Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

rodbeard posted:

What is so bad about not liking country or rap music? I mean both of those genres seem to have an entire culture that goes with them, so it seems like a lot of people wouldn't like those genres of music.

The issue is the blanket statement earlier where someone likes everything but rap and country. There's roughly a billion reasons why it's a dumb statement. First being that a person probably doesn't like every non rap/country genre because there's a ton and a lot of them have very small followings, and that's without stretching it further and going with tribal music or something of that ilk. The primary issue is that people usually denounce both genres without listening to anything at all from either genre. Both genres are pretty broad overall. For example if you want to stretch country out, you end up with folk, bluegrass, and southern/country rock which overlaps a lot of people's favorite genre. CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd are fairly universally popular and I'd hedge to bet a lot of people in question will listen to them (along with Johnny Cash who's closer to the country people think of when they hear the genre). Rap falls under this too.

Of course someone making a statement like that probably isn't dividing out the genres into likes and dislikes, however, it is still ignorant as hell and mostly shows that they've already made an opinion on everything in that genre without giving it so much as a listen. I'm not a huge fan of either genre, however, there's specific songs and artists I really like in each genre, not all rap is the stereotype people put on it.

E: I realize if a song/album comes out in a genre you don't prefer, obviously you'll probably shy away from it, what I'm trying to get at is ignorantly denouncing an entire very broad genre of music without giving it the slightest thought.

As for my pet peeve, I hate when my drat earphones get caught on something, then when I make any small movement, they immediately pop out. I could have been listening to some network revealing that I just won the lottery and that would still ruin my mood.

marioinblack has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
On the hot dog topic, I don't understand why people put basic condiments like ketchup and mustard on top of the wiener itself. I've always lifted the dog and put it on the bun part and placed the dog on top of it. It's always less messy and the condiments don't slide around on the greasy wiener portion. So my pet peeve is people who think I'm weird for doing a pretty normal thing with hot dogs in my mind at least.

Also my related pet peeve is lovely buns that break in half too easily and get ketchup all over my hands. :argh:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
A major pet peeve of mine is people who refuse to watch certain movies for inane reasons. I understand not being interested in the medium as a whole, but I'm talking about people who refuse to watch something like Citizen Kane because it's old and in black and white or a foreign language film because they have to read. I can understand my mom not ever wanting to watch Schindler's List and 12 Years a Slave because she has an aversion to movies with such heavy themes. I have no issue with a reason like this; I only have issues with dumb reasons as mentioned.

• Locked thread