Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are invites still a thing? I haven't played in a while but am starting back up, and I have ten apparently. When I last played there were three portals if I took the backroads to and from work. I could get seven if I made my 20 minute drive an hour. Now it seems on the same normal commute route there are 20 or so. There's also a lot more turnover between the teams. Previously it was blue dominated so all I could do was charge portals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There is a portal here that breaks the rules of being publicly accessible, but the process to get to it is great enough that I don't think anyone will report it. The portal is at the Clydesdale stalls at the Anheuser-Bush brewery, and the only way to legally get to it unless you're an employee is to take a brewery tour which is free and rewards you with beer and pretzels at the end.

carticket fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 13, 2014

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GWBBQ posted:

I completely agree that it's in the spirit of the game, but Niantic said you can't do it.

There are some people who will take any game too seriously and all you can do is report them to Niantic and/or the police. Fortunately there are decent people on the other team around here who try to rein in teammates who are toeing the line and will also report them if they cross it.

Farm keys, you've found your spam link target.

People will always whine and make accusations of spoofing, the poo poo I'm referring to is more serious stuff like threats of violence, trying to run people off the road, and intentionally coming inches from clipping people with their cars.

I live in a town with a portal:player ratio of like 10. It's really funny reading this. When the other two players here saw I was playing they politely told me they'd stop recharging their portals less than L8 so I could level up. I can't even imagine running into another player. The closest was 10 minutes before me arriving at the post office, one of the other guys stopped in and deployed and linked it after an attack.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I carpooled in to Boston for an event and hacked portals along the way. The density is astounding. I also got a capsule, what should I do with it?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, in the forum outage gap, I got up to level 6.333. With my capsules I now have entirely too many keys for some of the portals in my town, and I managed a 7k field yesterday (that's pretty good given our population density in NH).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FistEnergy posted:

Tons of angry nerds. I'm 11 million deep and on the verge of burning out, so I don't care at all. The Resistance sucks in Cleveland so it's pretty boring.

Convince Apple users to join you and become their leader.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It may just be temporary for their Helios event.

Edit: I think portal decay should increase if a portal sits idle. I.e if someone gives it any charge, it will decay at the normal rate, but two days untouched and it accelerates.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

WeX Majors posted:

Oh god, a decay mod is so very much needed considering how useless the Link Amp is. Well, at least in US Metropolitan areas. I'm sure they're a lot more useful in say...Nebraska.

Don't forget Siberia.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nebraska here. We never use them.

Not even to load up on a portal and then Jarvis/Ada it?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Sounds like it finally hit the app store.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Are there any organized goon ingress groups? It'd be fun to draw giant green intercontinental dicks with fellow goons.

Complete with blue balls?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Teddybear posted:

I just joined the Enlightened in Boston (iOS), and it's kinda funny to see how super obsessed people get over this. I shouldn't be surprised though.

How can I submit new portals? Is there a minimum level you have to be, or is it not in the iOS version yet?

I've heard the Boston Enlightened have people scraping data to find Resistance guardians. It sounds pretty lame.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They really should have implemented a way to help guide people to teams based on local pops. Even before the decay change, locally we lost more portals to decay than to attacks.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm at 65 days on my guardian and I had an attack notification on it. Luckily, it appears to have just been a drive-by one off and I recharged and all was right.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kitten smoothie posted:

Did they actually submit the post office? When the game was originally opened in late 2012, they seeded the game board with every post office, public library, and firehouse in the US, so that even the tiniest bumpkin town had at least a couple portals. It was easy for them to do because at least the post office info is all a public record and could be easily imported.

This also caused trouble pretty early on into the game because with few other portals in many places, people started lurking around firehouses late at night and they obviously do not care for that.

Don't forget hmdb.org for historical marker portals.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There is an Intel map: ingress.com/intel to see more. There is also IITC, a desktop/mobile version of the official Intel map which adds a lot of useful features, but technically could get you banned.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The only triangle that is unassailable is the triangle where each segment has the same slope, thus causing an overflow of MU for resistance.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I recharged my last 8500 AP to hit 8 tonight. My girlfriend wasn't feeling well so we cut the outing short and I worked my way to 8 and home recharger badge from my couch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Guardian hunting is alive and well among New England Enlightened. Just had someone drive past many blue portals to come take mine out, and getting anywhere from the portal required driving past many more blue portals. I was at 83 days.

