Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

I keep trying to find a machine shop that will let me dig through their scraps but this is SF and apparently there are no machine shops?!?

We found multiple companies going through our trash. Not just people looking for recycleables, other professionals with office space nearby. If someone called up asking about trash pretty sure we'd deny having a machine shop too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Wouldn't the mounting features be underneath the VHB? Can you remove that and check?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:allears: Is there a "how is this made" thread full of this discussion? I would read such a thread.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

edmund745 posted:

The arduino wouldn't have any timing issues since it is a single-process environment. And even if the PC wasn't ready to immediately send another line segment, the arduino would just be holding all the axis still anyway. You could even have "pull-back" instructions, so the arduino would pull the cutter (say) .001" off the part, so it wouldn't leave a tool mark...

I cannot imagine why the companies involved with this sort of thing would think that sending every-single-motor-pulse would be a good idea. Do they still do this?

Zooming out from the software stacks for a second, you seem to have a lot of faith in a $0.32 chip's ability to keep a regular clock with an onboard VLO and very little faith in something regularly counting out nanoseconds.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
For simple icons laser cutting an outline is probably sufficient.

The most generic label I'd put on it would be "light pipes". Here's an in-depth presentation on them. They can be horribly complex, like in the most recent Nest there's some amazing light pipe work. 5 LED's are inside, there's a clear plastic shell with cuts that prevent the light from going straight out and creating a hot spot, it forces the light to reflect around internally and provide an even glow in a full ring. Then for taking light in there's some IR transparent fresnel lenses. Some poor ME with a specialized tool agonized over those for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is any of Autodesk's Pier 9 stuff publicly accessible? I visited a company there for an interview, neat stuff back there.