Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
gently caress yeah! Especially gulls, pigeons and owls. Keeping me up all night with their shrieks and hoots. Also, gulls who attack you all the time when you're 100 meters away from their nest. Crazy fuckers.

- People who use bad grammar, know it and don't want to do anything about it, because hey, you understand it, right? Also, bad grammar in commercials, official letters and letters from school / work. And in newspapers. Don't they have people that proof read what they write? It's so infuriating I just want to phone up the journalist and shout at them.

- Kids that get engaged to their first bf/gf when they're 15, because they love each other so much.

- People who tell me to cheer up if I don't wear a big loving grin all over my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I hate people not leaving the room to talk on their cell phone. Like, if they're ordering a pizza or something, that's one thing, but an ongoing conversation is the worst. It means everyone else in the room has to now be quiet and quit what they were doing and wait for the person to finish their call.

I have stood outside in subzero temperatures to avoid being the rude rear end in a top hat who makes everyone be quiet because I can't be bothered to move.

Edit: Also when people comment on my "accent." I have a speech impediment and when I meet a new person they always ask me where I'm from and if I'm British. I don't even sound vaguely British, what are they talking about? :(

ThatPazuzu has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Jul 7, 2013

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

People who just kill harmless spiders/moths/insects/etc rather than put them outside.

This. I absolutely hate it when someone sees a spider and yells "Kill it!" Is it really that hard to just catch it in a cup and put it outside. :(

- When people say "kiwi bird". I only ever see it online but it really annoys me. The birds are called kiwis, the fruit are called kiwifruit. Not the other way around. :argh:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I am OK posted:

I dunno I guess that most people like to inject a bit of flow and character into their communication rather than exchanging binary streams like some terrible sperg.

This is the pet peeves thread, friend. Wanting a concise answer to something instead of spouting a lot of superfluous "flow and character," especially when dealing with time (which is almost always important for most people since, you know, we live our lives by it) is not being a "terrible sperg," "sperging out," or any variation thereof. It's a legitimate complaint and pet peeve to just want the literal time when you don't have very much of it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
The only one I can think of is when people leave cupboards open. I don't know why it has always bothered me.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DicktheCat posted:

No offense, but that's very odd to me. It's okay, it's your pet peeve and that's fine. I myself would just take it the same as someone saying "Oh, what pretty eyes you have!" (I think it may be a strange idea to me because I'm only like 5'3" so not many people comment on my height.)

It gets really old. When I worked as a cashier, every single day at least three people would ask me if I play basketball. At least one classmate in every class I take asks me if I play basketball. I cannot meet a person without them asking me if I loving play basketball. I don't even like basketball.

It gets to the point where it feels like the only thing people notice about me is that I'm very tall. I can only remember one time in my adult life when someone commented on my appearance and it wasn't related to my height. Man, even if someone said "Jesus Christ, who beat you with the ugly stick?" I would be less upset than if they said "Wow, you're so tall! Do you play basketball?"

Mayorofunkytown
Jul 28, 2006
No graham crackers
Lazy people who just don't give a gently caress about their job and want others to do everything. If you don't like it and aren't gonna do it right then find somewhere else to work.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bloopsy posted:

The only one I can think of is when people leave cupboards open. I don't know why it has always bothered me.

I hate it when people leave the cupholder out in my car if there's no cup in it :shrug:

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Here are my pet peeves:

- People who talk or text on their cell phones.
- Anything that the other drivers do while I'm driving.
- Fake people.

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

People who comment on my height.

I'm 6'6", and I've had people ask me "How tall are you?" "Do you play basketball?" "Is your whole family tall?" "How old are you, are you done growing yet?" etc. more times than I could count. Just because being tall is considered a positive trait doesn't mean pointing my height out unprovoked isn't rude and obnoxious!

Sup, 6'5" goon here. There's also "How's the weather up there?"; the king of unoriginal and unfunny height related jokes. That said I don't really mind when people comment on my height as they're usually trying to be nice, just in a pretty unoriginal way.

