Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

All the normal stuff about driving and eating and poo poo. But also:

My lower-middle-class suburban American friends talking about their upcoming "vacay" from "uni." You are not British. Most of you have never left the west coast. I don't know where you get this poo poo.

edit, semi-related: I was writing a paragraph about annoying trends in facebook photo composition, but it was easier to spend five minutes pulling up some examples.

There's no reason for all this leaning. Stand up straight.

I will never understand the significance of people doing this. I think I might be the only person on earth who has not taken one of these photos.

And then there's this thing. Every bridal party and prom group in the last 10 years has apparently done this sassy-grrrl pose.

Any one of these taken individually is just boring. When you see them so many times, after a while they just become annoying.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

There's a guy at work with whom I cannot end a conversation. He's a nice guy and we hang out sometimes, but a simple "oh well, gotta get back to work" bounces off him like throwing pennies at a speeding locomotive. Nine times out of ten, I have to just turn around and start walking away. I feel awfully rude, but I can't really afford to have 45-minute conversations every time I walk over to ask boring work questions. He combines babbling and repetition to act as a black hole of productivity.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I do get frustrated with my cousin sometimes. I think she's 13 now, and she plays intentionally stupid because it gets her more attention. She was pretty smart and did well in school until she was about 10, then she realized she could gently caress around, skip school, and basically be a worthless little poo poo, and it would gain her approval from her dumbass friends and attention from her parents. You can definitely see her playing the role of the ditz sometimes. "Hey Alex, can you grab me a Coke from the fridge?" And in the most valley-girl head-bob accent she can muster, "Siiiigh, what's a Coooke?" And it's such an ugly affectation that I wish I could ship her off to some private school where acting like an idiot wasn't the easiest way to get what you want.

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

"Acrossed" instead of across.

I just kind of assumed it was "acrost," maybe an archaic British-y thing like "whilst."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

E: Just thought of this. That Keep Calm and Cary On logo? gently caress that and every iteration. I could never see any parody of that again in my life and it would be too many. It's beyond old.

And so many are completely wrong. "Keep Calm, Jeter is Back." What the gently caress does that even mean?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I was reminded of one today, one where the annoyance-to-real-world-severity ratio is so high even I find it a little absurd:

:saddowns: I didn't get to bed until 3am in the morning.

Go to hell.

Lamprotornis posted:

Another thing that every instructor I've ever had has done at least once per semester. Lets say they gave a hand-out that was just for our practice, and they specifically say it's not going to be taken up for a grade. The next day, they ask the class to turn it in. Half of a 50-student lecture could remind them of what they said the day before.

"No, I said I was going to take it up for a grade today, remember?"
Silence.
"Remember?"
All it takes is one person to feel uncomfortable with the silence. All they have to do is silently nod a little, and it somehow invalidates the rest of the student's claims.

I don't think I've ever had this happen. I would be mad because I was the brat who always did his homework.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

one line for all checkouts.

This not only seems simpler, it's objectively faster. It's been a while since my graduate course on queueing theory, but I remember learning that it's better in every measurable way, and wondering why more places don't do it. The only place I can think of off the top of my head is Fry's.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Miss Kalle posted:

My mother is / was the same way with this, except she never ran out at stoplights -- in one instance, she totally disregarded my telling her 'we should stop at the gas station at home before we go to the airport so we can catch our flight leaving soon' because she wanted to get gas at a cheaper place about an hour out. We ended up empty on the highway, about ten minutes away from the gas station she wanted to go to, and it took around 20-30 minutes for someone to pull over and help us get enough in the tank to get there. :doh:

At least we didn't miss the flight.

My dad loves to use every last drop of gas, and is hyper-conscious about stopping at only the cheapest places, but he also takes flight-missing very seriously. I remember being dragged out of bed at 4am for 11am flights when I was little. The airport was an hour away. :sigh:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Saturation advertising. I watched maybe 20 Youtube videos yesterday, and every single one of them had the same trite ad for the Galaxy S4.

It's even worse on local TV/radio, I assume because they don't get a lot of demand. There's a regional chain mattress store that barely advertises about mattresses anymore, because they're too busy congratulating themselves about all the work they do for foster children. Maybe they're doing good things, but they definitely lose graciousness points when they jerk themselves off about it a hundred times a day. Their ads aren't quite as jarring as the aaaarms of the angel animal-abuse ads on Comedy Central, but they're still pretty bad. "Will I have enough school suppwies this yeaw?" "I gwew out of my wintow coat!"

