Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Ultra Strike business doesn't bother me nearly as much as them banning legit players while spoofers and hackbots just go wild.

A dude I know got his account banned about 3 weeks ago for no reason that we can discern, and he has yet to hear anything from the powers that be as to what happened. He has reached out numerous times and got nothing. The guy plays totally above board, he's a student and has had nothing else to do all summer but bike all over town and play Ingress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Scanner v1.34 was released recently, here's the release notes:

Release Notes posted:

Version 1.34.0
+ Faster scanner boot and other performance improvements.
+ Passcode redemption in its own tab (larger inventory pics).

The performance improvements are definitely noticeable.

I've got more invites (7) to give away if anyone wants them. Same deal as before, just reply with your e-mail address or PM me.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah the new version is pretty great. I just wish you could zoom out father on the map.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

One thing that's been really bugging me recently is that the title and location of portal keys in your inventory does not change when Niantic rename or move the associated portal. I suspect there is some sort of limitation on the backend that prevents them from altering items in player inventories. Remember a while back when they increased the effectiveness of portal shields however the change didn't affect any portal shields you already had?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
They just changed the rules behind mods again - now you can only place 1 mod per person per portal (and you can't manually remove them or upgrade them), but you get AP for it

The amount of whining on the Ingress G+ community is quite a sight

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

They just changed the rules behind mods again - now you can only place 1 mod per person per portal (and you can't manually remove them or upgrade them), but you get AP for it

The amount of whining on the Ingress G+ community is quite a sight

It's kind of annoying but this late in the game it was a long time coming. Plenty of people with mule accounts hauling around 2k in rare mods.

Oddly enough the biggest hindrance to people using multiple accounts was the hilariously long app launch time. Now that the app launch time is super quick with 1.34 I was wondering how that would play out with those people.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 28, 2013

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's kind of annoying but this late in the game it was a long time coming. Plenty of people with mule accounts hauling around 2k in rare mods.

Oddly enough the biggest hindrance to people using multiple accounts was the hilariously long app launch time. Now that the app launch time is super quick with 1.34 I was wondering how that would play out with those people.

If people have mule accounts they can just deploy on portals using them, defeating the purpose of one mod per player... All this does is hinder people playing by the rules.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I think it's a precursor to the post-8 advancement system, get X achievements and gain the ability to increase the amount of mods you can place, etc

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Eh... portal turnover is fairly high in cities where both sides coordinate well. Not even a 4 count of VR's on a link loaded portal is going to be much of a road block to a handful of L8's wiping out a neighborhood.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Two of our players just had a baby so we did this in celebration.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Tremors posted:

Two of our players just had a baby so we did this in celebration.

131 incoming links? You're out of your goddamned mind, and I salute you!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Niantic have announced another change which is a lot cooler than the "one portal mod per player per portal" garbage:

Ingress G+ Page posted:

Agents who scout local Portals that are accepted and brought online will now receive that Portal Key and 500 AP. Agents can also gain 100 AP by taking and transmitting additional Portal photos.

IMO they should have implemented this ages ago.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Sounds like a great update, especially for players in less populated areas who could do very little earlier on. Even if you live in a town that has no Ingress portals, you can now submit your local town hall, fire department, post office, library, cemetary, and at least a few other things. Submit them, fill them with resonators, and link them, and you're at level 2. I'd like to see them be a bit more careful with accepting portal submissions, but I'm sure most people don't live in areas with as many historically significant places as where I live - our downtown/historical district started with ~20 portals from HMDB and that didn't include some of the fascinating places - the tavern where George Washington stayed while surveying damage from the Revolutionary War in 1789 and the pond next to it that witches were thrown into with those good ol' New England witchhunts.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

So they backed out on the 1 mod per portal thing and for the moment it's 2 now

However - from Brandon Badgers most recent G+ post, it seems like they're looking into a similar system to resonators: 4 common, 2 rare, 1 vr per portal, with some sort of upgrade system in place
I'm hoping this is how they do it, because it really makes the most sense

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I would be OK with that, I hate when I see a portal where one guy laid down 4 VR shields.

If they can get 4 different people to take the time to come out and put them down, then I say they deserve the benefit of the shields.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Finally got around to doing this, nothing bad will come of it I'm sure.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ark posted:

Finally got around to doing this, nothing bad will come of it I'm sure.

At hostpital, lost fingat

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
How did you do that?!?

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

How did you do that?!?

It's a deck that runs on an Android platform, just rooted it and put on the Google Services Framework, Play Store and voila!

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-smart

.. oh and loaded an app that forces it into landscape.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Anyone play this in Paris? Seems a bit like the couple of hours I played it in St Pancreas station - a lot of duplicate portals for the same thing, especially near areas like Montmartre/Sacred Coeur

edit: also playing at the top of the Eiffel Tower is the way to go

Carpet fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2013

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Carpet posted:

Anyone play this in Paris? Seems a bit like the couple of hours I played it in St Pancreas station - a lot of duplicate portals for the same thing, especially near areas like Montmartre/Sacred Coeur

I think you mean King's Cross St Pancras? No E in pancras dohohohoh

But yes there are a lot of london commuters who play and a lot of them seem to be resistance, all of the transport networks are duplicate ridden blue seas. The moment this game came out every major terminal was submitted from every point it could possibly be seen; but also note that london has a colossal amount of landmarks to choose from anyway.