In the past 83 days, it has only had one drive by attack.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Carticket

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Actually I probably should have asked who took it out

Nymble

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm not in the NH group so I can't know for sure - but based on stuff I've seen him post, you're probably right, though I still don't think people have any way of knowing what the day was other than the old google docs spreadsheets (or his own) that are probably still being updated

So, do you think I'm safer taking a new portal? I think the last one I took before the Intel API change, but maybe not.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have a work around: winter + foot access only.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That'll do it, but don't put too much stock in it. After all, we've all heard the helicopter story before.

Pretend I haven't (I haven't).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Teddybear posted:

Overnight resistance set up a field with points in New Hampshire, Vermont... and Bermuda. :stare:

I forgot about that with my guardian this morning. I got home from fielding a town about a half hour before this went up and put an end to local linking. It's funny looking at the comms and just seeing link notifications stop.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If your portal is under a field, i.e. southern NH, eastern MA, and all of RI last night, you cannot link to or from.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It's a useful tool and has a lot of plugins that I don't consider cheaty (draw tools, bookmarks). It does also have a lot of cheaty plugins, though. I mostly use it because the mobile Intel site is poo poo.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Powered Descent posted:

It all comes down to organization, on both a local and a global level. These things are planned out in advance. Lots of people fly back and forth between continents, for business or vacation or whatever, and some of those play Ingress. So they arrange through their local faction to carry a supply of keys that would be useful for megafields, and deliver them to the faction organization at the remote site. (Or carry some home in the same way.) Keys rarely go directly site-to-site, and are often handed off relay-style to get where they need to go one way or another.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was a link in the chain that led to this:

Before work one day he made a side trip to the airport, and met up with a total stranger at the baggage claim to receive a capsule full of keys from faraway lands.

(I sometimes wonder if this game isn't training us all to be international drug mules.)

I really can't imagine all the link clearing needed for the link that goes from Baja California up to Canada.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I drove an hour into the boonies (In NH this is really hard because you usually end up exiting the boonies by the time you go that far) to get to a portal that was anchor to about 8 layered fields. I accidentally went down some guys driveway and apparently blocked it while I took out the portal. He came home while I was doing this and we had a short awkward conversation about the game. Signal was okay but GPS lock was really hard to come by.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beware: win trading is against the rules, so avoid behavior that may be perceived as such. I don't know how they police it, but it would suck to get banned because a frog showed up at a smurf meet and blew up some portals.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There was a long discussion in one of the hangouts I'm in as to what constitutes win trading.
Obviously at events like anomalies and NL1331 that type of behavior is not only allowed but encouraged - why should it be banned in the wild?

What they're most likely trying to avoid is that 2 person 2 faction team that bounces off each other consistently, levels up as a pair, or people from both factions effectively leveling each other up.
I think the incidental: "I showed up at their farm, blew up some stuff, told them they could reclaim it" isn't that kind of behavior.

Being friendly to the other faction should be encouraged, it's a lot better than people pulling poo poo like this: http://youtu.be/ajcHs4z5wG8

fake edit: come to think of it - the official ingress community AND the ingress report encourage cross-faction operations. All of the "Teal field" and "cross faction field art" stuff and cross faction farms and the like.
Only an rear end in a top hat would report someone for win-trading in cases like that

Oh, I think most of the actual not cheating stuff is great. We had a similar discussion recently, but really it just take a vindictive rear end in a top hat to report stuff.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

At least the field is the right color!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you're looking for lovely portal candidates, remember that there's a Ray Kroc memorial plaque at every McDonalds.

There's a local Wendy's that somehow was accepted. No plaque, no art, just a fast food joint.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A player in a vastly outnumbered area will likely dirty hack for great to destroy farms rather than build their own. You'll probably get enough XM in a dense area to not worry about the portal defenses.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wish I had run ingress while I was walking DC more. I clocked 40 miles of walking on my pedometer which would have put me in gold trekker territory from where I am now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

grilldos posted:

How does stopping an auto-counter help that though?

Removes the incentive to submit dumb portals that are clogging the queue.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

18 days as a promising guardian gives me some perspective. I've had two hunted at 80+ days. I captured 100 portals over my time in DC (5 days), and I currently hold only one and it may actually be here somewhere in New Hampshire.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I will I had a screen shot of it but it was "Pile of rocks" that was someone's back yard.

I submitted a pile of rocks on public property and it wasn't approved. There's someone in town that placed and maintains a bunch of cairns on the side the road on places with no connection that I know of. It's actually kind of neat and most people probably wouldn't notice. I figured it was worth a try.

Also, I got my seer bronze badge with another 10 or so portals outstanding and at least one I need to appeal.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

27 responses, average wait time of 196 days. The bulk of my outstanding submissions are from August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

We got one of those locally yesterday. Something was going on with the servers.

• Locked thread