Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god. The latest chapter might be the best one yet.

I nearly died when I saw the ending, it is so perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Watamote Vol 2. is on sale tomorrow. Due to the US holiday today, it's not going to arrive until the 22nd for online orders.

There's also a new chapter out.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Latest chapter: (54)

Argh why can't they be just be friends why are you sabotaging yourself Tomoko! Oh right, I guess that would ruin the premise. :smith:
Oh well, it's nice to see more of Komiyama. Now that she met Yuu, Tomoko can't keep her out of the manga anymore. :yayclod:

On the meta spoiler:
Is that really what she said? She did the Harry Potter spoiler thing? I don't believe it. That has to be a localization.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zogundar posted:

On the meta spoiler:
Is that really what she said? She did the Harry Potter spoiler thing? I don't believe it. That has to be a localization.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 was the #1 movie in Japan for all of 2011, to the tune of $125 million.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

Deathly Hallows Part 2 was the #1 movie in Japan for all of 2011, to the tune of $125 million.

My quest to find the truth ended up getting Attack on Titan spoiled (As far as I know.) I found an alternate English translation or fake or something on a Japanese "Overseas reaction" site.

:negative:

Dammit, I should have read the manga. Who was I to think I could dodge spoilers on something for 2+ years when I couldn't even go 4 months?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Might as well read the manga then!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Zogundar posted:

Latest chapter: (54)

Argh why can't they be just be friends why are you sabotaging yourself Tomoko! Oh right, I guess that would ruin the premise. :smith:
Oh well, it's nice to see more of Komiyama. Now that she met Yuu, Tomoko can't keep her out of the manga anymore. :yayclod:
Truth be told, it's not like Tomoko's the only guilty party. Kinda neat how the relationship between the two has developed; at first glance you'd think that Tomoko and Komiyama would get along, what with them both being shy, socially awkward otakus with no self-esteem. However, the fact that they're so alike is exactly the reason they hate each other, since each girl sees the other as the personification of everything they hate about themselves. Kill your double, and all that. As much of a poo poo as Tomoko can be, we've never really seen her do anything to warrant Komiyama's level of vitriol.

Personally, I'm glad this chapter has changed up some of the dynamics. I was starting to feel the series was getting into a holding pattern (though, once again, having things never change is common for someone in Tomoko's position. Having the three of them together does have the potential to make things even more uncomfortable than they have been. That friendship with Yuu is the only relationship Tomoko has with someone outside her home, and Komiyama's the only person who has the means and motive to sabotage it. If Tomoko loses that lifeline...Christ, who knows what could happen.

Also as an aside, it's bleakly funny how Komiyama's setting herself up for heartbreak by pining after Tomoki. That is just going to end so badly.

EDIT: Just found out that Tomomote updated at the end of January and...goddamn, is Komiyama wearing Vash the Stampede's coat?

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 14, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 55 is reaaaaaally good! :allears:

Her final wish is pretty much the best and hilarious. Divine punishment indeed

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This series never disappoints. It's hard to believe, but the OVA is only 7 months away now.

It looks like Yen press has volumes 4 and 5 announced for July and October respectively. I've been enjoying their translation quite well. Volume 6 is out in Japan on the 22nd, so we'll probably get an extra chapter at the end of the month.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There's a thing up with a bunch of what-if gags too that's pretty funny.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 56 is out. There's probably a joke in there since Tomoko's VA also plays Rainbow Dash in MLP's Japanese dub

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

Dehry posted:

Chapter 56 is out. There's probably a joke in there since Tomoko's VA also plays Rainbow Dash in MLP's Japanese dub

Tomoko would be a brony.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Just raws so far?

Speaking of those, I finally found one for Chapter 54! Now I (Roughly) know what was REALLY being said.

And near as I can tell, SHE DOESN'T SPECIFY ANY PARTICULAR CHARACTER OR STORY! She more or less says "I looked it up just now and they die at the end." IT NEVER SAYS WHO "THEY" IS! YOU STUPID TRANSLATORS! I KNEW YOU WERE LYING TO ME! I KNEW IT! :unsmigghh:

And not even for a "good" localization reason where the character is reading something that would be completely unfamiliar to a Western reader. FFS. I can't believe I had AoT spoiled over this. :cripes:

Oddly enough while double checking it to make sure I had the text right I found someone on 2chan saying something about the same AoT spoiler. I wonder if the image or idea came from them.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zogundar posted:

Just raws so far?

It's a (semi?) monthly online publication. The books we get are a compilation plus an extra chapter(although those usually get scanlated)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
chapter 56: Haha, of COURSE she'd watch My Little Pony. And of course she'd overuse perfume!

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

chapter 56: Haha, of COURSE she'd watch My Little Pony.

I don't follow MLP, apart from the voice actress gag what's the joke?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zogundar posted:

I don't follow MLP, apart from the voice actress gag what's the joke?

That's all there is.