Ingress doesn't really factor in the size of what we count as a landmark in europe. Sure it'd be logical to submit each entrance of a cathedral and some interesting features separately if they are reasonable distances apart, but what actually happens is you get a load of lazy tourists each submitting a slightly different view of the entrance kiosk.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just reached level seven finally. Does this mean I've reached the big leagues?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
No, but it means you're ready to start the big grind

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just reached level seven finally. Does this mean I've reached the big leagues?

I'm about halfway to eight.

By which I mean I'm Level 7, sitting on 900K+ AP. This being a good old-fashioned exponential experience scale, 4 isn't halfway to 8. However, the more potent XM tech available to you at 7 makes the climb easier - I've been holding my entire town green for twenty days now, without problem, weathering Resistance attacks. Life intruded on my ability to play aggressively, so I settled for defense.

Gold defensive medal, though. Can't beat that.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Exit Strategy posted:

Gold defensive medal, though. Can't beat that.

You can with a black medal :)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm about halfway to eight.

By which I mean I'm Level 7, sitting on 900K+ AP.
Don't sell yourself short, you're 3/4 of the way to 8.

It helped for me that I live within walking distance of a university campus with about 40 portals, and there's another 15 or so along the way there. It's a nice place to walk with my kid in the mornings because lots of neighborhood people bring their kids and dogs.

Some student would flip them all at night, so I could basically get up at 6am when my kid did, get an hour of walking in before work, and rack up 50-100K AP in a go.

I got in on basically the first wave of invites around Thanksgiving last year but didn't really level up a whole lot until maybe March when there was finally a good proliferation of portals I could visit on foot near my home or office. It's a fun game but I'm not driving out of my way to play it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The worst part about still being level 1 is when a Level 8 destroys your lovely portals and loads them up with resonators that you can't even scratch.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The first 5 levels go really fast, though. And with the new maximum of 2 shields per player per portal, it's much more likely for a mid level player to come across lightly defended high level portals to pillage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New key drop mechanics make it easy to produce tons of fields to level up, too.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Carpet posted:

Theres a few of us playing it in Versailles just a bit south west of Paris and it's the same for the Versailles Chateau here, whole thing is a complete pack of tourist portals

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
If anyone has a spare invite for <Redacted> ? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
That was fast.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 14, 2013

monopodial
Sep 29, 2001

Moto42 posted:

If anyone has a spare invite for <My Username>@gmail.com ? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Sent

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

TYhankyou Dark(catboy)Man

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Aaaand that didn't work out.
I should have figured that this would require an internet conection to do anything, and my Nexux7 only has wifi.

Back to Zombies5k for my 'games to play with a bicycle' thing.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Tether it to your mobile?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
There's a portal at the other end of the building I work in. Enlightened players have been taking it and it would usually be at level 5. They are also very quick to start recharging portals, and one of them even complained when we had three people on one portal (two of us getting a low-level friend some AP while drunk) and went out at 3am to take back a level 2 portal. I decided to take a different approach.

I keep my phone plugged in with Ingress up, and I fire off a low level burster every 5-10 minutes. Doesn't take it down, but it notifies the owner every time I do. Every once in a while I'll fire a few level 5s so it looks like it needs recharging. After that, back to burning those low level bursters. A week later I took it back and nobody came to attack it.

It's an MMO, you hit the level cap and start griefing other players.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zodijackylite posted:

I keep my phone plugged in with Ingress up, and I fire off a low level burster every 5-10 minutes. Doesn't take it down, but it notifies the owner every time I do. Every once in a while I'll fire a few level 5s so it looks like it needs recharging. After that, back to burning those low level bursters. A week later I took it back and nobody came to attack it.

I like to fire off bursters when I find myself biking through the city at 3AM.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Man I dunno what changed in my city in the last few weeks but the Resistance has gone from owning most of downtown and the suburbs to getting hit everyday at our farms. For awhile it felt like the greens were just giving up but they've come back with a vengeance.

Sucks. Need to recruit more agents, they seem to have double the players we have sometimes.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Samurai Quack posted:

Man I dunno what changed in my city in the last few weeks but the Resistance has gone from owning most of downtown and the suburbs to getting hit everyday at our farms. For awhile it felt like the greens were just giving up but they've come back with a vengeance.

Sucks. Need to recruit more agents, they seem to have double the players we have sometimes.

I was almost going to ask you if it just happened to be Providence - but it looks like the resistance finally woke up today when they had some help from Boston in killing our massive P8 farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

There's a portal at the other end of the building I work in. Enlightened players have been taking it and it would usually be at level 5. They are also very quick to start recharging portals, and one of them even complained when we had three people on one portal (two of us getting a low-level friend some AP while drunk) and went out at 3am to take back a level 2 portal. I decided to take a different approach.

The local term for this is "doorbell ringing," as in the old prank of ringing the doorbell and running.

• Locked thread