money. Donna is totally in love with Harvey and has been for a long time. She admitted it to Rachel during their drunken night in Harvey's office. That doesn't mean she's going to remain celibate for the rest of her life and never date just because she can't have Harvey.

What she admitted is that she at one point had a thing for/with Harvey.

Am I mis-remembering?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

uublog posted:

I like how many times they've changed the name of the firm in like a year. Pearson Hardman -> Pearson -> Pearson Darby -> Pearson Darby Specter. And I guess Pearson Specter before long?

It's an exceptionally stupid thing, since this is exactly in counter to what Jessica wanted to do to protect the firm.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

How are they going to use a recording where they themselves acknowledge that they knew their witness committed perjury (Darby)? Why doesn't Darby just discredit Steven to save Scottie? He doesn't even have to lie this time.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fazana posted:

As for the other USA shows, I gave up on Burn Notice when they ran the "The princess is in another castle" for the third or so time and I finally bowed out of White Collar last season after the episode where Neil and Moz made a world class masterpiece whiskey bottle on their second or so try after not doing one for ten years. Them being able to forge everything instantly and the writers overusing it in a short space of time got rather tiresome. Did either of them improve?

The princess was caught in the penultimate season of Burn Notice.

The last season which just ended was the fallout from the ending, and it was an incredibly high point for the show.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fazana posted:

Sorry to derail further but one last question as it's hard to find stuff out now without being spoiled. Burn Notice has finished its run and had a proper ending? If that's the case I'll deffo give it another try based on your comments there. Thanks!

Yes, it finished its run. Yes, it had a proper ending that was not just 'well here you go, this is what you started watching the show for', and personally, I thought it was a good enough series-long character arc for everybody involved.

To bring the topic back on track: Last season ended with Hardman on the outs only to come back in the second half to bring a hammer down on the firm. I really hope Darby isn't the big bad new guy who's going to take down Jessica for harboring Hardman from before the show even started.

EDIT: ^^^ The extent of Burn Notice breaking out of its cycle involved it not progressing the main story at the beginning and ending of every episode, but actually having the story itself stretch 13 episodes without any filler 'cases'. That might sound like it breaks what's great about the show, but it really provided for some immensely dark moments.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 18, 2013

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ravel posted:

It's weird how Mike has a literal superpower and they've used it basically once since the pilot: when he drops the opposition's stack of papers and memorises them. In the pilot there's the scene where he remembers the 'Pool Closed' sign, and there's the interview itself. It's like if Bradley Cooper from Limitless became a lawyer. Why don't they do more with him?

He's used it on the computer admin to hold off Jessica. He's used it to ward off his old best friend using his SSN.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

screenwritersblues posted:

Anyone know the album or artist that Harvey and Jessica were listening to at the end of the episode? I was into it and want to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkGsh9f-pY

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

For someone whose business it is to know and understand everything, boy does Donna have Scotty all wrong.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

not allow you to continue playing on credit.

He's wasn't. He was earning money under the table to crash the IPO from competitors and so: he had enough money for the buy-in, so they let him play, take his 25k and after, he still has just as much 'credit owing' as before, but they're 25k richer because he tried to make a quick buck.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I was really confused about what exactly he was doing that was illegal. I don't think they did a very good job of explaining what it was. To me it sounded like Mike really rushed it out and that scene went by too quickly without a clear picture of what was happening. Or maybe I'm just dense, that also could very well be the case.

That's the deal with most of Suits today. We get 5-minute long 'relationship chats' between Mike & Rachel/Harvey & Scotty, and then 20 second expositions on what makes other characters tick. It's not your fault, especially because the scene where they explain what the lawyer was doing wrong had the lawyer explicitly say "I know what it says [in the folder]" cutting off Mike once before it's mentioned again later.

Also, god, I wish Mike & Rachel can stop being a thing. Both of them have been reduced to 'that character in a relationship' and we know nothing about who they are anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

"Holy poo poo, Louis is in with Harold? Harold hates Louis!"

"It's our best shot!"

I was laughing uncontrollably. God drat was that some terrible writing.

• Locked thread