My pet peeve: people who correct others over things that are ultimately trivial. People generally resent being corrected, so why bother making a fuss unless it's serious?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I fly a lot. I am sitting in an airport terminal right now as I type this. Here's a list of my flying peeves:

• People who, upon reaching their seat, take more than 30 seconds to get their bag in the bin and their rear end in their seat. It's not like you weren't sitting at the gate for at least 30 minutes, during which you should've had time to get your poo poo out of your bag.
  • People who can't read a number and a letter and match the corresponding letter and number (with a goddamn picture) on the aircraft and sit in the wrong seat. Then they get all flustered when the rightful owner of the seat comes along. Related: when a group of people are flying together and they stand in the aisle blocking everyone else while they hem and haw about who gets which seat. Just. Sit. Your. rear end. Down. I came very close to yelling at a group of people for this once, I would have if I wasn't flying with my boss and a huge client on business.
  • People who don't use headphones. Doubly so for parents who hand their children each an iPad with the volume cranked and have them play the most irritating sounding game for the entirety of a flight that departs at 7 AM
  • People who get an aisle seat, then put their tray table down and use it to take a nap effectively trapping their row-mates in their seats for the duration of the flight
  • When the flight attendants make the announcement that we are landing so everyone needs to sit down and buckle their seatbelts, there's always those people who immediately need to get up and rummage around in their bags in the overhead bins. What is so important that you need it NOW and can't possibly live without it for the next 20 minutes but could live without for the rest of the flight?
  • Turning the screen off on your phone does not constitute shutting it off. Have fun with your dead battery when you land! I honestly believe some people don't even know iPhones can be turned off.
  • People who decide they need to put their shoes on IMMEDIATELY as soon as they get their stuff back at security. Grab your shoes and walk over to the handy benches for that express purpose and stop blocking everyone else.
  • People who whip out the neck pillow, blankets, and a giant box of snacks for a 90 minute flight. I get settling in and being comfy for a longer flight (ie 4 hours and longer) but I think you can be a grow up and deal with sitting in a seat for 90 minutes without turning it into your living room.
  • People who are sitting in a window seat at the very back of the plane who get up as soon as the plane gets to the gate and do that awkward hunched under the bag bins position for 10-15 minutes. Sit down and wait your turn.
  • People who get all bothered and shoot mean looks at the flight attendants when asked to put their seats in the upright position for landing. Hey fuckface, that's the position they're crash tested in, I'm sure your comfort is worth decapitating the poor schmuck sitting behind you in the event of a crash!

And some non-flying pet peeves:
  • I AM NOT AN INTERIOR DESIGNER. My job deals with designing interiors, yes. This does not make me an interior designer. I design furniture, I don't give a poo poo what color it is, or what color of room it goes in. . No I won't help you pick out paint colors for your house unless you want to pay me for it. I get that no one knows what industrial design is, but after I've been at the company for a year and corrected everyone dozens of times and STILL get introduced as an interior designer it really gets under my skin.
  • I AM NOT AN ENGINEER EITHER. It's a lovely feeling when no one in your office knows what you do apart from like 3 people.
  • People who stop the microwave with 3 seconds left and just leave 0:03 on the display.
  • Grammar mistakes in things that should have been thoroughly proofread. I've been hiring vendors for my wedding and I've counted some of them out because of grammar mistakes on their websites. Not like "oh god a dangling participle! What an uncultured heathen!" Basic stuff, like they're/there/their and your/you're. You can't even double check your website for mistakes, I don't trust you won't also double check anything else.
  • Radio stations that insert their name into songs. I'M LOOKING AT YOU SIRIUS HITS1 OH MY GOD THAT IS SO ANNOYING STOP IT.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
When somebody on the internet uses the word 'whilst' or 'fortnight' and every American suddenly loses their poo poo.

We still use those words in the other English-speaking countries, guys. It might be an insufferable nerd thing in the US but not everybody on the internet is American.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My biggest pet peeve is when people (mis)use jargon in any setting. It's really obvious when people are just kind of throwing terms around in an effort to appear educated or knowledgeable, instead of thinking critically and phrasing things in their own words.

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007
People who sarcastically tell me 'You look way too excited to be here' when I'm at work or some other situation that isn't particularly exciting. My 'normal' expression is pretty depressed looking I suppose and I generally have a pretty neutral attitude but it bugs me that now I feel obligated to perk up and explain myself to this person I've met twice in my life because he/she's decided I don't look very happy. It drains me of some weird sort of social energy and I hate doing it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Airplane stuff.

As someone that used to fly a lot, I can agree with almost every item on that list, especially the one about people coming to a 90min flight with enough poo poo for a sleepover, but you missed a good one.

- the rear end in a top hat that decides to wait until they are on the plane to open up a loving Subway sandwich that reeks of pickles and onions. I saw you buy that drat thing almost an hour ago. Why didn't you eat it before you got on the plane? Now this tube that we're sealed into is circulating your awful Subway smell.

