Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys,

I'm building a small-ish CNC to do PCB milling since I absolutely loathe working with PCB chemicals.

Is there a good guide to picking a diameter for a certain length of linear rail so it minimizes flexing along the rail's length? I'm planning on having a stationary gantry supporting the head and having my work surface moving on one axis, but that obviously presents some problems if the rails will exceed X length, being supported only on either end.

I haven't really worked out any dimensions yet, I'm just at the planning stage. DIY CNCs are literally everywhere on the web, but the problem is that there's almost TOO much information leading to overload paralysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like some weird resonance in one of the axes but nothing terrible. The vacuum pump is much more annoying :(

Neat idea in theory, but too slow to be really useful IMHO. I can place parts by hand a little* faster than that.

* a lot

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a decent, cheap CNC stepper driver board that will work with Mach3 or LinuxCNC? I'm kind of working on making one myself and I realized I just don't have the time to layout and design a driver board. I'd rather pay someone $50 or $75 or something and just get a 3 axis controller. The cheaper the better, but whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is this the thread where I'd ask my Fusion360 newbie questions or is there a thread more suited to that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is probably something really really basic, but when I watch YouTube videos on F360 and someone starts a new sketch on a plane, the whole viewport swoops around and makes that plane the top-down view.

When I start a sketch on a plane my viewport does nothing. It just stays fixed in the same ortho view as it was before. I'll be damned if I can find a setting to change this but I probably just missed it. Any suggestions?

It's not SUPER annoying because I can just click on the tilt-a-ball at the top right to focus on that plane but it would be cool if it happened automagically since there's really never a time I want to stay in ortho view when I'm sketching on a plane.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, yeah, it's checked for me but it works about 0% of the time.

Maybe if I uncheck and re-check it will click.

Also I'm gonna be real frank. The Mac version appears to be so completely unoptimized that it's driving me bonkers. I'm on a near top of the line i7 MacBook Pro and when I import an SVG, with admittedly a fair amount of points, as a sketch to extrude it literally spins for 20-30 seconds at a time when I hit any action hotkeys. I just loaded it up on my lovely old five year old i5 Windows PC and it's much more manageable :sigh:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 21, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's not really out of the ordinary for Mac apps so I'm not terribly surprised, just annoyed :haw:

Another Fusion question. I'm designing a cookie cutter, the base of which is an SVG I'm importing as a sketch. I want to create the outer part that slices the dough to size so I offset the inner design by 5mm to be the inner wall of the "cutter", then I want to create the outer wall:

1. If I try to offset the offset, that is apparently something I'm not allowed to do.
2. If I offset the outside of the design to create the outer edge, that works but then .. and apologies, I don't know the Fusion term for what I'm building here .. the two offsets are just their own thing and don't form any kind of object that I can then extrude up.

Super crude sketch of what I'm trying to do:

e: Oh sorry I forgot to ask an actual question. Given an SVG sketch with a discrete outer "edge" that I can offset off, how would I go about building an outside "shell" that I can then extrude up which is offset by 5mm from the sketch itself, which follows the contours of the sketch? I know my little doodle above is just a circle but the SVG itself is more complex.

e2: Wait, no, this time it worked? The two offset edges created an extrudable profile. I swear it wasn't working earlier. Hmm, ok maybe PEBCAK.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 22, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

5mm is pretty thick for a cookie cutter unless you're planning to bevel the edge fyi

That's what I'm fighting with right now. I want it a little thicker since I have to print it in SLA.

I ended up separating the cutter into two peices -- the actual form cutter and a separate embosser. I realized I'd never be able to get the dough out if I left it in one piece.

Here is the cutter, the only real part I'm having trouble with now.

It would be great if I stumbled on some operation that let me select the inside body edges of the cutter and let me raise them by 1 or 2mm, but retain the connection to the outside, essentially creating a triangular slope from the inner edge down to the outer edge, more of a "cutting" surface". Bevel tool seems to only be throwing errors. My fallback is just to offset the inside edge and extrude it up as a 1 or 2mm body so the main support is 5mm but the actual cutting edge is smaller.

Sorry if I'm being extremely obtuse about this, I bit off a bit more than I can chew in trying to get these done quickly without learning enough about the tool. It's like jumping into the deep end and hoping to swim.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So the way I'd do this in fusion is a set of multiple extrudes. Extrude EVERYTHING up to get a big round disc. Then your first one is extruded up from the base of your disc (mode:cut), then your shape extruded down from the center of the cutout (mode:join).

When doing SVGs, I've found it easiest the saved for "stroke as path" so you have all outlines to extrude, instead of just raw circles. You're left with a bunch of stair-step (wedding-cake) lines in your extrudes, which you can then throw draft/bevel/chamfer on to get edges.

Definitely taking notes on this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys rock, if you're ever in the Toronto/Hamilton area cookies are on me!

Sagebrush posted:

okay well that took a lot longer than anticipated because turns out Windows Game Recorder thing doesn't record any menus or popup windows lol.

here is a quick video of the technique. sorry about the resolution, i think something in OBS was set wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQrNaBzpClM

drat, this makes perfect sense and I think I'll try this right now with the existing model.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just tried and I think I might be running into some niche issues. Did me a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwjRThZILzE

Pardon the long stretches of nothing happening; It doesn't come across in the video but on my screen it's actually where my Fusion360 goes unresponsive because it's thinking.

As you can see, I manage to offset the base design and then I'm left with a series of spline curves. Is this the intended result? I didn't continue the recording but after I extrude the only way to relocate the offset curve up was to select each individual spline in series. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything clearly wrong so far before I went down the path of lofting.

Since individually selecting these splines is figuratively taking years off my life I'll ask the question here first: Based on what you see here, should I be able to loft what I've generated? Or am I somehow generating something which won't play nice with the loft tool? Noncommittal, just curious about opinions.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 22, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds good, thanks a ton for the advice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is just a post to say

I treasure you all every day

Thanks again gang, I made headway with the loft and I think I got it working how I like. Will post some results once I get a few minutes to finish up!