Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
Look in the yellow pages or an electronic equivalent for metal recycling places. They will frequently save large/useful chunks of scrap and offer them for sale at just over what they would get sending it off to a foundry. There's a place I go that offers aluminum at ~$1/lb and I've seen 3'x3' precision ground .5" plate, 3-6" diameter round stock, and all sorts of interesting things in their save pile. Most of the stuff is 2-3' long at the largest, but it is absolutely worth the few minutes of calling around if you hit a place that has a decent stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
Brass makes my favorite shop glitter.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
We have APSX's injection molder and for a teaching environment it is great!
The swiss lathe looks like a far better deal than the tormach lathe we have only barely gotten to do things (No tailstock, seriously?).

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

A lathe with no tail stock is shameful, is the bed super short or something? Does it come with steady rests?

It is a CNC lathe so it isn't unheard of, but it is pretty terrible. It lacks the rigidity to do much of anything--a .100 depth of cut in 6061 with appropriate speeds/feeds/tooling caused it to bog down, probably because it seems to have way more flex than any similarly-sized lathe I've ever used. Free taper with every cut!

https://tormach.com/machines/lathes/15l-slant-pro-lathe.html

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I'd strongly consider taking a manual machining class or two at the community college if they offer that, possibly over taking the woodworking versions. Going from metal to wood is mush simpler than the other way around, in my experience.
Having some machining as a foundation has been immensely helpful for my ability to teach kids on all sorts of shop class type projects (I teach at university level, but even for high school it is going to be useful). Being at the community college you might even pick up a donated CNC machine--we see one or two a year from people who have gotten it, found it to be harder to manage than they expected, and drop it off to "see if the students can make something with it."