One more for fun:

- hearing the same tired and lame jokes thrown into the safety announcements from flight attendants (I'm looking at you SouthWest Airlines). Also, nobody gives a poo poo if it is someone's birthday on the flight. I'm really glad I don't fly 4-6 times a month anymore.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

[*]People who stop the microwave with 3 seconds left and just leave 0:03 on the display.

Haha that's a good one.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I have a peeve of mere acquaintances who believe it not just acceptable but a brilliant idea to ask you to reveal the intimates of your life to them because they perceive it as colloquial. It usually starts with mingling small talk and the question,

"So, what have you been up to?" or something quite similar.

"Well, my gainful employment is this and that, and my love life is that and the other. Oh, my family is doing one way and a second. Hey, thanks for asking!" is what I and so many others are forced to sound-out from the grinding of our teeth and clenching of our fists but there is only one real answer to the inquiry and the senseless nothings who ask: "Turn the gently caress away right now and don't ever open your cock sucker to me again unless I speak to you first," or something similar.

What really exacerbates it is the asker almost never having any actual interest in the asked, doing it as a pity exchange where they feel like a charity worker for making as though they have an interest in their fellow man, and no fewer of them use that information not to inform themselves to who and what you are but to be busybodies with other gossips who can then sit there and dissect others without the first lick of context to any of it. Trash. I want health and happiness for those I want it for, but the moment the details of any of that becomes important or interesting to me is the moment I start gun shopping.

SecretCervix
Jun 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

People who walk into a building or gated area and then stop dead in their tracks to figure out where to go next.

You wouldn't drive into a town, come to a sudden stop in the middle of the road, and then stay right where you are until you figure out where you need to go.

I will never understand this and I see it every single day. It's ok, the people stuck behind your lost rear end have nothing better to do than wait for you to get your bearings.

I work at a place that has a long driveway leading up to a building with two arches you drive through to enter. I am frequently tasked with standing by the arches, greeting people and seeing if they need any help.

Now, here in the U. S., we drive on the right side of the road. So it would be a safe assumption that to drive through the arches you'd drive through the right one, as the left one would, based on how the world is outside, be for traffic travelling in the opposite direction. No. I have to stop at least 10 cars a day from driving through the left arch and plowing into oncoming traffic. If we didn't have that long driveway where I could see the silly geese moving towards the left arch, there would be no time to stop them and there would be an accident. The multiple signs that say KEEP RIGHT might as well be in Martian. Many times a line of cars will come through the right arch and one will swerve off and try to go through the left one like it's a VIP entrance or something.

It's also given me a nasty habit of snapping my fingers at these jerks to get their attention, as for some reason yelling and waving my arms like a lunatic doesn't work. I don't want to do that, but for God's sake, pay attention!

Gee, that felt pretty good.

The HOtel
Nov 12, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

People who, upon reaching their seat, take more than 30 seconds to get their bag in the bin and their rear end in their seat. It's not like you weren't sitting at the gate for at least 30 minutes, during which you should've had time to get your poo poo out of your bag.

To be fair to those people, some airlines have a policy where you can't board unless everything is in your bag. The only time I caused a childish scene at an airport was because I was refused entry because I had a couple of magazines out already. "I'm just going to get them out again in five seconds when I sit down!!! Just let me board!!!"

My pet peeve is screen addiction. Some of my friends have even gone so far as being on their cell phone and tablet at the same time. If you don't want to hang out with me, just tell me. :(

Also, beer snobs. Can't I have just one Bud Light with lime in peace? You don't have to explain "real beer" to me, when all I want is a Bud Light right now. It's not like I don't understand and I'm a big ol' simpleton who don't know no better. I work in the beverage industry! I am fully aware of my options!

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

soapgish posted:

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a peeve of mere acquaintances who believe it not just acceptable but a brilliant idea to ask you to reveal the intimates of your life to them because they perceive it as colloquial. It usually starts with mingling small talk and the question,

"So, what have you been up to?" or something quite similar.

"Well, my gainful employment is this and that, and my love life is that and the other. Oh, my family is doing one way and a second. Hey, thanks for asking!" is what I and so many others are forced to sound-out from the grinding of our teeth and clenching of our fists but there is only one real answer to the inquiry and the senseless nothings who ask: "Turn the gently caress away right now and don't ever open your cock sucker to me again unless I speak to you first," or something similar.

