Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This is the best thing I've watched since Inferno Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I found the first episode quite funny, looking forward to seeing the rest of this the main characters excellent

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I really get the sense that she's the type of person that would end up posting trainwrecky stuff online that GBS would make mock threads about.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I particularly quite enjoyed how she tried to sound really cute when she spoke very weakly to people. It's a nice little touch that you wouldn't have gotten in the manga.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
This... seems like an odd duck of a show. On the one hand, it seems like a very interesting character/ cultural study, but on the other... I really don't know if I have the fortitude to sit down every week to watch some poor, lonely girl drive herself delusional every night, come up with some absurd plan to become less creepy, fail in a spectacularly mortifying manner, learn the wrong lesson from her mistakes, and then do it all over again, ad nauseum until she's some creepy cat lady in a dingy apartment. Or in a mental institute. Or dead by suicide.

But then again, I did like this episode, even though I felt bad for laughing most to fthe times I did. I suppose I'll have to see more.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
The VA takes Tomoko from weird and pitiable to downright adorable. And there's a lot of heavy sentiment for what's ostensibly a comedy. That Mel Brooks quote seems appropriate.

1st ep was good; it's definitely done on the cheap but they play around with the visual medium of anime to compensate. Some of her animations were actually kind of horrifying.

DrSunshine posted:

I really get the sense that she's the type of person that would end up posting trainwrecky stuff online that GBS would make mock threads about.

Or an E/N - A/T trainwreck (goldmine) waiting to happen. "Tell Me Why I'm Not Popular!"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was a really good adaptation of the source material. I can't wait to see the next episode. I wonder if they're going to rearrange anything for the next ones though. Chapter 5 really doesn't fit with 7,8&9.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It just sort of dawned on me that the visit from the cousin is going to be animated. I don't know if I can take that arc a second time, it was bad enough reading it.

Maybe we'll get awesome (manga spoilers)Yugioh-style dramatic cuts of Tomoko beating children at children's card games to lighten the mood a bit? At least it's something...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Is this a manga thread or an anime thread? I'm getting a bit sick of reading unmarked spoilers about the ~*original media*~

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dehry posted:

That was a really good adaptation of the source material. I can't wait to see the next episode. I wonder if they're going to rearrange anything for the next ones though. Chapter 5 really doesn't fit with 7,8&9.

They already have. Episode 1 basically comprises of Ch 1, 2 and 4. Ch 3 is where Yu is first introduced, so there'll probably be a few chapters involving Yu from later in included in the episode since they're relevant (unless they pull from the spin-off).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It has been a long, long time since I last cringed and laughed at the same time, but that WcDonalds scene was hard to watch. I wonder if this is what following a PYF trainwreck thread like the one about the girl married to anime guys is like.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

The VA takes Tomoko from weird and pitiable to downright adorable. And there's a lot of heavy sentiment for what's ostensibly a comedy. That Mel Brooks quote seems appropriate.

1st ep was good; it's definitely done on the cheap but they play around with the visual medium of anime to compensate. Some of her animations were actually kind of horrifying.

Or an E/N - A/T trainwreck (goldmine) waiting to happen. "Tell Me Why I'm Not Popular!"

What do you suppose would be the redtitle/humiliating avatar she'd invariably get? :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TK-31 posted:

I wonder if this is what following a PYF trainwreck thread like the one about the girl married to anime guys is like.

This is a thing? :psyduck:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

This is a thing? :psyduck:

Oh, is it ever a thing.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

What do you suppose would be the redtitle/humiliating avatar she'd invariably get? :v:

Ask me about meeting two young boys and becoming a peeping Tomoko

Real spoilers inside

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

I particularly quite enjoyed how she tried to sound really cute when she spoke very weakly to people. It's a nice little touch that you wouldn't have gotten in the manga.

I worked with a girl who had the same problem once. It was as if talking to people was this complicated activity and was too hard for her to both formulate the words and then utter them at the same time. I am not sure if it was intentional in the anime but I didn't get that from watching the scenes. Just a person who really can't talk with people :smith:

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Rexides posted:

I worked with a girl who had the same problem once. It was as if talking to people was this complicated activity and was too hard for her to both formulate the words and then utter them at the same time. I am not sure if it was intentional in the anime but I didn't get that from watching the scenes. Just a person who really can't talk with people :smith:

It's been mentioned before by a few posters, but this series really hits the nail on the head when it comes to portraying anxiety issues. That's kinda why I take a lot of interest in it, is because even though it gets pretty exaggerated, the situations Tomoko finds herself freaking out in are situations that I or other folks who've dealt with anxiety can relate to really well. Granted, she's got other issues that aren't exactly helping her, but yeah. :smith:

Holy poo poo though, that OP came from left field.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Super Jay Mann posted:

It just sort of dawned on me that the visit from the cousin is going to be animated. I don't know if I can take that arc a second time, it was bad enough reading it.

