Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
High school in Japan dictates college in Japan, which dictates the rest of your life in Japan. As an individual, your life really does end once you hit the workforce.

That's the general sentiment of those who manage to sidestep that life. Uni is a piss break between high school and real life; it's seen as more a status symbol/key to getting a good job than an actual experience to be treasured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

That is chuuni as balls. :10bux: says there's a Madoka Magica nicovid of it before the month is up.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

The VA takes Tomoko from weird and pitiable to downright adorable. And there's a lot of heavy sentiment for what's ostensibly a comedy. That Mel Brooks quote seems appropriate.

1st ep was good; it's definitely done on the cheap but they play around with the visual medium of anime to compensate. Some of her animations were actually kind of horrifying.

DrSunshine posted:

I really get the sense that she's the type of person that would end up posting trainwrecky stuff online that GBS would make mock threads about.

Or an E/N - A/T trainwreck (goldmine) waiting to happen. "Tell Me Why I'm Not Popular!"

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Remember Mel Brooks' definition of comedy. This isn't that serious of a work.

I've been a social outcast and have had/am having social anxiety issues. Kuroko is still funny because she has these things, but turned to 11 and played for comedic effect. You are supposed to pity here because she's small and cute in a frumpy way and you see yourself in her more than you'd like to admit if you post here and sometimes life just shits on her, but the joke is that she reacts to stimuli in completely bonkers ways even without the social anxiety. The social anxiety things have a kernel of truth, but are played to extremes.

She is not a normal person; her neuroses have made her a clown.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, that's one of my problems with the anime compared to the manga. I always read her imagining her speaking with this sort of quasi-guttural moan/creaky voice. Like she's always got a terrible cold or something.

That's what those Ring/Ju-on vengeful ghost girls sound like. She's not a vengeful Japanese girl ghost, she just looks like one. :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

I hate you guys. I watched the first episode completely missing the entire point of this character and this show and had a good time. I wasn't aware she had social anxiety to this point until I read this thread. Now watching this second episode nearly every little detail of her life made me depressed.

She doesn't. Goons with social anxiety issues are just projecting.

Captain Invictus posted:

I challenge you to eat double what you're normally used to eating in a single sitting, then run around and not throw up.

Challenge accepted :burger:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well sympathy isn't the same thing as empathy. It's quite possible to empathize with her without condoning her actions or thinking she's pitiable. We're all human after all. She's an unpleasant person but then she's also a teenager, and teenagers are by default unpleasant people.

I think it's funny how divisive she is with some imagining her as some misunderstood special snowflake who's a helpless victim of anxiety in a cold uncaring world while others imagine her as a hateful misanthrope who deserves all the bad things that happen to her. The truth, of course, is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

The middle ground doesn't exist on the Internet. And some Goons identify with her, some don't, some probably do and don't like that they do, some just want to watch the awkward girl be perverted and weird for comedic effect.

I am really enjoying Silver Link's artistic flourishes, especially the "Just kill me now" Picassoface.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I watch this show because of the thrill I get in seeing the sheer amount of angst and ressentiment that emanates from Tomoko like a malignant cloud; I've never seen such a hateful person in a slice of life anime. It's like Catcher in the Rye for otaku teenagers. She's such a disturbed and broken individual! It always feels like at any moment she is on the verge of just flipping out and strangling someone.

You should watch Aku no Hana.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Zetsubou posted:

Also forgot about this blatant Animal Crossing reference.

Also Mr. Driller and Jason.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

^ So, was it the thing with the panties, or...

Anybody else catch that in the very beginning she's thumbing past adverts for her own show and merchandise with her face?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Seriously, what's up with that? I take it that's not an original part of the show because it reliably creeps me out the most every time.

The fanart theater at the end of the credits is a pretty well-established thing now.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

I think it's hilarious [and deeply unpleasant] that her thoughts when around Yuu are almost always creepily sexual in nature.

In the manga translations, Tomoko refers to Yuu as a slut/bitch in her own head. A lot.

The only parts that are pandering in WataMote are the ending art pictures; lenses and context are a reflection of the viewer.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Zettace posted:

The ending theme was amazing. It's one of those references only Japanese people would get so here's what it's based on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv8NEA6-gRY

It's the ending theme of an old children's television series.

This outro is paid homage to in DBZ too, with Gohan doing the walk.

This episode was a treasure trove of reaction faces. I love Silver Link having Tomoko go Cubist to show maximum awkwardness.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

I was gonna say Lars von Trier.

Harmony Korine.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

This thread's chased its tail over self-identification with Tomoko and her goony goony Goonettery several times but ahahah Kotaku.

e: I don't care if that's not what they were going for, but the shot right after Tomoko's mom gives up looks like an homage to that scene in EoE

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 22, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

This is why when you're trying to impress your younger siblings, you do it in ways that are hard to disprove. And don't get caught, of course.

But hey, Tomoko's popular with little kids.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

She's not a sociopath. Where did you get that idea?

She's just a comically selfish, childish, pitiful, immature, bitter, socially broken, petty, foolish, delusional, paranoid, obsessed shut-in.

You could've just called her a tumblr user and been done with it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Zettace posted:

At a glace there's an error. The portion of the song where she talks to the mirror is more negative than what's translated.

It's closer to:
Mirror mirror on the wall, do you wanna shatter and fall?
Unwanted, you're unwanted
Mirror mirror on the wall, you don't have to say it at all!
I pretend to not hear you
You never reflect my beautiful inner self
That's just in your head, it's all in your head
It's always this unappealing side of me
Face the truth

Japanese is weird with implied subjects, so it's either the mirror saying "I [the mirror] don't want it [to deal with your poo poo, Tomoko], stop it, I don't want it" or "Nobody wants [Tomoko], stop it, you're unwanted". From the call and response, it seems like the mirror is referring to itself as a Greek chorus. It could go either way, really.

And "I pretend not to hear you" doesn't make sense as a response given Tomoko's line, while "You won't listen anyway" does.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Watamote is a comedy, not a drama. Characters stay mostly stagnant unless they need to change for a gag. Tomoko's inept weirdness is supposed to be amusing either because it hits home or as schadenfreude. Sometimes both.

It's okay to think she's awful. It's okay to think she's not. As long as you're laughing.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

No, yeah, it was most definitely a reference to the Airmaster ending credits, with the main character making a rather panicked expression and Yuu's egregious boob bounce.

If they get a second season, Maximum The Hormone should totally do the credits.

And the sketchy, silhouette style of the town. Case in point.

Watamote is one of God's own originals: too weird to live and too rare to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

The most interesting thing about that is Japan giving a poo poo about a series' popularity in non-Japan markets outside of "huh, that's a thing".

• Locked thread