What really exacerbates it is the asker almost never having any actual interest in the asked, doing it as a pity exchange where they feel like a charity worker for making as though they have an interest in their fellow man, and no fewer of them use that information not to inform themselves to who and what you are but to be busybodies with other gossips who can then sit there and dissect others without the first lick of context to any of it. Trash. I want health and happiness for those I want it for, but the moment the details of any of that becomes important or interesting to me is the moment I start gun shopping.

My pet peeve is my crippling autism too.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Laverna posted:

This. I absolutely hate it when someone sees a spider and yells "Kill it!" Is it really that hard to just catch it in a cup and put it outside. :(

I kill them on sight because I am sick of walking into their webs that they string up in front of doors and across railings. God drat them.

e: jumping spiders are ok though

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mogambo posted:

My pet peeve is my crippling autism too.

Not trying to be overly nice about it, but you'd never know! It fits you like a dental dam, sister.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Trying to deal with people who insist on making everything a philosophy debate. A friend of mine has an autistic daughter, and she recently found My Little Pony on Youtube. I warned him about bronies, and the friend went off on this tangent about how we perceive normal and this and this and this. NO YOU FUCKER, I AM TRYING TO WARN YOU SO YOUR DAUGHTER DOESN'T COME ACROSS PONY loving PORN.

I don't give a poo poo what bronies or furries do as long as it is between consenting adults, and posting loving clopping stories or pictures where kids see it (because it's right next to the usual pony stuff), as a parent, you need to be aware of it! And that bronies exist, because they aren't 10 year olds like your daughter, they are 20-50 year old men!

When my cat eats so much food that she backs away from the dish and throws it all up seconds later. And usually goes back for more.

Volunteering your time somewhere, and the place makes you feel lovely if you can't come in and cover a shift or help out on short notice.

Weird loving baby names so your kid becomes a unique snowflake. I don't mean poo poo like ethnic or regional names. I mean poo poo like Banksy. My friend's sister-in-law just had a boy, and his name is Banksy Duchamp.

Summer hours in places like colleges, where you need paperwork for, say, a job interview, and the hours are so short and days closed here and there that you can't get your poo poo unless you plan a week ahead.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

People using autism or that matter any developmental disability as an insult or slur.

When certain buildings have their heating on in the summer, so much so that it is actually cool and refreshing to stand in the direct sunlight without a breeze rather than be inside.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

If people leave cushions on the floor in a living room, especially if they're within my field of view while focusing on something else eg. TV, talking to someone.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

People who get into elevators, trains, before letting people off first.

Another one is when people try to talk to me when I have headphones on listening to music, especially while walking the dogs. If I have to take off my headphones because you're trying to ask me something, I am going to be annoyed.

Drivers not using their turn signals.

The whole ignore a message as a response. Really people? It's sad that common courtesy has died with the "internet age". If I shoot you a text about hanging out, and you can't, just let me know. No big deal. But don't keep me in limbo or hanging like that.

Piggybacking on that, people who cancel plans at the last minute repeatedly. I've stopped being friends with people who did this. Especially when they are the ones that are always making the plans in the first place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that clip their nails on the train. I've seen this more than once.

People that hog the escalator and don't get out of the way. If you're not in a hurry then just stay on the right side and let others past you. rear end in a top hat.

Tourists that come to this city and then go straight to Hard Rock Cafe or Alcatraz or some other lovely place that no locals care about.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

This is the pet peeves thread, friend. Wanting a concise answer to something instead of spouting a lot of superfluous "flow and character," especially when dealing with time (which is almost always important for most people since, you know, we live our lives by it) is not being a "terrible sperg," "sperging out," or any variation thereof. It's a legitimate complaint and pet peeve to just want the literal time when you don't have very much of it.

You're requesting another person to take time out of their busy lives in order to provide you with a favor and then being ungrateful when the result is not delivered to your exacting and arbitrary standards.

It takes maybe a second longer for someone to say "a quarter past six" than it does "six fifth-teen". If that delay really irked you that much, why didn't you invest in a watch?

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
When people say veggies instead of vegetables. I will never say the word veggies as long as I live.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

When people say veggies instead of vegetables. I will never say the word veggies as long as I live.

On this note, I hate the words "boobies" and "titties." That's fine for children, but you're a goddamn adult.