Maybe we'll get awesome Yugioh-style dramatic cuts of Tomoko beating children at children's card games to lighten the mood a bit? At least it's something...

Oh god that is going to be painful. I think I skipped every other page of that manga chapter and it was still a hard read.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dude, this goes way past social anxiety. Tomoko is loving pissed off at her situation and expresses her frustration in awkward and frankly kind of scary way. She has terrible hosed up views, has no concept of self-reflection, casually threatens suicide at the smallest thing, is totally clueless about simple concepts like "don't say things that could piss other people off", injects creepy sexuality into every thought she has, has really loving stupid ideas, and just sorta comes off as the typical rear end in a top hat sociopath stereotype.

This is like if being pathetic were considered a mental illness. And I guarantee you that a whoooooooooooole lot of people are exactly like her, more than you think. I'd even estimate about 10% of the population. That whole thing about people seeing themselves in her? Yeah, I'd wager that's more true than you think.

It's hilarious how hosed up she is (even if it is pretty dark), but even then I suspect the popularity of this series is cause of all the pathos and catharsis from watching her flail her way through life as opposed to "haha she's so hosed up".

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Episode 1 was quite funny, and while the animation was definitely cheap I didn't feel it affected the quality of the show at all.

Also it's funny to see some of the "difficult to watch" reactions to this show since it seems like a pretty fun comedy to me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

"IT'S YOUR OWN drat FAULT YOU'RE NOT POPULAR!"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Episode 1 was quite funny, and while the animation was definitely cheap I didn't feel it affected the quality of the show at all.

Also it's funny to see some of the "difficult to watch" reactions to this show since it seems like a pretty fun comedy to me.

It's difficult to watch for most goons because we've been there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It's hilarious how hosed up she is (even if it is pretty dark), but even then I suspect the popularity of this series is cause of all the pathos and catharsis from watching her flail her way through life as opposed to "haha she's so hosed up".

That's kind of the funny thing, for me. I guess it's because I don't have crippling social anxiety issues that I "enjoy" (for lack of a better word, perhaps "consume" would be more accurate) this series in the latter way you described, rather than by feeling any sort of sympathy for Tomoko. I guess I can't really relate to her situation, but I find it morbidly fascinating.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Dude, this goes way past social anxiety. Tomoko is loving pissed off at her situation and expresses her frustration in awkward and frankly kind of scary way. She has terrible hosed up views, has no concept of self-reflection, casually threatens suicide at the smallest thing, is totally clueless about simple concepts like "don't say things that could piss other people off", injects creepy sexuality into every thought she has, has really loving stupid ideas, and just sorta comes off as the typical rear end in a top hat sociopath stereotype.

Also known as "normal puberty".

Well, normal might be a tad subjective, but these are pretty commonly found factors in just about any teenager, albeit often expressed more internally with frustration of their predicament, imagined or not. Consider a typical "emo" in western culture and most of these things fit right in as a glove. Think furry and you have the creepy sexuality bit down.

The sad thing is that these are formative years and it is what the end result of all of this is that forms what a person one becomes after later in life, either from reflecting on this time or by making them habits and never changing them, creating a negative spiral.

Social anxiety is one of Tomoko's biggest crippling factors which hinders her other problems from solving themselves. She threatens to commit suicide because she is desperate for human interaction, because she's convinced herself that this isn't how high-school is supposed to be like, because all her life she has been told it is the highlight of her life and if she doesn't make anything of it, she will forever be a loser and this is crippling her, causing her to try to do whatever she can to break the cycle except the thing that is most uncomfortable to her.

If goons are sympathetic, it is only because a lot of cultures do the exact same thing with how they idolize certain acts of life and constantly feed you information that if you are not the very best, you are worth nothing.

Biggest culprit to social anxiety our generation are movies and the TV. (not the actual invention itself, but most often the content through it and how it shapes culture)

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

That's kind of the funny thing, for me. I guess it's because I don't have crippling social anxiety issues that I "enjoy" (for lack of a better word, perhaps "consume" would be more accurate) this series in the latter way you described, rather than by feeling any sort of sympathy for Tomoko. I guess I can't really relate to her situation, but I find it morbidly fascinating.

I too am a very social and well-adjusted person talking about anime on the internet. :cheeky:

I'm just kidding, but I think everyone, deep down, has had some awkward moments in their life where they can relate to a situation that has happened in this series. That is one of the big factors as to what makes this series as popular as it is.

After watching the first episode I don't really have much to say. It was a good adaptation, and the extra gags, like the Death Note reference, was funny.

Manga junk - Having read the manga, I am just not looking forward to the rest of the season because I really thought this story would be much more of a coming of age story, and well, it isn't. Maybe that will change but we are like 40 chapters deep now and it doesn't look like it. That is disappointing to me.