Also, Chapter 57 is up on the official site. Looks like a fun chapter. I noticed another reference to an earlier issue, hopefully they don't overdo it on the self references.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
If I watched anime what manga chapter or whatever should I start at?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd say read chapter 33 and go on from there. I listed the chapters covered in the OP, and they made it to Chapter 34, skipping 33 because they had moved up several events into summer break from winter break and it wouldn't make sense having a new year's episode in fall.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The first chapter, obviously.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tiistai posted:

The first chapter, obviously.

That too.

Speaking of which, the third volume just shipped today. The first two books went to chapter 17, so that probably means books 3&4 will cover the rest of the anime if you want an official translation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wow just read the newest spinoff chapter Tomoko finds out that Komiyama's dad died when she was young. She asks if he committed suicide right off the bat.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So reading chapter 59, and while ambiguity is all very hilarious at this point I'm about ready to just call Occam's Razor on Tomoko being gay and just too dense/confused to notice.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 60:

It's Cousin time again :getin:

E: Also, only 4 more months until the OVA.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dehry posted:

Chapter 60:

It's Cousin time again :getin:

E: Also, only 4 more months until the OVA.

Man Tomoko is always super pathetic when she is with Kii. Also she was considering beating her up but did not because she thought she could lose which is kind of horrible.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So reading chapter 59, and while ambiguity is all very hilarious at this point I'm about ready to just call Occam's Razor on Tomoko being gay and just too dense/confused to notice.

Eh, I've never really bought the lesbian interpretation. Human sexuality is weird (and this is a fictional character here), but I've always read her as mostly straight, but so terrified of social interaction that that idea of actually interacting with a boy is unthinkable. Her perving on other girls is a combination of envy, a desire for closeness, and a way of acting out her sexual desires without the risk of a man.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man Tomoko is always super pathetic when she is with Kii. Also she was considering beating her up but did not because she thought she could lose which is kind of horrible.

It was horrible, but it was understandable, considering how humiliated Tomoko was after seeing that letter. Thankfully Kii seems to have figured out how to handle her cousin.

The real tragedy of the whole thing is that Kii is literally the only person in Tomoko's life that knows something is going wrong and is actually trying to help. (Hell, even Tomoko's parents don't seem to be aware of her problems.) She's a sweet girl, but this is way beyond her abilities.

By the by, it was only after the baseball story that I finally realized that Tomoko gets hurt a lot in this series. I know it's mostly for physical comedy, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of subconscious self-harm and/or a Munchausen's Syndrome thing going on.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

By the by, it was only after the baseball story that I finally realized that Tomoko gets hurt a lot in this series. I know it's mostly for physical comedy, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of subconscious self-harm and/or a Munchausen's Syndrome thing going on.

Please don't try and diagnose anime characters with real mental illnesses.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Weak/sickly girl is a common anime trope, although I wonder if it isn't that far off reality with japanese children. It's a bit ridiculous how common just staying under the rain ends up with a kid getting hospitalized in anime and nobody bats an eye.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Isn't that sort of the whole point of the series, though?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Hey man, just be thankful I'm not trying to claim she's bulimic.

Anyway, there's been a bit of Watamote news over the last month. First of all, the North American release of the series is scheduled for August 26th. It's on DVD and Blu-Ray, and it will come with both a Japanese and an English dub. From what I've heard, Tomoko will be dubbed by Monica Rial, so she'll hopefully do a better job than the woman who did that ad. As for the OVA, I don't know if it will be included in the set, but I do know that Kotomi's gonna make an appearance.

Also, chapter 62 came out yesterday, and there are bicycles. That's the thing about this series; it's at the point when you consider a chapter "happy" just when Tomoko ends it feeling something other than humiliation and misery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Even though she was a jerk the entire time and tried to hit her cousin with a bike.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The official translation of volume 4 is supposed to be out in stores today. It still shows as preparing for shipping for me at Amazon.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yen press is owned by Hachette and they're feuding with amazon right now so your order is probably being delayed on purpose.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It shipped out at the end of the day. That explains a lot.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Chapter 63 is out. Jesus Christ, Tomoko, you're supposed to be digging yourself out of your hole, not coming up with ways to burrow in deeper.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
So chapter's 64 and 65 are also out. It's nice to see Tomoko experiencing something that could be considered happiness.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 66 is out. Not all that interesting. Isn't she getting close to graduation now?

Also, my copy of Volume 4 appears to be missing page 136, where she was thinking about how Yuu looked like a character in an h-game. All that is left is a single page which actually makes it worse than the original context.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I have no idea how high school works in Japan, but we still have third year to go. Right now, we're leading up to the class trip that we've been teased with since chapter 7.

Wonder how the last year is going to be played. With this series, anything is possible.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Isn't the last year of Japanese high school just exams and misery and no-fun-allowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, high school is three years. I just thought we were already past the second year.

• Locked thread