Echoing the goon who hates animal abuse, too. I lived in a farming community not long ago and while I can understand the difference in mindset that would normally accompany that sort of lifestyle, those people were above and beyond cruel. Like, turning down free vaccines because if their cat dies, they'll just get another. Or leaving a dog outside in the winter when it can get to -50 F and being baffled when it dies. Or, and I poo poo you not, throwing mice into a fire to hear them scream. The last story was told at a brunch after my sister mentioned how much she loves her pet rats. gently caress those women.

People who pick apart my every word. If I use a throwaway description like, "a billion people died," this person has to run to the internet and track down the exact number to... show me up, I guess? And it usually has to be in front of a third party so he/she can guffaw about how off I was.

And this one should go without saying, but MRAs and the like. I never realized how important it was to be a feminist until I was told, to my face, "women shouldn't have jobs." I see red. I see red.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

The (very good) vegetable pizza from a local delivery place is called "The Vegelicious". I feel like an idiot whenever I order one.

On that subject, sort of, I hate when people think that others are interested in what they do or don't eat. I've been vegetarian for a really long time, and I just... don't eat meat. I don't talk about it, I don't subscribe to newsletters, I don't make a scene in restaurants, and I certainly don't think that not eating something makes me special or unique. Too many people I know seem to think dietary restrictions are a good substitute for a personality, and will talk at length about the evils of gluten or whatever. Over Christmas, literally all my boyfriends' mom would talk about was her oil-and-salt-free vegan diet of sadness and how wonderful it was. She would then order a meat dish when we went out, because apparently there's a global conspiracy against vegetarians and she just can't fight it all the time. That was a delightful trip.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

I work as a barista in a coffee shop that is on the premises inside of a supermarket, so I don't have the luxury of having doors to actually lock to show being closed. Despite this, we put a barrier across and also stack chairs in a line to show we're closed off.
I guess realistically I should be more understanding when people make the mistake of barging through to ask me if I am indeed as closed as I look, with me out of uniform, counting the money and everything turned off, but it still manages to make me see red each and every time.

In connection to that is people on mobile phones when making an order. Calling or texting. I sort of need to actually get the specifics of the order here, it does me no drat good if you're not even bothered to even try and mouth your order to me, and don't look fussed when I ask you what you're ordering. I'm sure that conversation can go on hold for the five seconds it takes to know what you want or better yet, your coffee can wait til this clearly important chat is done with.

People that tell me they're late for work so can we hurry their drink along. It's not my fault that you're late, and it isn't gonna make the milk heat any faster than it already does. I'm also not going to cut your drink ahead of other people's, either.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Basically just driving pretty much anywhere. I grew up in suburbia so I wasn't used to driving in the one-way streets in SF. I still don't like them even though I have gps in my phone, at least BART isn't striking anymore so the drive over is tolerable.

Driving in Berkeley also annoys me because it has barely any protected left turns. This isn't so bad except for people that wait loving forever in the turn lane for a break in traffic to turn. Just loving turn on the yellow! Also people who take it too far when I'm coming the opposite direction and keep turning left on red. It infuriates me when I have to stop on a green light because some dipshit is still turning, or even worse, blocking the lane because he turned when it was still backed up.

I swear the buses are trying to kill me too. They just don't give a poo poo, either when I'm a pedestrian or driving. There's one street where the two rightmost lanes are both turning lanes but cars and buses often don't know or care that the left lane can turn right too. They just loving turn right into the middle of the street or into the left lane when the right turning lane needs to stay in the right. I give buses a lot of space because obviously they have a wide turning radius but that still doesn't mean you should move over to the left lane during the turn.

Also my girlfriend leaving her hair all over the shower. I don't care if it's your shower, but I don't want to look at your disgusting hair murals on the wall. I told her about it but sometimes she forgets.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

DicktheCat posted:

My pet peeve is when people treat me like my job is unimportant.

The flip side of this is when people get REALLY IMPRESSED by what you do. I get lots of "oooOOOH" and "WHOA" when I tell people I'm a lawyer. I don't tell them I'm temping for my dream firm in legal support, which can be done by an average college graduate with a quasi-legal degree and that I make under $50K a year. And then, of course, come the legal advice solicitations and questions about stuff I have no knowledge about (no, I can't fight your speeding ticket for you, and no, I don't know a lawyer who will represent your friend's cousin's son for free when he gets caught on a drug charge). These solicitations usually come from family members who ask despite having been told repeatedly that I'm not licensed in their state and don't know anything about tax law/divorce law/criminal law. Invent something, and then maybe I can help you.