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 10, 2013

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

coreycoryecorey posted:

Manga junk - Having read the full run of the manga, I am just not looking forward to the rest of the season because I really thought this story would be much more of a coming of age story, and well, it isn't. Maybe that will change but we are like 40 chapters deep now and it doesn't look like it. That is disappointing to me.

Manga spoiler - I think it's just because her development is slower rather than just one sudden change, like whereas at first she didn't speak to anyone in her class now she speaks to that Nemo girl (2nd year introductions and dick googleing) and she communicated with the pigtail girl in chapter 42. So she probably will continue coming of age just slowly and subtly.

Lacerta
Oct 17, 2005

Baby, tonight the world belongs to you and I.
Jesus, the manga is mortifying. I'm thankful someone else is making a manga about these feelings for some poor 14 y.o. to relate to, but drat is it a tough read. If you see any of yourself in her, reading the manga will be like twisting a knife in your painful memories of highschool.

Except for her loving weird brother fetish. What's with that? :stonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pollyanna posted:

This is like if being pathetic were considered a mental illness. And I guarantee you that a whoooooooooooole lot of people are exactly like her, more than you think. I'd even estimate about 10% of the population. That whole thing about people seeing themselves in her? Yeah, I'd wager that's more true than you think.

It almost seems like they inject those particularly cartoony, almost moustache-twirlingly villainous bits and smashed-a-hall-of-mirrors bad luck chapters just to break up the cripplingly harsh reality of a lot of the things she does.

DrSunshine posted:

The manga's way more awkward-feeling. Compared to the manga, the anime's downright light-hearted.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lacerta posted:

She plays too many of the wrong kind of games.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like how the anime (at least the first episode, its all I've watched) shares the manga's sense of detachment. You don't get the sense that the author is trying to preach anything with the stories. It's almost documentarian in a way. I feel almost like every anime scene/manga chapter should end the same way:

[Tomoko is terrible]

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jalopybrown posted:

Manga spoiler - I think it's just because her development is slower rather than just one sudden change, like whereas at first she didn't speak to anyone in her class now she speaks to that Nemo girl (2nd year introductions and dick googleing) and she communicated with the pigtail girl in chapter 42. So she probably will continue coming of age just slowly and subtly.

Manga chat Honestly, this is what I'm enjoying of Watamote the most. She'll make the slightest progress and not even realize it, she'll have an epiphany of how she's supposed to do things that she later forgets because her normal habits are so much more internalized than the progress she wants to make, etc etc. It's a very slow, gradual and painful change but that honestly comes off as way more of a realistic approach to someone coming of age and trying to better themselves than media tries to make that kind of thing look.

Lacerta posted:

She doesn't actually have a brother fetish, she's just consumed so much weird anime poo poo that that's her natural frame of reference.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Man, this show is going for some obscure references right off the bat

Never would have expected to see a Bryger reference, that's for sure.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guys, this thread is supposed to be unpopular!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's You Guys' Fault This Thread Title's Not Accurate

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Goddamn this show is funny and the OP is amazing.

Silver Link are pretty hit or miss, but I think they absolutely nailed it with this one.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

God, I wish I didn't know about this thread, because it is eating up all my time now. :stare:

I need to work dammit.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I just caught the first episode and could not stop giggling at the Death Note style "research".

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Man, this show is going for some obscure references right off the bat

Never would have expected to see a Bryger reference, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YxRG-52T4

Everything game/manga related in the show is a parody of something. Square-Enix loves to reference real life things in their manga. IIRC The soccer game poster was a Pro Evolution Soccer parody and her brother was reading an Inazuma Eleven comic in a large comics magazine like Corocoro.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 12, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I went into this knowing nothing other than that it was a comedy... That was certainly something. Equal parts hilarity and pity, which I guess is what they were going for. But wow, it goes pretty drat dark. The scene where she threatened her brother with suicide, for instance, I have no idea whether that was meant to be a serious threat or blackmail, but either way, it's twisted in a way that most 'comedies' wouldn't touch.

Probably my anime of the season, thus far. I'm just hoping they can keep up this level of quality and nuance, rather than just turn it into only 'lets laugh at the broken kid' or transition into a pure series of vignettes about mental illness. I think the balance between the two is what appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

CottonWolf posted:

The scene where she threatened her brother with suicide, for instance, I have no idea whether that was meant to be a serious threat or blackmail, but either way, it's twisted in a way that most 'comedies' wouldn't touch.
What struck me most about that scene was the brother's reaction. It wasn't shock or concern, just, "not this poo poo again", as if he's put up with these threats so much that he just doesn't react to them, which really hit home how hosed-up our main character is.

• Locked thread