Factor that in at least once per ad break, multiplied by every one of the five or six radio stations I regularly listen to, and I am absolutely sick of them.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I've never been one to expend effort to park close to the door, so I end up walking across parking lots with some regularity. This happens sometimes, and it annoys me.

Say I'm walking at a normal pace down one aisle of the parking lot, and a car is driving down another aisle perpendicular to mine. We're about the same distance from the intersection of the two aisles. Now, the car is faster than me; if he maintains his speed, he'll be through the intersection long before I get there. Instead, he stops and waits for me to cross.

Is he trying to be polite? Probably. Is it the safe thing to do? Maybe. Does it hold up traffic and compel me to do that little scamper-run walk to indicate that I recognize his good intentions and don't want to make him wait longer than he has to? Ugh yes.

edit: This is pretty much true at non-signaled crosswalks, too. If you (car) and I (pedestrian) are going to arrive at the intersection at roughly the same time, I would prefer to be the one who stops and lets you through. I know it's a pain to be bopping along at cruising speed and have to brake for some knucklehead who just struts out into traffic rather than break stride for five seconds. I don't want to be that knucklehead; it's much easier for me to stop/start than it is for you. Of course you can't assume all pedestrians will make this minor concession, so it's probably safer to assume everyone's an oblivious idiot. :sigh:

walrusman has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Aug 7, 2013

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

hambeet posted:

People who circle looking for the closest spot. I'm with walrusman here, I drive around the outskirts and always find a park straight away. I then walk past all the morons still circling looking for a park that I saw when I drove in. Not saving time at all you lazy fucks!

What about when someone's signalling to turn into a parking spot that has yet to be vacated? Bonus points if the driver of the parked car is just that moment trundling out of Costco with two heaping carts full of $800 worth of groceries, and is clearly going to take five minutes to load them all. Are you just going to sit there and wait? What about the growing line of people stuck behind you? Do you have some condition like David Carradine at the end of Kill Bill 2 where you'll die if you take more than five steps?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I thought of another one, but it's pretty minor and a little difficult to explain. I guess it can be summarized as "when audio is edited to be intentionally choppy." Radio stations seem to be the worst offenders, but maybe that's just because I consume lots of audio that way.

For example: a local radio station runs these promos where a guy enthusiastically tells you about upcoming concerts and how you can win tickets. For no discernible reason, they seem to recycle some of the snippets of the script, and then just chop it together and splice in a few new words about the upcoming show. They always cut them together too close, resulting in this weird staccato feeling to the whole thing. It goes beyond the normal radio-announcer bombast and becomes uncomfortable to listen to.

"All this week || we're giving away tickets to see || Whitesnake || and Three Doors Dooown || at the || Douglas county fair! || Listen to KZEL || every morning at || 8:15 || for your chance to win!"

I don't know why they do it this way; the guy clearly still works for the station and could just as easily do a fresh recording that doesn't sound overprocessed and jittery. Does he get paid by the word or something?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I recently watched a guy dry his hands with a paper towel, blow his nose into it, use it to open the bathroom door, and then throw it away.

loving gross.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Liquor laws vary so much state-by-state. I remember going to the liquor store once with my dad and brother when I was about 13 and he was 9. They let us in because we were both obviously with my dad, but I got the stink-eye and my brother didn't get a second glance. Must be a sweet spot.

Our liquor control commission is really strict, too. My buddy and I were once on our way to a group camping trip and stopped to pick up some whiskey on the way out of town. He stayed in his car (a decommissioned forest service Tahoe with a normal paint job but antennas and spotlights intact) while I ran inside to get the goods. When I got to the counter, they fairly snottily demanded my ID, and the ID of my friend waiting in the car. I'm not sure what they would have done if he'd been under 21. They were just sure it was a sting, because the liquor control commission pulls that sort of stuff all the time.

Pet peeve: arbitrary government power-flexing, I guess.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sometimes the internet is its own best housekeeper.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I went to a concert tonight, and Christ I hate it when people clap along.