Veggies doesn't bother me that much, but I can't stand "Cali," "vacay," or "hubby." Just say the drat word! It's one extra syllable! (OK, two-three in "California" depending on pronunciation, but still.)

Another thing that's starting to piss me off is not getting a +1 to weddings. Yeah, I'm going to fly across the country and book a hotel in the middle of nowhere for the weekend to attend your wedding and not even bring my (long-term, live-in) boyfriend? And I'm supposed to drop $200 on a goofy-looking dress, $500 for airfare for destination weddings, bachelorette parties, and showers, plus unspecified amounts on gifts, hair, accessories, shoes, and I still can't bring a date? I get that it's your special day, but you really want me to be the only bridesmaid at your table without a date just because I'm not married? Oh, and if you're GOING to have seven bridesmaids, PLEASE have the venue set up seven place settings. Having an emergency place set for me at the very edge of the table because you hosed up your own seating chart was embarrassing, but it reflects more poorly on you, not me.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

[*]People who are sitting in a window seat at the very back of the plane who get up as soon as the plane gets to the gate and do that awkward hunched under the bag bins position for 10-15 minutes. Sit down and wait your turn.

For anyone over 6 feet after being stuck sitting in a loving uncomfortable seat for the last 5 hours the standing up hunched over position is a dream by comparison.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The flip side of this is when people get REALLY IMPRESSED by what you do. I get lots of "oooOOOH" and "WHOA" when I tell people I'm a lawyer. I don't tell them I'm temping for my dream firm in legal support, which can be done by an average college graduate with a quasi-legal degree and that I make under $50K a year. And then, of course, come the legal advice solicitations and questions about stuff I have no knowledge about (no, I can't fight your speeding ticket for you, and no, I don't know a lawyer who will represent your friend's cousin's son for free when he gets caught on a drug charge). These solicitations usually come from family members who ask despite having been told repeatedly that I'm not licensed in their state and don't know anything about tax law/divorce law/criminal law. Invent something, and then maybe I can help you.

On the same note, when people find out what you do for a living and then expect you to happily do it for them for free.

artdamage
Jun 26, 2013
Middle-aged women who wear novelty Mickey Mouse watches. Yanno, the ones where his arms are the watch hands. The type of people that wear Winnie-the-Pooh t-shirts and socks. Grow up.

Working in a call centre you get to hear the same jokes at least 5 times a day.
"Any criminal convictions?"
"Well I've not been caught yet... hohoho."

"Any items over £10,000?"
"I wish... hehehe."

"Anything else I can help you with?"
"Next week's lottery numbers... hurrrr."

No. Just no. :rant:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another thing that's starting to piss me off is not getting a +1 to weddings.

In your case that was an absolute dick move on the part of the bride, bridal party should always get a +1.

However, when the budget starts to get a bit tight, +1s are ALWAYS the first to go. It's money, not a personal slight. I'm personally only letting people bring their SO if they're in a serious relationship and I can pick out their SO from a lineup/at least know their name. If I let all 150 guests bring a +1, my $30/head dinner goes from $4500 to $9000. And I have to buy double the booze and a cake that's twice as big. gently caress that. Third cousin Timmy's girlfriend is just gonna have to stay home. If he gets butthurt about it he can stay home too and that's $30 back in my pocket.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

On the same note, when people find out what you do for a living and then expect you to happily do it for them for free.

This. I touched on this in my earlier post, but the last thing I want to do in my spare time for free is more of what I already do for 40+ hours a week.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Dog poo poo all over the sidewalks. I have a dog. She poops a lot. I carry little baggies with me. In the event of the surprise poo poo, I find a discarded cup or flyer or something, anything, and I pick up the poo poo. Why am I even bothering to explain this one? Pick up your dog's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I Might Be Adam posted:

- hearing the same tired and lame jokes thrown into the safety announcements from flight attendants (I'm looking at you SouthWest Airlines). Also, nobody gives a poo poo if it is someone's birthday on the flight. I'm really glad I don't fly 4-6 times a month anymore.

I was on a Southwest flight at the end of May, and while we were on approach, the stewardess decided to break into a song about how you would have to be crazy to fly any other airline, while everyone just kind of stared at her in silence. I just don't think a 737 is the place for a musical number.

On that note, people singing in public. Not at say, actual musical venues, but the people yodeling along to their iPods, usually off-key.

Flaccid Trip has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Jul 8, 2013

• Locked thread