Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I have a weird shaped table and so need a custom bracket plate. It's basically just a metal rectangle on half inch steel, with some holes drilled, and a 90 degree horizontal fold half way down.

I was thinking about buying a 1-off cnc job for it, what program would people recommend for basic programs to put something together that I could send to a company? Most of them seem to cost 2k+ and sadly I am not a student.

I mean, or I could buy my first drill press and router and start down the slippery slope...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's for a monitor arm stand, so it potentially has to hold a good amount of weight in a reasonably small area. I got my calipers that I bought for this out and turns out that the part I want to recreate but bigger is actually quarter-inch, NOT half-inch and I'm just bad at estimating sizes from memory.

Doing it myself with a grinder and a drill press is probably absolutely possible too, but seems easier and cheaper overall to just get it made once instead of buying a bunch of gear.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Oh I forgot you could just do this locally. I guess I was biased by e.g. internet based PCB manufacturing. Yeah that's 1000% easier.

HolHorsejob posted:

So something like a 6x6 or 8x8 steel plate with a pattern of holes drilled into it, bolted to a tabletop? If it were me, I'd use probably 12-14 gauge steel, mark everything out with calipers, and do everything with a hand drill, angle grinder, and a few cheap hand files to debur and clean up the edges. If I had more projects lined up and thought I'd realistically get use out of them, I'd get a drill press and bench grinder.

I don't know much about getting small jobs done by a shop, but it sounds like it'd either be too expensive to be worth your while, or too cheap to be worth their while.

The main thing stopping me from doing this is that I'd also need a bender, or machine from a 6x6x6 inch block and grind away 5.75x5.75x6 inches of it.

edit: there's a place near me that specifies barbecue grills as something they specifically do, so this doesn't really sound too small for them. 1 man with welder is the kind of level I was looking for.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 15, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Let me just get my napkin

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Here I whipped out the virtual equivalent of a napkin, and also the best cad software on my computer:

There's a pretty big skirt on the edge of my table, I have been totally unable to find any monitor clamp that would fit around it, and I'm not drilling a hole into my table for this.

The top part that was provided with the clamp seems mostly fine, it has a vertical line of 4 nut and bolt holes to secure the two together.

e: actually maybe I want the top bit bigger, to put the axis of the actual stand inline with the clamp on the bottom

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 16, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If you want your CNC to cut metal, I feel like you'd be better off getting ahold of a small lathe first (which you might be able to get locally) and then use that to make the CNC metal parts.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Qubee posted:

Purely wanting CNC for woodwork only, and primarily MDF carvings. Nothing hard, and definitely not metal. And yeah, I figured building my own would really help me understand it, and it won't break the bank.

Still you will absolutely want your core axes to be metal rods no matter what else you make the rest out of (like they do in that guide).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Where does freeCad sit on this? I'm pretty sick of cloud based cad now tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If you get ribbons do not put your fingers ANYWHERE near them until everything has stopped spinning. It apparently has a pretty high accident rate.