The problem is twofold. First, most people have poo poo rhythm. As a drummer, this sticks out to me like a sore thumb. If you're 0.07 beats behind your buddy, how can you not notice that?

But even if everyone in the venue had perfect rhythm, there's another problem. Y'see, sound takes time to travel from one place to another. If you clap in time with the music you hear, and I clap in time with the music I hear at the other end of the row, our clapping is going to sound out of sync to each other. It's unavoidable, and it sucks. I wish artists would stop encouraging this summer-camp bullshit.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

Drivers on the freeway who pass on the right. I really don't understand people who do that when the left lane is for that purpose: to pass cars that are not going as fast as you would like to go. I find it really off-putting, especially since the lane to the right of me is invariably going to have cars going slower, and the person trying to pass me is either going to have to slam on their brakes or swerve right in front of me in the little space they have. I purposely keep out of the far left lane because it is for people who want to pass. Get the memo, Seattle drivers!

It's the direct fault of people who don't use the passing lane for passing. Be mad at those fuckers.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You mean like when you see somebody just shredding the poo poo out of Guitar Hero and someone like me says hey what if you'd spent that time actually learning to play a real guitar because then you'd get laid?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Celery Face posted:

The teacher also cries at pretty much anything,

Based on my experience with the social justice movement, this doesn't surprise me at all. Seems like they crank the gain on their feelings-sensors so high that they can barely function in normal society.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Related: when the total is $6.15, and I give the cashier $11.15, and she hands me back the extra buck with a condescending smirk or a snide "that's too much."

Or when she punches in "11.15" and the change pops up as an even $5.00, and she looks at me like I'm some kind of dark wizard.

Thank god for credit cards.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The tumblr mock threads were my favorite threads ages and I'm fairly upset that they're gone. There must be some behind-the-scenes poo poo related to the most recent one, because I didn't see anything that warranted closing it (and they were finally moving on from the goddamn yaoi derail). No backseat mod. Sad, sad.

Having driven 150 miles for family Christmas today, I'm reminded of all the normal highway peeves: fast lane abuse, changing lanes without signalling, tailgating, and generally not watching where you're goddamn going. I was also transporting grandma, who is a gasper. :argh:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Just tell the clueless old lady where to find the canned beans. It's not that hard to be polite and accommodating to strangers, whether you're being paid to or not. (This isn't directed at Leal, who has a non-beans-related job to do; it's directed at everyone getting bent out of shape about harmless interaction with other human beings.)

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Drivers who see a cop and immediately have to reduce their speed by 10mph, even if they were just doing the speed limit.

"Far and few between." That's not how that saying works.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

This is a weird one, and it has bothered me since I was a little kid.

Sometimes, lazy newsreaders will sum up a story like this: "Mr. Smith is in court today, charged with having gay sex in the bathroom of a Greyhound bus." For one thing, they're cramming as many details into the front end as possible, to try and grab the listener's attention. It's clumsy, but at least I understand why it's done.

The real peeve is, "having gay sex in the bathroom of a Greyhound bus" is not a crime. It might be illegal, but the charges (a real legal term with a specific definition) arising from it might be sodomy, indecent exposure, trespassing...open your local statute book and I guarantee you will find no mention of Greyhound buses or bathrooms or gay sex. A better phrasing would be, "Mr. Smith is in court today, charged with sodomy and first-degree sexual misconduct related to an incident in which he was caught having gay sex in the bathroom of a Greyhound bus." More words, but more correct.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That's funny, because if they were the only car at that light, it would probably never change. After one bad experience, I now always watch for the sensor and try to center myself directly on top of it.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

Nothing says honoring someones legacy like farming it out to make a profit... classy

Pet peeve: people writing "sale" when they mean "sell."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

When watching craft/DIY Youtube videos or reading articles, I think it's extremely misleading to call something "The Amazing $20 Greenhouse!" and then go on to detail how you got most of the stuff for free so the advertised cost could never be reproduced in a million years.

"Yeah okay so I'm gonna be using the plastic sheeting that I took off my uncle's camper shed, and nails and screws I had laying around from an old drywall job I did for my buddy Dan, and the frame and foundation of my old greenhouse. I found this fan and these louver vents at the scrapyard for two bucks apiece and one of the hinges was rusty so I treated myself to a can of WD-40. All for under $20!"

gently caress you.

• Locked thread